October '23 Chat -- "Spooky Times"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Can't remember if I ever posted about it or not, but my little girl's gotten into Taekwondo. She took gold on her first competition and just took silver on her second competition last weekend. The other girl was fighting a little dirty, but our coach said Adria was adapting and did a great job. Between driving and competition it was a 19 hour day for us and my son did amazing too. He is special needs and we have been struggling through a lot of issues the last few years. Feels like we are getting him back on track though. Yesterday he did show us he still needs to be watched closely. He dumped everything in the fridge on the floor and couch while my wife was in the shower. After hours of cleaning the house still smells like rotten milk. Hopefully the couch doesn't have to go into the trash.

Attachments

• 20231014_141001.jpg
    20231014_141001.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20231014_143902.jpg
    20231014_143902.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 25

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Changing spark plugs in the Regal and then my wife's '15 Malibu got me thinking....

why hasnt anyone ever turbocharged one of these 2.5 LCV engines? Its layout is almost exactly the same as my LTG in my Regal.

Might make an interesting project in the future?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Changing spark plugs in the Regal and then my wife's '15 Malibu got me thinking....

why hasnt anyone ever turbocharged one of these 2.5 LCV engines? Its layout is almost exactly the same as my LTG in my Regal.

Might make an interesting project in the future?
I tried to get my buddy to do it on his Malibu but his wife totaled the car before we could source all the parts... at the time his brother had a regal with the 2.0l turbo set up in it. Scarry how identical the engine platforms are...

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I tried to get my buddy to do it on his Malibu but his wife totaled the car before we could source all the parts... at the time his brother had a regal with the 2.0l turbo set up in it. Scarry how identical the engine platforms are...
It looks like ALL 2.0 parts would work. Might need to swap valve covers to get pcv hookups. Exhaust manifold has same layout and spacing. Might need larger turbo than the 2.0 one. Would use 2.0 exhaust, including cat converter.

Tuning would be an issue, but then isn't it always? There's already support for the 2.5 ECM, so it shouldn't be all that difficult.

Trans wouldn't last long. Lol

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
On my way home from the boneyard after a long search for this rare dinosaur. 2.5l Jeep, shafts sized, and left me setting roadside.

Worst part was, we pulled the timing cover thinking it was a broken chain. Only to discover chain was good. However this peace had a few missing teeth.

Maybe that's why they went extinct. Bad teeth. L o L
3dcf6ca9a4dc7d9b04fc8050e609201e.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
It looks like ALL 2.0 parts would work. Might need to swap valve covers to get pcv hookups. Exhaust manifold has same layout and spacing. Might need larger turbo than the 2.0 one. Would use 2.0 exhaust, including cat converter.

Trans wouldn't last long. Lol
Well, depends on tuning too... question is, what is the weak link inside and what can an expert do to try and remedy it...

We were going to try and see what the 2.0L turbo would do just to start with.... like anything, it's all down hill from there... obviously the 2.5 wasn't built for boost so we didn't know what to expect. Didn't want to blow something expensive up learning... we haven't had a 2.5L apart so we weren't sure how well the pistons would hold up. It could be good to go like an LS or it could be like playing with glass.

The good part is, like you mentioned. We could use mostly factory stuff to convert it. No custom one off parts or crazy fab required. Straight junk yard/garage/ drive way type build. Most everything should swap and bolt on. From there it's upgrades and refining the combo to sort out the weak links.

The upside for my buddy was that his brother is a GM Tech and does do transmission work too so for him atleast it wouldn't have been as bad if they were fragile...

Reactions: 2004LB7 and TheBac

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
On my way home from the boneyard after a long search for this rare dinosaur. 2.5l Jeep, shafts sized, and left me setting roadside.

Worst part was, we pulled the timing cover thinking it was a broken chain. Only to discover chain was good. However this peace had a few missing teeth.

Maybe that's why they went extinct. Bad teeth. L o L
3dcf6ca9a4dc7d9b04fc8050e609201e.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
With out teeth you can't eat much... surely you will go extinct. 🤣

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well, depends on tuning too... question is, what is the weak link inside and what can an expert do to try and remedy it...

We were going to try and see what the 2.0L turbo would do just to start with.... like anything, it's all down hill from there... obviously the 2.5 wasn't built for boost so we didn't know what to expect. Didn't want to blow something expensive up learning... we haven't had a 2.5L apart so we weren't sure how well the pistons would hold up. It could be good to go like an LS or it could be like playing with glass.

The good part is, like you mentioned. We could use mostly factory stuff to convert it. No custom one off parts or crazy fab required. Straight junk yard/garage/ drive way type build. Most everything should swap and bolt on. From there it's upgrades and refining the combo to sort out the weak links.

The upside for my buddy was that his brother is a GM Tech and does do transmission work too so for him atleast it wouldn't have been as bad if they were fragile...
LOL you were faster on your reply than my edit. Honestly, it would be one of those "run it till it breaks" kind of builds. May instantly, may never.

Her car is just too nice to experiment on...but if she ever decided to buy something new, you know what I'll be planning. There's lots of 2.0 LTGs in the yards just waiting to donate parts....

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
LOL you were faster on your reply than my edit. Honestly, it would be one of those "run it till it breaks" kind of builds. May instantly, may never.

Her car is just too nice to experiment on...but if she ever decided to buy something new, you know what I'll be planning. There's lots of 2.0 LTGs in the yards just waiting to donate parts....
So was my freinds wife's Malibu... until she wrecked it and the insurance totaled it...

I think she clipped the center median in an intersection. Ripped the left front suspension off, obviously trashed the sub frame, bent frame rail and core support, I recall the radiator leaking. I think they were afraid it would need a trans too with all damage it did...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

I bet you could tune it to last. Where it would suffer is prolong load while under heavy boost. That’s where additional oil cooling, squirters for pistons, larger ring gap and so on help.

I’ll bet it holds 8psi just fine

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I bet you could tune it to last. Where it would suffer is prolong load while under heavy boost. That’s where additional oil cooling, squirters for pistons, larger ring gap and so on help.

I’ll bet it holds 8psi just fine
But the real question is what will can we get out of a stock turbo before we need to upgrade???

Reactions: TheBac

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
My brother and I and my 2 boys went out deer hunting today and got ourselves a small 2 point blacktail. Gave my oldest son first crack at it and missed twice, so I told my older brother to drop it before it got away.
I'm in the red sweatshirt in the first picture. 2nd picture is my brothers girlfriends son, my 2 boys and my brother.

Alot of smiles all the way around d for us.

Attachments

• IMG_20231028_115053.jpg
    IMG_20231028_115053.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231028_105453.jpg
    20231028_105453.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.