LML PPEI EFILive?

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Anybody got any reviews positive or negative? Looking to keep my LML relatively stock so EFILive seems like the cheaper option for tuning assuming there's no benefit to MCC for stock turbo/stock injector setups...

I'd be interested to hear if there are any issues or downsides to the EFILive route, and I'd be really interested if anyone has experience with both. Even if its only Kory who can chip in with reviews of both, I haven't seen a thread with limitations and capabilities of each system laid out yet.

Looking to upgrade and shed a little weight from under my truck very soon;)

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Anybody got any reviews positive or negative? Looking to keep my LML relatively stock so EFILive seems like the cheaper option for tuning assuming there's no benefit to MCC for stock turbo/stock injector setups...

I'd be interested to hear if there are any issues or downsides to the EFILive route, and I'd be really interested if anyone has experience with both. Even if its only Kory who can chip in with reviews of both, I haven't seen a thread with limitations and capabilities of each system laid out yet.

Looking to upgrade and shed a little weight from under my truck very soon;)

I'm running Kory's tunes on my LB7 and I'm very happy with it. :thumb:
With that said if I had an LML I'd have him do mine.

Tony and Rob also do tuning from what I've read on the forum here.

Yellowchevy

Duramax5

duramax freak
Sep 15, 2011
West Texas
I run his tunes in my lbz and i love them, I've also tuned quite a few trucks with his tunes and also done a few lmls with his autocal and i haven't had a single complaint from any of the customers.:thumb:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I'm running Kory's tunes on my LB7 and I'm very happy with it. :thumb:
With that said if I had an LML I'd have him do mine.

Tony and Rob also do tuning from what I've read on the forum here.

Yellowchevy

MCC is IMHO way more expensive to buy and a lot slower for programming.

EFI can Cal flash in about 90 seconds and Full Flash in about 3 minutes.

I am almost done with my emissions compliant testing on my 2012 Denali and have a local truck we are using for deleted testing as well............;)

I am also testing a truck at high altitude as many tuners struggle at high altitude to get them to run the same up in the clouds as they do at sea level.

Do you research and weigh the pros and cons of each, there are plenty of options for you.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

I am almost done with my emissions compliant testing on my 2012 Denali and have a local truck we are using for deleted testing as well............;)

I am also testing a truck at high altitude as many tuners struggle at high altitude to get them to run the same up in the clouds as they do at sea level.

Do you research and weigh the pros and cons of each, there are plenty of options for you.

When will you have tunes available?

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
When will you have tunes available?

When I am 100% happy with all of the tunes I plan on offering.

I am very methodical and very careful to test all of my tunes thoroughly on my own personal test truck first, then on a few local test trucks and then thru my dealers personal trucks first.

I want make sure each tune is tested on the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 models as there are differences in the OS code.

After all that and when I get all my feedback from my test trucks and dealers and make any changes requested I will retest again to be 100% sure its all good.

I know that not everybody wants the same stock to max power tunes, I do a lot of custom requests, always have , so it will be soon, but how soon, honestly I don't have a date set in stone.

My high altitude dealer just bought a 2013............so I can be sure my tunes will run well in places like New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, etc.

:thumb:

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
When I am 100% happy with all of the tunes I plan on offering.

I am very methodical and very careful to test all of my tunes thoroughly on my own personal test truck first, then on a few local test trucks and then thru my dealers personal trucks first...

My high altitude dealer just bought a 2013............so I can be sure my tunes will run well in places like New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, etc.

:thumb:

Tony I really love everything I hear about your tuning, and once a while back I googled for anything negative about ridgrunner for over an hour and found nothing...

