LML PPEI EFILive?

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
Racing I have not experienced the dreaded de-fuel on the 2-3 shift, other than how it feels seat of the pants going down crisp and firm shifts through the gears. I've seen a 20* increase in temps DD with it on, which talking to Mike, states that would be the case due to the increase in pressure.
There is no tuning on the TCM, DD'ng I am back and forth with flipping the switch, it seems with it on I have better accell with it, Off It goes up the gears faster, not sure why that is.
Can't comment on the towing aspect, common sense would dictate leaving it on allowing less of a chance to slip while shifting. Normally I just throw it in TH and go.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The LML TCM hasn't been cracked, but you can use the A40 TCM from the LMM in an lml. We have several stock transmission Lml's running for some time now in the 550-600hp range. Over 600 hp and they are not very positive feeling. And there is a pump kit available that uses an external control box- so you can bolt on and go.

I would not recommend the new pump kit with the black box. They were not designed to work together and can crack the valve body in cold weather.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
This^^^
What capabilities do you gain from the A40? Sounds like basically the key to open trans tuning options?

I've read a few threads on Mike's products and upgrades, but the threads all invariably end with either "I've solved this problem but I'm not telling about it..." Or "just give me a call..." Which is not really a solution or helpful from where I am. It's just frustrating to hear "just search" like that solves everything when every other thread on LML tranny options seems to need a phone call to Mike L. I understand he's the guru and won't give everything away for free but it'd be nice to see some capabilities/options spelled out on here. Wish I could call

I've seen the videos of kory running pretty quick with Ben's pressure box, but the shift quality with the stock TCM at ~650hp looks like crap, not to mention the random total de-fuel on shifting to 2nd gear in one vid. I'm not looking for 650hp, but I'm also not looking for a "good enough" solution when a customized solution to match quality engine tuning might be available.

Not saying the pressure box doesn't work, I've just never seen any reviews of it by owners so I have to go off of all I can find... Which is Kory torture testing it with marginal success lol

Haha it did well for its time... that trans was DEAD for quite some time and i just kept pushing it... Clutches looked like burnt toast when Brad tore it down. The pressure box i deff felt like it was keeping alive!

One day i got excited and for the heck of it threw a A40 on my LML and then tried to flash it.... annnnd it actually worked! I feel it has better shift quality with it, a little quicker, even in stock form. I know now that its built i can fuel 4600rpms with no defuel and it EATS!

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Haha it did well for its time... that trans was DEAD for quite some time and i just kept pushing it... Clutches looked like burnt toast when Brad tore it down. The pressure box i deff felt like it was keeping alive!

One day i got excited and for the heck of it threw a A40 on my LML and then tried to flash it.... annnnd it actually worked! I feel it has better shift quality with it, a little quicker, even in stock form. I know now that its built i can fuel 4600rpms with no defuel and it EATS!

Oh man according to my map reading skills ~3600-4000 through a stock top end with that 467 should be :nana3:

So are you running the A40 on the built tranny I'm guessing? Once you throw in the option of an A40 and trans tuning, EFI starts to look like the better option IMO.

Sorry this thread is becoming a total mess for anyone reading, I guess I didn't realize it would devolve into my LML wet dreams. Thought I'd get a clean decision on what tunes to run but It's only caused more questions and opened my eyes to more options and choices.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Oh man according to my map reading skills ~3600-4000 through a stock top end with that 467 should be :nana3:

So are you running the A40 on the built tranny I'm guessing? Once you throw in the option of an A40 and trans tuning, EFI starts to look like the better option IMO.

Sorry this thread is becoming a total mess for anyone reading, I guess I didn't realize it would devolve into my LML wet dreams. Thought I'd get a clean decision on what tunes to run but It's only caused more questions and opened my eyes to more options and choices.

Yeah either way you go your good.... Try and tell a sled puller all they need is 3600rpms... Lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA

Actually I am glad you brought that question up on the A40, I actually have one here, I was just to bashful to ask the question on it :D Guess another Tuning option will be sitting in the arsenal now :rolleyes:

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
I would not recommend the new pump kit with the black box. They were not designed to work together and can crack the valve body in cold weather.

my bad mike, I was referring to a CP3 pump kit. I should have started a new quote on that, he was asking about twin cp3 pumps and I was stating there are pump kits available with a control box vs using ecm tuning.
but cracking a VB that would suck! :mad:

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Yeah either way you go your good.... Try and tell a sled puller all they need is 3600rpms... Lol!

