Rings wore out?

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
Changed the oil today. I have noticed over awhile a haze from the exhaust and from the breather and if I take the oil fill cap off or the dipstick. It is not enough to blow the dipstick out, but just curious as to what you think. Changed the oil let the truck run and slipped a hose over the dip stick tube and stuck the other end in a quart of water only and inch deep. If I went deeper, it would not blow out any air bubbles. Does this mean that my rings are going?View attachment 30222

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I was able to watch it looked like a soda bottle. Video was not that clear looked like it was some bubble action going on. But it was not like it was a lot. Do a video so we can see normal blow by out the oil cap.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
compression test and leak down test would tell you a lot more than bubbles in a bottle of water

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
Here is a copy of my oil tests. Explain to me how a leak down test works. I have a compression tester, but does it involve using a glow plug hole?
picture.php

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
yes take all the glow plugs out and put the tester in one hole at a time and crank over several revolutions until the gauges stops climbing and record your numbers and then post them here.

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
I will have to see how that works. Due to the area I live in, that part of my engine is VERY rusty. Chunks falling of kind of rusty. Not sure how well that will work out. I will try and look into it.

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
yes take all the glow plugs out and put the tester in one hole at a time and crank over several revolutions until the gauges stops climbing and record your numbers and then post them here.

This is not a leak down test

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
leak down test is making sure the valves are closed for the cylinder being tested and supplying shop air and and determining where the are is bypassing from rings it would come from the crankcase vent or out the dipstick tube or oil fill cap. air coming from the intake side is intake vale and exhaust would be the exhaust valve not sealing or head gasket would be making bubbles in the cooling system. but you might have to take the t stats out i'm not sure if the air would get past the t stats. also they make leakdown testers with gauges on them to show the percent of air leaking by

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
I will have to look into the compression test sometime. Don't really have to time right now or the place to do it. Plus I am afraid that taking the glowplugs out will result in needing some new parts.

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
Almost a year later! Better late than never! Had compression test done and the glow plugs replaced. All cylinders were between 420 and 440 except for one at 375. Also there was only one functioning glow plug! He had 2 of them bust off, but still managed to get them out. Now it will start good come winter.:thumb:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Yeah you need to find out what is happening there it's not too low but its drastically different from the rest.

When I did mine they were all super low but within 10% or less of each other.