S366 Turbo Question

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
not to highjack the thread but what is the hp gonna be on a s466 . A friend of mine wants to buy one and asked me what kind of hp he would get out of it .

The S466 will be about the same as the S366 , a tad more due to the larger turbine , but not all S466's have the same exducer size , so if its the "box" wheel it will be close , if its a sled pulling model with a 100mm + exducer it could be 200 HP more depending on specifics .

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Out of curiosity, what kind of difference in egt would a guy see between a 472/366 in a 600hp truck?

I would say the S472 is going to run around 150-200 deg cooler at 600 hp , depends on whether its a billet S366 or cast, turbine size , ect. There are so many variables to EGT's that its impossible to answer dean on, but that number is good enough for purchasing comparisons .

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
With my 66/73/.91ar cast housing nothing special turbo I see 1600˚ at the highest while pulling or drag racing. That is with a mean tune and stock manifolds and up pipes.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
i can peg a 1600 degree gauge in the summer time. since its ben cold it tops out at about 1400. stock injectors and cp3

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
getting ready to order a turbo soon, I have a dual fueler coming and injector tips to be sent away,

My plan was to get a 366 right now and plan to twin it down the road, after I build my motor, or should I just go with a s472?

duramaxxin73

Mar 5, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
If your planning on building your motor, and planning on running 2.6. Then I would go with a s475. I don't know how competitive your 2.6 class is out there though, and if your still planning on driving the truck.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
If you're planning to twin, I would definitely suggest going the 366 route. The thing about it all is to talk to several guys that already have a large twin set up in their truck. A 366 can produce monster power compounded. Username "quadracer" (I think that's who I'm thinking of) has a 366/483 compound set up and if I remember his sig says he puts down over 900hp. 770JOHNNYW is a friend of mine and he has a big twin set up as well and it's definitely up there as well.

As a single, a 366 can provide plenty of power by itself especially on a built motor and fueling modifications. So while you are waiting for you're savings account to replenish for your compound set up, you could have plenty of fun with the single.

There are plenty of guys here that have the experience with large twins on this forum. Figure out what your goals are and build your short block to meet the demands your goin to be placing on the engine at its foreseeable future. Go from there.

I like tacos.

Last edited:

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
Sorry for hijacking the thread maybe I should start my own,

I want to push 850hp all said and done, dd around 550-600. I want fast spooling, I do think compound turbo is the way to go, I do some towing not lots but some long trips.

I am partial towards twins, mainly just because its cool :cool: but if some one can give me a valid reason why a big single is better maybe go that route, I am not dead set on twinning I just want to reach my power goals reliable and still be able to dd my truck

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
The efficiency of a large single vs compounding is what made the decision for me. I can move as much/more air with a single that's slightly smaller than the bottom charger of a compound setup. And you can't beat the snap of a single lighting

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
sorry I am not super turbo savy, the only reason I can think a single would move more air is because it is getting more turbine inlet pressure than the atmospheric one would be on a twin set up?

Do you tow with ur 472?
the twins should spool way faster correct, and be much better for towing (lower egts)
I have never had a problem with egts but running more fuel might give me some issues

I would aslo rather have the turbos spooling asap rather than playing catch up half way down the track

Last edited:

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
With compounds you're pushing all the air from the large charger through a small inlet.

If you tow at all, get twins. This turbo has no problem towing light. But if I was to have to pull 10k+ i could see it being hot and difficult.

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
that settles it, thanks, I will just go with the 366 for now and twin it down the road,

I pull some 6-8000lb loads on some 1500 mi round trips