running a 4l80e behind a duramax

PROLSXSS

Jul 13, 2012
hi there how hard is it to run a 4l80e behind a duramax where iam i have readily available 4l80e's and am doing a conversion and was wondering if i could run the box behind my LLY and how hard it would be to wire it up so the standard ECM runes it any help would be greatly appreciated

GRNASTY

Feb 17, 2013
i wouldnt sugest it ... its a hard core trans but these motors make sooo much torque.... but then agin everone says a 2004r is a pos i got a buil one that will take 1k hp...all billet stuff.... just remember it cost to be the boss!:thumb:

400 or powerglide is so much esier to made bullet proof.... coming from a gas drag racer.... my trailblazer has a 4l70E i think its stock but ive seen them explode like a bomb .. its only been 13.55 with stock tires on stock 20's

PROLSXSS

Jul 13, 2012
thanks man i have built alot of 4l80e's strong with billet gear in them im just after the Overdrive as it is a street car

GRNASTY

Feb 17, 2013
how much hp ? 200r4 is ideal street od tran when built buy a pro... I had a backyard built 2004r last 5 yrs with 450 hp 1.55 60fts daily driven in a 3,770lb car with me in it... after it broke only a sprag .. not the builders faught i got a full billet internal trans .. it would wrinkle 275/50/15 mt street DR's

Last edited:

GRNASTY

Feb 17, 2013
your fine if its a street car i thought u wanted to put it behind a dmax ... ive only seen one grand national with a dmax an he didnt say what trans

PROLSXSS

Jul 13, 2012
iv made 1000rwhp but on gas cars with 4l80e iv built but the duramax i will have around 450rwhp but alot of torque

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
i wouldnt sugest it ... its a hard core trans but these motors make sooo much torque.... but then agin everone says a 2004r is a pos i got a buil one that will take 1k hp...all billet stuff.... just remember it cost to be the boss!:thumb:

400 or powerglide is so much esier to made bullet proof.... coming from a gas drag racer.... my trailblazer has a 4l70E i think its stock but ive seen them explode like a bomb .. its only been 13.55 with stock tires on stock 20's

80e is a 400 with OD AFAIK.

Jakes rates em at some pretty high tq ratings
http://jakesperformance.com/4L80E.html

Hell, even my stage 2 is ~750hp rated.

PROLSXSS

Jul 13, 2012
i know they are a th400 with overdrive infront of them iv built like 10-15 of them for friends and my self

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
It will work fine if you don't push 4th gear hard. I built a 4L85 for a black Gran National with a Duramax.

PROLSXSS

Jul 13, 2012
It will work fine if you don't push 4th gear hard. I built a 4L85 for a black Gran National with a Duramax.

thanks mike. L any upgrades you would do to it to make it live with some bigger tunes and also who converter should i use

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I run a 4L80E in the race van. It's the factory combo with the Duramax in the vans. I had some less than stellar results with my "professional" big name builder, but I'm hoping I have better results this year. Since it is the factory setup, I can't provide any input on the conversion, but the only hard parts that were upgraded are the billet input and main shaft and a billet forward clutch hub.

GRNASTY

Feb 17, 2013
You two may be talking about the same car. Diesel 5's, correct?

not sure but he posted pics on turbobuick.com an its the only GN ive seen with a DMAX btw all GN's are black an all 89 TTA's are white only color u could get them in.

PROLSXSS

Jul 13, 2012
I run a 4L80E in the race van. It's the factory combo with the Duramax in the vans. I had some less than stellar results with my "professional" big name builder, but I'm hoping I have better results this year. Since it is the factory setup, I can't provide any input on the conversion, but the only hard parts that were upgraded are the billet input and main shaft and a billet forward clutch hub.

what tunes are you running in the van and do you know of any van wiring harnesses around at all?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
what tunes are you running in the van and do you know of any van wiring harnesses around at all?
I do all my own tuning. I don't know of any extra wiring harnesses, but if you check around on different auction websites (IAA, Copart, or the like) you can find wrecked diesel vans for a pretty good price.