I'm currently enjoying the views in scenic Afghanistan for a while with the truck at my dad's house, so I'm not in a huge rush to order. I just want to keep this truck forever and then rebuild it and go another forever, so I want to be sure to strip off any lifespan-shortening equipment while the tunes are available in case of another crackdown in the future.;)

If you really think your tunes will be out by say this summer, I may wait and see what you produce. I'm a bigtime snowboarder with a 9k lb camper and I bought the truck based on it being the total performance package from sea level to 12,000ft. I plan on taking alot of family trips through the rockies and the appalachians in the next few years and I'd hate to sacrifice any performance in any environment just to remove the garbage systems on it now.

Last edited:

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Or how about you release your tuning in late May and have an autocal or ECM with my name on it for my birthday?:roflmao:

*edit... I'd pay of course if I do order from you.

Last edited:

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
I have Kory's tunes also on my LLY. They run awesome. I don't have anything to compare to other than the Predator box programmer. I can tell it shifts better and the power is really good. Can't wait to build my trans to hold the power now.

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
I appreciate all the feedback so far. I have a buddy here who apparently has a Kory tuned LBZ back home that I've never ridden in for some reason, so I may end up holding off until a test drive before making a decision on which tuner to purchase from...

To get back on topic of the thread though:

Just to be clear Tony when you were mentioning High altitude performance, were you saying you have a high altitude specific set of tunes or that you test your generic 5 tune pack across all of North America?

Also Tony thanks for pointing out the faster Cal flash speed with EFI, I hadn't seen that really spelled out anyplace yet and I think it's a big plus since I don't want to tow with a hotter mileage tune and we don't get any change on the fly options :(

So far I'm tracking MCC and EFI both have upsides:

MCC: capable of running dual high pressure pumps with ECM controlled transient response (if you need big fuel and don't mind the H&S motorsport price tag)

EFI: Definitely less $$$, quicker cal file flashing to switch tunes, and more tuner options will be available shortly so people could have their tuner of choice or a more local tuner do their truck.

Has either side successfully recalibrated the TCM tuning at all yet? line pressures, shift points, ETC... so far everything LML tranny related seems to be kept top secret in the hands of a few select people, but the stocker is good to right around 500 whp?

This is an important point since MaxAttitude just stated that the better shifting is a key improvement about your Kory tunes:thumb:

Last edited:

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
I'm running Korys tunes on my LML. Danville isn't tuning LMLs so I asked Tony and his weren't ready yet and I had some emission codes so I couldn't wait so I went with Kory. That being said my truck runs like a champ now. It's completely stock other then with emission delete. Was very simple to load with efi live and ppei was very good to deal with.

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
I appreciate all the feedback so far. I have a buddy here who apparently has a Kory tuned LBZ back home that I've never ridden in for some reason, so I may end up holding off until a test drive before making a decision on which tuner to purchase from...

To get back on topic of the thread though:

Just to be clear Tony when you were mentioning High altitude performance, were you saying you have a high altitude specific set of tunes or that you test your generic 5 tune pack across all of North America?

Also Tony thanks for pointing out the faster Cal flash speed with EFI, I hadn't seen that really spelled out anyplace yet and I think it's a big plus since I don't want to tow with a hotter mileage tune and we don't get any change on the fly options :(

So far I'm tracking MCC and EFI both have upsides:

MCC: capable of running dual high pressure pumps with ECM controlled transient response (if you need big fuel and don't mind the H&S motorsport price tag)

EFI: Definitely less $$$, quicker cal file flashing to switch tunes, and more tuner options will be available shortly so people could have their tuner of choice or a more local tuner do their truck.

Has either side successfully recalibrated the TCM tuning at all yet? line pressures, shift points, ETC... so far everything LML tranny related seems to be kept top secret in the hands of a few select people, but the stocker is good to right around 500 whp?

This is an important point since MaxAttitude just stated that the better shifting is a key improvement about your Kory tunes:thumb:

The LML TCM hasn't been cracked, but you can use the A40 TCM from the LMM in an lml. We have several stock transmission Lml's running for some time now in the 550-600hp range. Over 600 hp and they are not very positive feeling. And there is a pump kit available that uses an external control box- so you can bolt on and go.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now

My bad on that one Tony, I forgot about the MCC that Kory uses.

