Rod to rod clearance on same journal??

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
I am currently putting my short block together with Carillo rods. Using my stock crank, just had it polished and mag'd. My question is what kind of clearance should I have between the 2 rods on the same journal? It seems the cap is a little tight going on. It still turns but there is no play when you move them back and forth. I know with small blocks I have always been able to get them to tick side to side. This one I cant and just wonding if it is too tight. I have the caps on the correct direction, rods on the right way with flat sides touching and beveled side against the crank.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Rods

Something is not correct. You might want to double check the rods and make sure there correct. Also make sure you have the bearings on the rods correct. There is a top and bottom bearing. Jeff

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Something is not correct. You might want to double check the rods and make sure there correct. Also make sure you have the bearings on the rods correct. There is a top and bottom bearing. Jeff

Yeah I have those right too. Bearing with groove on outer edge on rod cap and the one with the groove slightly in goes in the rod. I have removed and installed 3 times and all of them are the same. Not getting it.

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
I know you said you checked, but the bearings are in wrong or you have a rod installed wrong. It's probably the bearing installed incorrectly. What bearings are you using? GM or Clevite?

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
I know you said you checked, but the bearings are in wrong or you have a rod installed wrong. It's probably the bearing installed incorrectly. What bearings are you using? GM or Clevite?

They are clevlite bearings. Bearings are in right and so are the rods. Believe me I checked three times and I have all the rods in the proper way and they are all doing it. I will check again when I get home but I swear they are in right. Like I said in my earlier post bearing with notch all the way to the outside goes in the cap, notch slightly in fromt he outside goes on the rod itself. Both flat sides of rod touching, edges that are chamfered towards the block.

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
If your using clevite, they are labeled upper and lower. So that should be easy. Have you checked that the numbers on the rods match the caps? To have them all tight is odd. Don't pull your hair out over it though, it's nothing serious, something simple and easy to fix is wrong.

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
If your using clevite, they are labeled upper and lower. So that should be easy. Have you checked that the numbers on the rods match the caps? To have them all tight is odd. Don't pull your hair out over it though, it's nothing serious, something simple and easy to fix is wrong.

I haven't checked the caps to match the rods. I will do that tonight. I haven't switched them since they came in the mail. I gave them to the machine shop for the balance job and figured they had to stay with the same rod due to the weight.
Thanks for the assistance. Im sure its something simple. Just taking my time and dont want to have to do it over again.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I haven't checked the caps to match the rods. I will do that tonight. I haven't switched them since they came in the mail. I gave them to the machine shop for the balance job and figured they had to stay with the same rod due to the weight.
Thanks for the assistance. Im sure its something simple. Just taking my time and dont want to have to do it over again.

Sometimes pics are worth a 1000 words. If you get a chance, can you snap a few pics (might show something, might not, but worth a shot).

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If the bearings are installed like you say, they are in wrong.
That was my initial thought too. One way to know for sure is the edge of the rod bearing should be all the way over against the flat side of the rod (the edge that is up against the other rod).

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Okay well my bearings were in backwards. I didnt pay any attention to the bottom of the bearing say it was an upper or lower. I went off of the all-data instructions. Im thinking these instructions are for GM only bearings?
View attachment Scan_Doc0027.pdf

If you put the Clevite bearings in this way THEY ARE BACKWARDS. Strange I think. Call me a dumb ass but if this helps someone else out in the future then Im good with it.
Thank you guys for your help and even though I said I checked it over and over it wasn't right.

Attachments

• Scan_Doc0027.pdf
    848.1 KB · Views: 25

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Good deal

It's not stupid to ask a question!!! It's stupid to not ask and tear something up. As Jerod has said we all learn from are mistakes and if anyone tells you they didn't make any they are not telling the truth. Jeff

Last edited: