raw fuel and tar like in exhaust?

JackPine47

Apr 3, 2013
central mn
ive searched around and cant find anything on this so here it goes... I got a 04 lb7 with twins, 40% exergys, threaded injector cups, heavier valve springs, studs all around, lml shortblock, fass 150... ect.. ect... well I had all that done last October after I broke my crank everything seemed fine but as it got colder out it smells more and more like raw fuel until the truck warms up then it goes away or if sits overnight in the garage that's 40 degrees I fire it up and it looks like a nuke went off theres so much white smoke but if its plugged in in the garage it doesn't smoke at all on starts an no smell and when its below zero (which is all winter here in mn) when I let off the throttle going through town when its warm it seems like it loads up and white smokes bad and at stop signs when its cold I cant stand the smell in the cab its so unbearable.. the inside of the stack looks just like a hurculiner texture but feels like tar but its always dry to the touch and if I get on it to pass a car it must get warm and chunks roll over the top and down the side of it... injectors are fine had them tested... I had a local guy tune it around here could that be the reason for all this annoying smell?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Poor tuning or the injectors are junk.
What gets me is you go to all that trouble and expense to build the engine, and leave the most important part, the tuning, to an unknown "local guy"?!? Ho-lee shit.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Has the stack always been like that or did that happen out of the blue? Is the stack new? Is the stack powdercoated? Looks to me like the powder coating is melting and bubbling up/burning, I guess that would only be the case if the stack was powdercoated on the inside as well. Since its "dry to the touch", that's my only conclusion.

JackPine47

Apr 3, 2013
central mn
Poor tuning or the injectors are junk.
What gets me is you go to all that trouble and expense to build the engine, and leave the most important part, the tuning, to an unknown "local guy"?!? Ho-lee shit.

Well I owned a ats tuner before the build and during the build the guy who did it said he could tune it and I've never heard anything bad about his tuning so opted to temporary run his tunes till this summer when I had more cash flow since it was hunting season an going into winter I didn't want to cancel any trips...

JackPine47

Apr 3, 2013
central mn
Has the stack always been like that or did that happen out of the blue? Is the stack new? Is the stack powdercoated? Looks to me like the powder coating is melting and bubbling up/burning, I guess that would only be the case if the stack was powdercoated on the inside as well. Since its "dry to the touch", that's my only conclusion.

As it got colder an it started to smell is when it started happening... No the stack is like 3 years old... It's not powder coated just painted.. I took the exhaust appart in the middle an it is just sooty like normal not like the stack is...

JackPine47

Apr 3, 2013
central mn
Do you have it on elevated or high idle !?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only time I have it on is if I run into a store or something to stay warm in the cab otherwise I don't usually use it but I always let it run for about 20 minutes after it has sat outside before I go anywhere

FryGuyLML

Aug 17, 2013
Labrador City, NL Canada
Only time I have it on is if I run into a store or something to stay warm in the cab otherwise I don't usually use it but I always let it run for about 20 minutes after it has sat outside before I go anywhere

Well I'm a heavy duty mechanic and well I haven't had this problem with my lml but at work we have dozers like our D11T and if you leave that thing idling at say 500 rpms it will slobber just like what is happening to your truck ! Once you idle her up to 1500rpms she runs clear as day ! This is in the winter months ! With around -40 to -50 degree Celsius temps ! Maybe same problem !? I run my lml at high idle every morning when I start it ! In the same temps !

JackPine47

Apr 3, 2013
central mn
Well I'm a heavy duty mechanic and well I haven't had this problem with my lml but at work we have dozers like our D11T and if you leave that thing idling at say 500 rpms it will slobber just like what is happening to your truck ! Once you idle her up to 1500rpms she runs clear as day ! This is in the winter months ! With around -40 to -50 degree Celsius temps ! Maybe same problem !? I run my lml at high idle every morning when I start it ! In the same temps !

It's very possible! It crossed my mind about that but I wasn't sure and I don't want it to be something worse!! It just doesn't really cross my mind to turn the high idle on cuz it's a lb7 an I gotta flip the switch an tap the cruise it's kinda the last thing on my mind as I dive out lol

FryGuyLML

Aug 17, 2013
Labrador City, NL Canada
It's very possible! It crossed my mind about that but I wasn't sure and I don't want it to be something worse!! It just doesn't really cross my mind to turn the high idle on cuz it's a lb7 an I gotta flip the switch an tap the cruise it's kinda the last thing on my mind as I dive out lol

Could be a turbo leaking oil too ! Seals do shrink and expand in the hot and cold too !

FryGuyLML

Aug 17, 2013
Labrador City, NL Canada
But leaking oil wouldn't cause a fuel smell tho...

Didn't mean to send that last post haha ya your right ! Totally forgot about the fuel smell but I mean mine stinks too in the cold ! So much that when I park at the store people complain but best thing for you to do is idle it up ! I know some of the old 7.3 power strokes used to wet stack it was called if they weren't put on high idle ! Some even slobbered up valves and bent push rods ! So if you don't idle it up something worse can happen !

JackPine47

Apr 3, 2013
central mn
Didn't mean to send that last post haha ya your right ! Totally forgot about the fuel smell but I mean mine stinks too in the cold ! So much that when I park at the store people complain but best thing for you to do is idle it up ! I know some of the old 7.3 power strokes used to wet stack it was called if they weren't put on high idle ! Some even slobbered up valves and bent push rods ! So if you don't idle it up something worse can happen !

Ya I don't need that at all!!! Might have to start using it more lol ya I used to work around all that crap to building bridges been a few years since them days now... It's kinda like smoking I used to smoke wide open now I quit an if I even smell it I get a sick feeling