That just goes to show how much I know about the LML tuning. I just stick with my LB7 :thumb::roflmao:

Like stated just do your research and pick who you feel comfortable with.

Yellowchevy

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
I can Vouch for MCC on my LML so far just a stock CP4 Stock Trans and Stock charger for Now. The tuning for DD and Track on my particular set up has been wonderful for the last year, I will probably grab a Autocal and some more of Kory's tuning and compare characteristics between the two.
As far as elevation I've been at 90 to 1000' ASL And seen a 2/10th difference in ET, and 3 mph, it could be just the way I set up. The downside of MCC no way to log, EFI you can. As far as what Kory Stated above, I can vouch for that, he was the only one at the time offering tuning, and has been good to me with asking a lot of question and was able to get this set up pretty damn well on stock components.
Mileage wise I do pretty well when I am not on the skinny, Can average 14 in town and keep 19 on the hwy, not one of those guys that bought a truck to get 30mpg, would of kept my Corolla for that :D Stiil good numbers for a DD and 8K pounds.
Have a Few more Big ticket parts sitting here that have to go on, I have no reason to believe that Kory can't get these to bring it on with either platform, so I will just let him do his magic. Nothing against the other guys doing this now, I hear nothing but good things, and very good at that :thumb:

Last edited:

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
The LML TCM hasn't been cracked, but you can use the A40 TCM from the LMM in an lml. We have several stock transmission Lml's running for some time now in the 550-600hp range. Over 600 hp and they are not very positive feeling. And there is a pump kit available that uses an external control box- so you can bolt on and go.

This^^^
What capabilities do you gain from the A40? Sounds like basically the key to open trans tuning options?

I've read a few threads on Mike's products and upgrades, but the threads all invariably end with either "I've solved this problem but I'm not telling about it..." Or "just give me a call..." Which is not really a solution or helpful from where I am. It's just frustrating to hear "just search" like that solves everything when every other thread on LML tranny options seems to need a phone call to Mike L. I understand he's the guru and won't give everything away for free but it'd be nice to see some capabilities/options spelled out on here. Wish I could call

I've seen the videos of kory running pretty quick with Ben's pressure box, but the shift quality with the stock TCM at ~650hp looks like crap, not to mention the random total de-fuel on shifting to 2nd gear in one vid. I'm not looking for 650hp, but I'm also not looking for a "good enough" solution when a customized solution to match quality engine tuning might be available.

Not saying the pressure box doesn't work, I've just never seen any reviews of it by owners so I have to go off of all I can find... Which is Kory torture testing it with marginal success lol

Last edited:

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
I use efilive AND MCC for LML...

I can do deleted or non deleted tuning... VGT or non VGT charger... We can make it happen with mcc or efi live.

I have tuned tons and tons at all elevations.

I can also remove the speed limiter without losing cruise etc. weigh out your options and then see what you want. We are already in the 12s with mcc but I have no doubt could do the same with efi.

Kory

So you're saying to date you've squeezed more proven performance out of MCC tuned LMLs? Is the 12s all stock with a tune and exhaust or are we talking your personal truck with the 467 on there? Sort of jealous of that turbo too btw.

Do you care to share any info on your trans tuning or setup?

Either way I appreciate all you've done for the platform. It was rough being the no-tuning bastard children of the Dmax family for 3 years.

Last edited:

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
So you're saying to date you've squeezed more proven performance out of MCC tuned LMLs? Is the 12s all stock with a tune and exhaust or are we talking your personal truck with the 467 on there? Sort of jealous of that turbo too btw.
12.8 @105 A50 Mikes Box, stock and a tune

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
12.8 @105 A50 Mikes Box, stock and a tune

Nice! Now we're getting somewhere...

Any comments on Mike's box? Daily driving, racing, any towing? Is this still stock tranny tuning with customized pressures?