Red Alto or Rybestos

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
What set up are you running now?

Alto power packs c1-c4, transgo kit with their converter valve and shim in the regulator. Have about 60k miles on it, I also used an overhaul kit to replace wear items/ all the pistons/ lip seals. It hasn't given me any problems, about 530hp but I'm not abusive on it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Alto power packs c1-c4, transgo kit with their converter valve and shim in the regulator. Have about 60k miles on it, I also used an overhaul kit to replace wear items/ all the pistons/ lip seals. It hasn't given me any problems, about 530hp but I'm not abusive on it.

Then you're running 8 C2 clutches which is a mistake. Now you know why you have a harsh 3/4 shift. 7 clutches in C2 is max unless you make other provisions.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Mike, Evan and Andrew...

Back when my trans was done (2008), I wondered if using single-sided or double-sided clutches depended more on what your were using the transmission for (drag racing or sled pulling) than anything else. Do you have any opinions about that? I've always been curious if it mattered.

Red Eagles/Kolene Steels, Stock 2001 TCM tune.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Then you're running 8 C2 clutches which is a mistake. Now you know why you have a harsh 3/4 shift. 7 clutches in C2 is max unless you make other provisions.

Hindsight is always 20/20 right :eek:

Thanks for the info. I assume you're hinting it would be a good idea to switch to the c2 gpz clutches without running a wave plate? And the c3 also being that they're an overworked clutch?

Forgive my ignorance when it comes to all these different clutches :confused:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike, Evan and Andrew...

Back when my trans was done (2008), I wondered if using single-sided or double-sided clutches depended more on what your were using the transmission for (drag racing or sled pulling) than anything else. Do you have any opinions about that? I've always been curious if it mattered.

Red Eagles/Kolene Steels, Stock 2001 TCM tune.

Single sided clutches cannot dissipate heat very well on a live clutch pack. Live clutch pack is a clutch that come on and off a lot during operation. For example; C3 clutch pack. It comes on in 3rd gear and heats up while coming on and heats up during release. Soon after it comes back on in 5th and heats up even more. Single sided live clutch packs don't live very long.
Now the C1 clutch is a static clutch pack. It comes on in forward and stays on till 5th. All the C1 needs a more mainline pressure and a few tricks to make it hold a lot of power. Single sided is fine for the C1.

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
Single sided clutches cannot dissipate heat very well on a live clutch pack. Live clutch pack is a clutch that come on and off a lot during operation. For example; C3 clutch pack. It comes on in 3rd gear and heats up while coming on and heats up during release. Soon after it comes back on in 5th and heats up even more. Single sided live clutch packs don't live very long.
Now the C1 clutch is a static clutch pack. It comes on in forward and stays on till 5th. All the C1 needs a more mainline pressure and a few tricks to make it hold a lot of power. Single sided is fine for the C1.

Excellent answer;) I always like it when you share some of your vast knowledge:thumb:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

You just verified everything I thought back then. Thanks Mike. :hug:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
WTF are you smoking? The SC kit is great. Your choice in converters suck.

I ran a 1600-1800 stall in my red dually it broke and had to put a 2000 stall in that sucked ass..truck was laggy and lethargic comine of the line.. 1st gear final drive is danr near the same between my lmm.Alison with 3.73 and lbz/4L85 with 4.63, 11.56/11.48 respectively

The OEM will stall about 2500-2800 just tring to nicely move 25k up a hill.. Going to be even worse when I bump to 36k gross..

The 1056 is way too loose for what I do. Way too mcuh slip

The OEM Alison has a 1000+rpm drop on lockup and you barely see rpm drop on a 1-2 shift. It won't lock till almost 30mph in TH with a full load going up hill
The 1600-1800 500rpm drop on lock up and 750rpm drop on a 1-2 unlock shift.

I'm not looking to drag race.. I have all this nice gearing that gets wasted with too much stall..

I have been there done that it worked extremely well. Phily taylor is only one thus far that say that can meet said needs.. Everyone else for the most part has stopped short of calling me an idiot

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
i ran a 1600-1800 stall in my red dually it broke and had to put a 2000 stall in that sucked ass..truck was laggy and lethargic comine of the line.. 1st gear final drive is danr near the same between my lmm.alison with 3.73 and lbz/4l85 with 4.63, 11.56/11.48 respectively

the oem will stall about 2500-2800 just tring to nicely move 25k up a hill.. Going to be even worse when i bump to 36k gross..

The 1056 is way too loose for what i do. Way too mcuh slip

the oem alison has a 1000+rpm drop on lockup and you barely see rpm drop on a 1-2 shift. It won't lock till almost 30mph in th with a full load going up hill
the 1600-1800 500rpm drop on lock up and 750rpm drop on a 1-2 unlock shift.

I'm not looking to drag race.. I have all this nice gearing that gets wasted with too much stall..

I have been there done that it worked extremely well. Phily taylor is only one thus far that say that can meet said needs.. Everyone else for the most part has stopped short of calling me an idiot

1057....?

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Do you want a cookie for that?
Yes, chocolate chip if you have one. Lol. No I just thought it was odd that its held up perfect for him and another friend with over 700 at the wheels and if they are junk why is it the main converter TRE and Firepunk sell? Unless they dont have the dmax thing figured out.

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
Yes, chocolate chip if you have one. Lol. No I just thought it was odd that its held up perfect for him and another friend with over 700 at the wheels and if they are junk why is it the main converter TRE and Firepunk sell? Unless they dont have the dmax thing figured out.

because they are cheap and the profit margin is high. Thats why. Wanna compare quality? It's easy to control cost when you don't do anything but assemble a converter kit and paint it. Not so easy when you are actually taking the time to design a quality stator, tig weld and furnace braze the impeller, re-inforce turbine splines... etc.. but we won't mention that right?

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
because they are cheap and the profit margin is high. Thats why. Wanna compare quality?
If its poor how can they offer a lifetime warranty on the converter and 2 year unlimited mileage on the trans at 1000+ horsepower?
8937565fb4337afb3c57e70ae1439d2c.jpg

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Well at this point I am thinking Suncoast G max-6R-3, Goerend/Mike L K, and Mikes Snake Oiler.
Hey Andrew can I have a cookie for starting this thread :roflmao:

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Hindsight is always 20/20 right :eek:

Thanks for the info. I assume you're hinting it would be a good idea to switch to the c2 gpz clutches without running a wave plate? And the c3 also being that they're an overworked clutch?

Forgive my ignorance when it comes to all these different clutches :confused:

7 GPZ c2 and Suncoasts GPZ in at least c3 would be a good idea. If your already in it I would do c4 also so you don't have to worry about it.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
wow. i would like to know exactly who you spoke with. please PM me

If I could remember I would but can't :( it was over 6 months ago

There is nothing on Suncoast describing stall for the 1057 3d which came out after I got a 1056 installed in my old lb7.. Just a modified OEM stator.. Which to me says it is not going to be low enough for what I need