S366 Turbo Question

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Another thing to consider: what kind of S366 do you want? Do you want a "little" T3 like a Silver Bullet or HTT? Or would you consider a T4 foot "big" S366 on a BW frame?

Just something to ponder.

I like tacos.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
II Phat shaft 66 for now then slap a s480 under it later. If I was doing twins that would be my setup. Maybe even am s483.

Are guys running T4 66's as the top charger in setups?

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Mine is on a T4 frame. Well I am leaning toward an S472 if I can get one for the right price. Otherwise run the S366 for another year to save up some money. It also depends on what happens with my motor and how much I sink into that. :angel:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
With compounds you're pushing all the air from the large charger through a small inlet.

If you tow at all, get twins. This turbo has no problem towing light. But if I was to have to pull 10k+ i could see it being hot and difficult.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you tried to tow heavier. We towed my truck on a trailer behind another from NC to Florida, the truck towing had a cast S472 with a 1.1 AR housing, dual fuelers, stock manifolds and up-pipes, and 40% overs, and the EGTs were just fine - 5th gear cruise set at 70 mph.

We also towed my truck to the 2010 DPC with an LBZ with stock fuel system and a cast S475 with .9 AR - again 5th gear, cruise at 70, through the mountains of western NC, Eastern TN, and into Kentucky - no problems. When we got home I towed that LBZ behind my truck with a cast S480, 87mm turbine - with that setup I had to keep RPM above 1800* when I hit inclines.

Believe it or not the S400 will be easier on your rods than the S366 - it will take a little more RPM to spool and will have less low end torque. A billet/bat S366 spools very close to stock LB7 and gets a lot of torque under 2000 RPM.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you tried to tow heavier. We towed my truck on a trailer behind another from NC to Florida, the truck towing had a cast S472 with a 1.1 AR housing, dual fuelers, stock manifolds and up-pipes, and 40% overs, and the EGTs were just fine - 5th gear cruise set at 70 mph.

We also towed my truck to the 2010 DPC with an LBZ with stock fuel system and a cast S475 with .9 AR - again 5th gear, cruise at 70, through the mountains of western NC, Eastern TN, and into Kentucky - no problems. When we got home I towed that LBZ behind my truck with a cast S480, 87mm turbine - with that setup I had to keep RPM above 1800* when I hit inclines.

Believe it or not the S400 will be easier on your rods than the S366 - it will take a little more RPM to spool and will have less low end torque. A billet/bat S366 spools very close to stock LB7 and gets a lot of torque under 2000 RPM.
well shit good info. i have no low end torque between this charger and my tuning. hoping that makes the rods last a while. or offsets some damage nitrous might cause. but on the top end, this turbo is pretty crazy. i cant wait to get some fuel to it after i build my motor.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Sorry for hijacking the thread maybe I should start my own,

I want to push 850hp all said and done, dd around 550-600. I want fast spooling, I do think compound turbo is the way to go, I do some towing not lots but some long trips.

I am partial towards twins, mainly just because its cool :cool: but if some one can give me a valid reason why a big single is better maybe go that route, I am not dead set on twinning I just want to reach my power goals reliable and still be able to dd my truck

Depending on engine mods to hit the power level you've posted you will likely need more than a standard S472 , I would say min a S475 , the S472 would maybe hit that # but would take a great deal of fuel to get you there , and either will be running close to there limit at 850 hp with out modification ( larger turbine , billet wheels , ect ) , both are very street friendly with the right setup , but while being capable of towing they cant come close to compounds in there towing capabilities.

The way i rate a turbo for being a "towing capable setup " isn't weather it can do it under certain circumstances or with the right driver or special TCM tune , ect , I figure if you could hand your wife or girlfriend the keys have them tow at any elevation or scenario , I consider it a towing friendly setup , but depending on your elevation , and driving style the S400's can be suitable still , If you want to go over some different setups give me a shout , we have done a lot of turbo testing purely for our own education , we dont sell it if we haven't ran it before - singles , true twin turbo's , triple turbo's , and many different twin turbo setups ( compounds) and can go over the pro's and cons of each setup , we have tested every combo mentioned in this thread so far on the same trucks so we have done some very good comparisons.

To any one else looking at different setups , there is no such thing as a one size fits all turbo setup , each have pro's and con's , and these days there are quite a few options to choose from , and many different opinions of whats best , talk to as people as you can and make a educated decision .

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
The way i rate a turbo for being a "towing capable setup " isn't weather it can do it under certain circumstances or with the right driver or special TCM tune , ect , I figure if you could hand your wife or girlfriend the keys have them tow at any elevation or scenario , I consider it a towing friendly setup , but depending on your elevation , and driving style the S400's can be suitable still , If you want to go over some different setups give me a shout , we have done a lot of turbo testing purely for our own education , we dont sell it if we haven't ran it before - singles , true twin turbo's , triple turbo's , and many different twin turbo setups ( compounds) and can go over the pro's and cons of each setup , we have tested every combo mentioned in this thread so far on the same trucks so we have done some very good comparisons.

Thats the way a good towing set up should be. I need to be able to pass the keys off sometimes.

How is that 366 going to be for towing while I wait to compound it?

will I get to my hp goals with that 366 and say a 480 or something like that?

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Very well said Trent.

With proper TCM tuning you could pass the keys off to an idiot and let them tow with your truck with an S400, but who wants to let an idiot drive your truck? Who wants to let an idiot tow your trailer behind your truck (even bone stock)? And who wants to let an idiot drive or tow with your 600+ rwhp truck?

If you called and said you put more miles on your truck with a trailer than without I would not recommend an S400. I was pointing out that you can tow with one without problems. An S366 on the other hand will tow very well, especially in Billet or Bat form. I have a local customer with an LB7 on 35s that tows up to 30,000 lbs truck and trailer(after getting a ticket for 36,000 he decided to start towing "lighter") - he loves his Bat S366 and we didn't do any TCM tuning on it. Now we're building his motor so that we can turn it up to the 800+ rwhp that that turbo is capable of.

After all the turbos I've tested I'll be running an S366 on my DD tow rig.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I have a local customer with an LB7 on 35s that tows up to 30,000 lbs truck and trailer(after getting a ticket for 36,000 he decided to start towing "lighter") - he loves his Bat S366 and we didn't do any TCM tuning on it. Now we're building his motor so that we can turn it up to the 800+ rwhp that that turbo is capable of.

The S366 with a Batmo is capable of 800+HP?

Could I just get a billet wheel and a race cover for my S366 and push it up around 800HP?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
The S366 with a Batmo is capable of 800+HP?

Could I just get a billet wheel and a race cover for my S366 and push it up around 800HP?

Yup. :thumb:

You better have aloooooot of fuel , and a few extra turbo's to swap in when it pops , but yes with enough fuel the billet S366's have hit those numbers , but its being pushed very hard to do so . Its best to pick a turbo that can hit the desired power in the "sweet spot" of the map , at realistic P/R ratio and not be at or past its limits to hit X power .

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
You better have aloooooot of fuel , and a few extra turbo's to swap in when it pops , but yes with enough fuel the billet S366's have hit those numbers , but its being pushed very hard to do so . Its best to pick a turbo that can hit the desired power in the "sweet spot" of the map , at realistic P/R ratio and not be at or past its limits to hit X power .

Yeah I am really looking at a S472 and a Cam on my build to help get it into the power band. Can you PM me a quote on an S472 just the turbo Trent?

Is a race cover and or a billet wheel helpful? I know the billet wheel will help with spool up but what does a race cover do?