Red Alto or Rybestos

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
So how do you make a good educated choice? I am sure that they both have their good and bad points.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Hell I was under the impression that some of the Raybestos clutches weren't what they were cracked up to be. Maybe they make multiple styles? I haven't kept up with that kinda stuff lately. Are you talking about the GPZ clutches?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
So how do you make a good educated choice? I am sure that they both have their good and bad points.

It's an easy choice between the two you go with the raybestos GPZ clutches. Alto reds aren't even on the same page. Alto's carbonite c1's work great and the double sided carbonite c3/c4 work great too. Suncoasts non slotted GPZ's for c3/c4 are the way to go. The slotted version is no better than the reds in my opinion. There are some new options coming also.

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
My red eagle alto have lasted thru tons of abuse. From the beginning of 2011 till 3 weeks ago still no failure. Hundreds of passes over 750+ since then, towing the TT and DD. And maybe 10 passes in the low 11's. I'm a FIRM believer in your Trans will last depending on who builds your Trans. When Bodine went thru mine all he noticed was normal ware and said the clutches would have lasted much longer.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
My red eagle alto have lasted thru tons of abuse. From the beginning of 2011 till 3 weeks ago still no failure. Hundreds of passes over 750+ since then, towing the TT and DD. And maybe 10 passes in the low 11's. I'm a FIRM believer in your Trans will last depending on who builds your Trans. When Bodine went thru mine all he noticed was normal ware and said the clutches would have lasted much longer.

An Allison will not last at big power levels with alto reds no matter who built it. They served their purpose and have worked in many builds but we needed something better and that's what we have now. I'm not saying low 11's aren't fast but what happens to these transmissions in the 11's and what happens in the mid to low 10's and even 9's is not even comparable.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
One of the reasons I ask this question is the info I have found seems to lay mostly on the side of pure opinion. Like anything else I am sure what works best in one situation may not be so for another. Otherwise what runs great turning out 9 second isn't going to do well pulling 25,000 lbs day in and day out.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
One of the reasons I ask this question is the info I have found seems to lay mostly on the side of pure opinion. Like anything else I am sure what works best in one situation may not be so for another. Otherwise what runs great turning out 9 second isn't going to do well pulling 25,000 lbs day in and day out.

That may be true for certain pressure mods, but as far as clutches go I'd say no. You want the best clutches available, I'd get gpz's for any application.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA

You are wrong the same clutches work just fine in both applications it's how the transmission is setup that makes the difference depending on application. If your not making big power either will work but you asked which is better so I answered your question. Anyone who builds these transmissions and says it's a matter of opinion which is better is clueless.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
You are wrong the same clutches work just fine in both applications it's how the transmission is setup that makes the difference depending on application. If your not making big power either will work but you asked which is better so I answered your question. Anyone who builds these transmissions and says it's a matter of opinion which is better is clueless.

Or they're trying to justify their choice. Either way they're wrong.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
gpz's

I am just now going thru the LMM trans with Suncoast 6.3 GPZ clutchs. I also bought a set of alto reds for c5 clutch pack for piece of mind. I am concerned a bit about the raybestos c1's shrinking? I have heard about this and supposedly there are upgraded c1's to keep this from happening. I know George was running .390 plate to keep them clearanced.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I am just now going thru the LMM trans with Suncoast 6.3 GPZ clutchs. I also bought a set of alto reds for c5 clutch pack for piece of mind. I am concerned a bit about the raybestos c1's shrinking? I have heard about this and supposedly there are upgraded c1's to keep this from happening. I know George was running .390 plate to keep them clearanced.

The revised set I was sent to test didn't shrink when I tore my trans back down recently. You should be good to go.

Last edited: