LBZ: Programming Injector Flow Rate?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I'd like to revisit this GM document that Henry posted a long time ago:

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41178&highlight=injector+reprogram

Reason being, a thread came up over at DP concerning an injector replacement on an LBZ and the associated code 0087, and another member referenced "reprogramming the ECM for the new injectors". I thought it was BS, and said so.....then I found Henry's doc.
So I ask:

Is this something that nobody talks about?
Is this something that is just a forgotten step when people are installing aftermarket injectors?
Does it even matter?
Am I wrong and need to apologize to someone?

Can any of you tuners/techs clue me in, because I have NEVER heard of anyone ever having to do this in the 10 years Ive been around Dmaxes.

Last edited:

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
The only time that I've had to do it was when I put a brand new ECM into a truck.

Sent from my big ass Note2 via tapatalk

X2, I've had to do it once with an ECM swap GPCM-->ECM do to the truck idling really loud/rattling.

I tried programming the numbers for my LMM injectors in my LBZ with a Tech 2 and got an error code on the tech 2.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So its not something that really has to be done on a "normal" injector swap?

If you are putting stock Bosch injectors in a truck, they should be programmed if you want the balance rates to be correct, but if you are using modified or non-factory remanned injectors, there is no need to go through the programming. It is only used for calculating the balance rates. If you are using modified injectors that have been balanced, you could probably go in and make the codes all the same, but I doubt it would really make much of a difference.

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
The Bosch remans I put in my truck had the flow rates echted in the side of the injector body. But you will also get the sticker like Joe said.

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
So I won't be able to get with the injectors in the engine? I'm getting p160c code. I swapped ecms a few months back after frying mine and now I'm gettin this code

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
If all you replaced was your ecm, the flow rates are also stored in the gpcm also. So with a good scan tool you can copy the flow rates from the gpcm to the ecm.

Sent from my GT-I9300

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
That's the problem I have a snap on solis but I messed up and copied them from the ECM to the gpcm and now both are wrong

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If you are putting stock Bosch injectors in a truck, they should be programmed if you want the balance rates to be correct, but if you are using modified or non-factory remanned injectors, there is no need to go through the programming. It is only used for calculating the balance rates. If you are using modified injectors that have been balanced, you could probably go in and make the codes all the same, but I doubt it would really make much of a difference.
Thanks Josh.

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
Is there anyone I could send my old ECM to and them possibly pull the numbers out of it?

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
It's locked up that's why I had to put a new one in. I tried doing that this afternoon and my solis won't connect to it.

Swisstyphoon

Jan 2, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale FL/Switzerland
It's locked up that's why I had to put a new one in. I tried doing that this afternoon and my solis won't connect to it.

You should be able to read the codes from the injectors without pulling them.
The numbers are engraved on top of the injector (plastic part).
Just write down all 8 codes and programm them manualy with a tech2.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
So the only reason to program the injectors after a swap is to maintain accurate info for fuel economy and gallons used? Am I understanding that right? I may be swapping out to %60 overs and am wanting to clarify what needs to take place for a smooth swap.