running a 4l80e behind a duramax

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
There's a beat up lbz van with 400k for $5000 in kalamazoo Michigan. Drives good, I took it for a spin. Injector balance rates were better than my truck, but I'm still on the originals

Van was beat up. Don't think there was a sq ft on it not scraped dented or scratched including the roof. On the phone the tard said it looked 'great for the mileage'.

Last edited:

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
Jakes transmission sells a standalone controller (at bottom of the page) they also have a transbrake that you can hook this adapter to and run as a manual valve body. Their transbrake is the best I've ever seen for a 4l80, releases supper fast and uses a stock pan. Just so you know if you wanted to go manual you get a sweet transbrake in the deal as well

http://www.jakesperformance.com/4L80E_Components.html

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
i run a dmax 4l85 in a heavy towing setup... i havent turned the hp up dues to stock tranny but it does hole more then stock Van tuneing... i will say make sue you have the alison flex plate
i did this to the factory 4l85 flexplate and fw
531322_4013949860706_1657729267_n.jpg

378350_4013952300767_864947151_n.jpg

576044_4016150875730_1284792981_n.jpg

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Jakes transmission sells a standalone controller (at bottom of the page) they also have a transbrake that you can hook this adapter to and run as a manual valve body. Their transbrake is the best I've ever seen for a 4l80, releases supper fast and uses a stock pan. Just so you know if you wanted to go manual you get a sweet transbrake in the deal as well

http://www.jakesperformance.com/4L80E_Components.html

How many different trans brakes have you used?

PROLSXSS

Jul 13, 2012
Iv used every possible brake for the 4l80e and Jake's are hands down the best and as for his manual shifting box iv been doing my manual shifting 4l80e's electronically that way for years it takes 5 minutes to change a plug into a manual controller that only requires 12 volts

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Iv used every possible brake for the 4l80e and Jake's are hands down the best and as for his manual shifting box iv been doing my manual shifting 4l80e's electronically that way for years it takes 5 minutes to change a plug into a manual controller that only requires 12 volts
I've used Jake's also, and now I have a Rossler brake...

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
I've used Jake's also, and now I have a Rossler brake...

Rossler and jake. I've never driven in any of these but have ridden in them. Jakes is by far the fastest releasing IMO theRossler was very slow to release and leaving on foot was better (500whp rwd tbss). Jakes seems to be the best thought out and simplified. The jakes in a 4500lb extended cab 95 silvy leaves awesome on 6-7lbs of boost. Instant release. However be sure to clean their valve body out we had trash stick the solenoid and smoke the reverse band on first test (reverse band had 200k miles probably so it was weak) but there's no hesitations. Also some good info on yellow bullet about it

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
what model did you use his new D3 setup or his older 1st gear only design josh?
I had Jake's newest brake, and I now have the newest version of the Rossler brake. I can tell no discernible difference, but I can tell you that I had to shorten the pulse time on the Bump Box with the Rossler brake.

Rossler and jake. I've never driven in any of these but have ridden in them. Jakes is by far the fastest releasing IMO theRossler was very slow to release and leaving on foot was better (500whp rwd tbss). Jakes seems to be the best thought out and simplified. The jakes in a 4500lb extended cab 95 silvy leaves awesome on 6-7lbs of boost. Instant release. However be sure to clean their valve body out we had trash stick the solenoid and smoke the reverse band on first test (reverse band had 200k miles probably so it was weak) but there's no hesitations. Also some good info on yellow bullet about it
How old was the Rossler brake? I think mine is version 3.

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
I had Jake's newest brake, and I now have the newest version of the Rossler brake. I can tell no discernible difference, but I can tell you that I had to shorten the pulse time on the Bump Box with the Rossler brake.

How old was the Rossler brake? I think mine is version 3.

I'm guessing V2, about two years old. Why did you switch?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm guessing V2, about two years old. Why did you switch?
I kept burning up clutches with Jake's stuff. Since my trans isn't under warranty anymore, I didn't want to have to pay to keep putting clutches in it, and I didn't want to try to figure out how to get his brake to work with someone else's valve body and pump mods. Jake had to go into it 3 times before it was out of warranty, and it kept doing the same thing.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I kept burning up clutches with Jake's stuff. Since my trans isn't under warranty anymore, I didn't want to have to pay to keep putting clutches in it, and I didn't want to try to figure out how to get his brake to work with someone else's valve body and pump mods. Jake had to go into it 3 times before it was out of warranty, and it kept doing the same thing.

So you had a Jake trans with a rossler brake?

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
No, I had a transmission from Jake with his brake. I think it was his Stage 4 transmission. I just swapped to the Rossler brake.

Ohh, this is not good news

Ah well, guess I will see what I can break in mine.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Ohh, this is not good news

Ah well, guess I will see what I can break in mine.

Jake has a great reputation in the gasser world. I think he didn't take my van very seriously. I was also a little disappointed in the work quality. It seems his employees use air impacts as torque wrenches.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Jake has a great reputation in the gasser world. I think he didn't take my van very seriously. I was also a little disappointed in the work quality. It seems his employees use air impacts as torque wrenches.

Yea he is def very near the top of builders if you want a 80e behind your SBC, other than mine taking forever to get built I can't complain yet. Hopefully when it runs in a month or two I can get a full review in. Mine is just the manual 1st gear transbrake, but I prob will just be footbraking the car.

Sorry for derail OP. :eek:

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
Jakes definitely didn't build any of the shops transmissions. Haven't had any issues yet since we replaced the reverse band but its only made a few track passes. I don't think that the valve body change would mess with clutch reliability to much as long as the tune is spot on. 80e's seem to be good to 1000hp + with just clutches behind a gasser but never dealt with any behind a diesel.