October '23 Chat -- "Spooky Times"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Away we go. Name ideas? Was busy working on the Regal and doing drywall, so didnt even think about it til this morning.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Rounded up the batteries in vehicles I haven't moved or can't start..
4 BCI 31
2 BCI 78
2 BCI H6
Got every charged but 2 of the 31 group batteries.. those are the lowest CCA as well and where first to get replaced regardless..

Got main heavy electrical done on my 75, pulled out some of my back jobs, installed starter, found out I orders wrong flexplate need dual pattern vs large single pattern so I can bolt the TC up. So haven't decided to pull engine or trans/tcase yet

Attachments

• IMG_20231001_134718726.jpg
    IMG_20231001_134718726.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230930_184052826.jpg
    IMG_20230930_184052826.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 13

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
What kind of Frankenstein Experiments will Jason do this month...

Oh that poor truck....
Injector solenoid swap in the driveway 😁. Supposed to be taboo to swap solenoids without having the equipment to properly measure the air gap for the correct shim sizes. And the testing afterwards to verify all it good. These CRI2 injectors are more sensitive to part swaps then earlier years.

In playing around with my truck and trying to drive the injectors directly. One of the mosfets shorted out and dumped full power to the injector. Thus burning out the solenoid. I I purchased two more solenoids. Was told that you can't swap without all the equipment to properly calibrate them. We will see about that 😛

With the stock shim or shall I say the only shim I have. Swapped out the solenoid. Injector stuck on. No shim, stuck off. So I needed to find a middle ground. A redneck honing on my diamond plate and retest. Probably installed and removed the injector 10+ times before I got it running somewhat decent. Still need to adjust it a little more. May have gone too far and need to replace the shim with a thicker one. From my research, these shims are called Bosch B26 injector shims. And come in various sizes with a 0.01mm difference. Looks like kits are available for not too much. Might pick up a kit if I have to do this again. Plus I found a set of used but good injectors for $35 each. So I purchased those for backups.

Maybe I'll make a testing rig with a CP3 driven by an electric motor and a catch can to put the injectors in so the sprayed fuel can be recycled back to the CP3. Then I can run them like an engine without the engine. Run each injector for say an hour and see the fuel quantity and compare it to the other injectors

IMG_20231001_120446-01.jpeg

IMG_20231001_120426-01.jpeg

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Pretty cool idea there, but my God you have a lot of spare time on your hands, Jason.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Pretty cool idea there, but my God you have a lot of spare time on your hands, Jason.
Haha. Maybe compared to some others. But I have more time then money. Plus there is some fun in learning what it will do and how it all works. Actually most of my work is on the weekends or maybe an hour at the end of the day when I get home after work. Most days I do 10 hours at work

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Injector solenoid swap in the driveway 😁. Supposed to be taboo to swap solenoids without having the equipment to properly measure the air gap for the correct shim sizes. And the testing afterwards to verify all it good. These CRI2 injectors are more sensitive to part swaps then earlier years.

In playing around with my truck and trying to drive the injectors directly. One of the mosfets shorted out and dumped full power to the injector. Thus burning out the solenoid. I I purchased two more solenoids. Was told that you can't swap without all the equipment to properly calibrate them. We will see about that 😛

With the stock shim or shall I say the only shim I have. Swapped out the solenoid. Injector stuck on. No shim, stuck off. So I needed to find a middle ground. A redneck honing on my diamond plate and retest. Probably installed and removed the injector 10+ times before I got it running somewhat decent. Still need to adjust it a little more. May have gone too far and need to replace the shim with a thicker one. From my research, these shims are called Bosch B26 injector shims. And come in various sizes with a 0.01mm difference. Looks like kits are available for not too much. Might pick up a kit if I have to do this again. Plus I found a set of used but good injectors for $35 each. So I purchased those for backups.

Maybe I'll make a testing rig with a CP3 driven by an electric motor and a catch can to put the injectors in so the sprayed fuel can be recycled back to the CP3. Then I can run them like an engine without the engine. Run each injector for say an hour and see the fuel quantity and compare it to the other injectors

View attachment 118190

View attachment 118191
Now that can be scary... Love the dedication to learning. You will get it tuned.

Recall my first go round with LLY injectors, 11yrs ago according to video below, on the OG Dmax boat. I'd bagged all 8 up for about a year, full of B100. The Bio part only came to light when we tried to fire up a fully rebuilt engine. Not one would squirt a drop, even with 25k psi on the rail. Set to go buy a full new set on Monday, my GM tech buddy and I sat down on a Saturday and fully stripped, soaked, cleaned, and reassembled all 8 sticks top to bottom. Neither ever having seen a picture of a Bosch injector that far apart before. And one just didn't do that sort of stuff outside, on a glass top table, intoxicated.. But five hour later, we had results... 🤪

Source: https://youtu.be/Db7mxsk7xfg?si=7JJYfU48QKpKoymP

Your desire to build an injector test rig, made me go dig up that old video. Still puts a smile on my face. And while one can always just connect 8 injectors to an engine upside down, and tell if they fire, I can personally say that capturing and measuring the fuel, is a great idea for a bench rig.

Reactions: 2004LB7

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
I can smell this post.

Now that can be scary... Love the dedication to learning. You will get it tuned.

Recall my first go round with LLY injectors, 11yrs ago according to video below, on the OG Dmax boat. I'd bagged all 8 up for about a year, full of B100. The Bio part only came to light when we tried to fire up a fully rebuilt engine. Not one would squirt a drop, even with 25k psi on the rail. Set to go buy a full new set on Monday, my GM tech buddy and I sat down on a Saturday and fully stripped, soaked, cleaned, and reassembled all 8 sticks top to bottom. Neither ever having seen a picture of a Bosch injector that far apart before. And one just didn't do that sort of stuff outside, on a glass top table, intoxicated.. But five hour later, we had results... 🤪

Source: https://youtu.be/Db7mxsk7xfg?si=7JJYfU48QKpKoymP

Your desire to build an injector test rig, made me go dig up that old video. Still puts a smile on my face. And while one can always just connect 8 injectors to an engine upside down, and tell if they fire, I can personally say that capturing and measuring the fuel, is a great idea for a bench rig.

• Haha
Reactions: Dozerboy and E_N

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Went sighting on some old water ways and old driveway, on our farm
found an old washout grew.. and the 2wd couldn't handle the 4wd problem.. G80 works and dug the low side tire to the axle.

Frieghtliner could use a locker in the diff

IMG_20231011_175118359.jpg

IMG_20231011_174448729.jpgIMG_20231011_174911891.jpgIMG_20231011_174547337.jpgIMG_20231011_174521232.jpg

Reactions: kidturbo

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Been kinda slow this past week on the forum. Odd for October.....

Those pumpkins look like the dash on the Regal. :LOL:

It definitely has. I don’t post much these days but I check in and it’s been slow.

I know we are crazy busy at work, kids have 3 sports going, and doing the Halloween thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.