Efi is a GREAT option and we offer both efi and mcc. So whatever your flavor.... We have been tuning these through efi nearly a year now so it's nothing new :)

Haha yeah I watched my buddy blow up his BUILT 5R110 with a near stock 6.4 because we couldn't convince him to come off the line any softer... I know I'd be addicted to pulling if I tried it, but somebody has to tow him home!

So Kory, this might be the final question... You're saying I can grab myself an A40 (any particular A40? Seems they were the same for at least 06-08) and some exhaust goodies and give you and maybe Mike L a call and get myself a fully custom tuned power train for not too much coin? There aren't exactly package deal fees spelled out for this and I'm hoping it's not $$$$ for each tune because I'd probably want something like the standard 5 pack for different situations

As far as I can tell the A50 doesn't even add any capabilities... Is everybody doing the A40 swap with Some of Mikes goodies and I'm just the last to know?

Lb7_Katie

Lb7 Duramax
Sep 8, 2013
I run ppei tunes and love them! Kory does an awesome
Job and you won't be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
Haha yeah I watched my buddy blow up his BUILT 5R110 with a near stock 6.4 because we couldn't convince him to come off the line any softer... I know I'd be addicted to pulling if I tried it, but somebody has to tow him home!

So Kory, this might be the final question... You're saying I can grab myself an A40 (any particular A40? Seems they were the same for at least 06-08) and some exhaust goodies and give you and maybe Mike L a call and get myself a fully custom tuned power train for not too much coin? There aren't exactly package deal fees spelled out for this and I'm hoping it's not $$$$ for each tune because I'd probably want something like the standard 5 pack for different situations

As far as I can tell the A50 doesn't even add any capabilities... Is everybody doing the A40 swap with Some of Mikes goodies and I'm just the last to know?
LMM A40 I hink Mike stated that as well above, this is the route I'm Going, Mike L Trans Package, A40 Have Kory's tunes now, I cant wait to see how they work on a Built trans, Bring on the Powa...

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Greetings outside vendors:

If you are not a vendor here, your customers can respond to their personal experience.

However, you cannot throw a sales pitch in yourself.

And please do not create a troll acct to bypass this. It's not ethical.

Thanks,

Pat, Kat, and Rob.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la

If you are not a vendor here, your customers can respond to their personal experience.

Thanks,

Pat, Kat, and Rob.

To avoid this... I have sent some PMs and messages to a few of you guys with no response. I have no intentions of making sales for myself, however, I would like to direct the sales to the dealers we have on this site.

I would really like to pay so I can speak freely. SOMEONE TAKE MY MONEY! Lol

Fwiw- I have never created a troll account in my life and have no intentions to. If that is too much to ask I completely understand and will keep further info/advances etc to myself.

Thanks Pat and crew,
Kory

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Ok from what I'm seeing browsing there shouldn't be any difference in A40 TCMs from 06-08 or 09 other than tuning... Might be pulling the trigger on this pretty soon. Sorry to get you grounded Kory.

BTW Kory... are you really still running a stock block LML in that Denali? I have to say I'm really impressed its still in one piece if it is. Do you know how much power you're getting to the wheels these days, and if it's not stock how far did you push your luck before biting the bullet and building?

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Ok from what I'm seeing browsing there shouldn't be any difference in A40 TCMs from 06-08 or 09 other than tuning... Might be pulling the trigger on this pretty soon. Sorry to get you grounded Kory.

BTW Kory... are you really still running a stock block LML in that Denali? I have to say I'm really impressed its still in one piece if it is. Do you know how much power you're getting to the wheels these days, and if it's not stock how far did you push your luck before biting the bullet and building?

Yeah I know quite all of that... Been at it for quite some time on these LMLs with guys running around with every mod you can think of.

When the mods get back with me (if they allow me to be a vendor)- I will elaborate about things we can do, our experience with certain combos, and how we stumbled upon a40 working... And also what's to come with a50.

I will wait until these guys get back with me and I will divulge further.

Thanks guys!
Kory

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la

Thanks,

Pat, Kat, and Rob.

PM sent in regards to vendor info.

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
What do I do if you're not cordially invited to vend here!?

I have so many questions and I need direction in my life... I have to wipe the track with some "Cummings" buddies when I get back home. Surely Pat wouldn't deny me?

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
What do I do if you're not cordially invited to vend here!?

I have so many questions and I need direction in my life... I have to wipe the track with some "Cummings" buddies when I get back home. Surely Pat wouldn't deny me?

Haha I shot Pat, Kat, and Josh a PM regarding being a vendor just now... They will let me in, even if I have to bribe them with king cake!!! Lol