Next mods?

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Wondering where to go next. Currently have my 2016 lml with 5” straight pipe, fass165, UDT tuned. Just serviced trans, changed both filter and put the deviant epc fooler in. Still running stock intake, stock downpipe and everything else.

I have a few options in mind but don’t know what the best route is. Option 1 is hsp intake and a downpipe. Option 2 is sportsman cp3 conversion, or option 3 is full sdp y bridge, intercooler pipes and downpipe.

I’ve read robs lml thread and seen he picked up around 40-50hp with the intake and downpipe. That route is pretty cheap as well. Option 3, will this gain me any more power over the intake and downpipe? I like the idea of full y bridge for later on down the road, I can always drop a 369 in later. It also makes swapping a cp3 in easier down the road too.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Dont wanna be against the built tranny, but I vote for ditching the cp4 before it grenades and your buying a whole new fuel system with your tranny build money.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Dont wanna be against the built tranny, but I vote for ditching the cp3 before it grenades and your buying a whole new fuel system with your tranny build money.

CP4 ;

I agree. CP3 swap then a trans.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Will a sportsman cp3 be enough? How far can a sportsman get me on the lml? I was fighting rail pressure on my lmm with stock sticks, finally went 10mm on the lmm.

LML6600DMAX

Dec 9, 2015
Will a sportsman cp3 be enough? How far can a sportsman get me on the lml? I was fighting rail pressure on my lmm with stock sticks, finally went 10mm on the lmm.

According to my tuner sportsman will support around 650ish hp. Anything over that he suggested a 10mm and bigger sticks.

I went sportsman but I don’t plan on doing a different turbo setup.

I did cp3, downpipe and s&b cai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
My two cents is CP3 and "Y" bridge.

The stock "Y" bridge is necked down pretty bad where the EGR sits in front of it.

I did WCFab "Y" bridge with cold air bundle and the hot side pipe, LB7 up pipe, WCFab downpipe, WCFab CP3 kit with Exergy Sportsman pump and 4" FloPro. Very happy with the truck now.

My CP4 had metal shavings on the screen at 44,000 miles.
https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81550

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
How do you like the UDT tunes? Do you have any "dead pedal" or low speed lag with it?

As for the original question, I'd probably do the cp3 conversion.
Love my UDT tunes! Absolutely zero dead pedal, most responsive truck I’ve had. I ran Korys tunes on my stock air/fuel lmm before and modded vgt and wasn’t impressed. Danville tuned my 369. The low and mid range is good, can be cruising stab the throttle and she just goes! I drove a stock 2015 ford 6.7 the other day and was amazed at how much throttle input it took to get that thing to go anywhere. My lml was only stock for 4 days but I remember taking it on the test drive like this is it? Lol

According to my tuner sportsman will support around 650ish hp. Anything over that he suggested a 10mm and bigger sticks.

I went sportsman but I don’t plan on doing a different turbo setup.

I did cp3, downpipe and s&b cai.

I’m just leaning sportsman for now, going to need a trans and 369 before I will be maxing out a sportsman setup.

My two cents is CP3 and "Y" bridge.

The stock "Y" bridge is necked down pretty bad where the EGR sits in front of it.

I did WCFab "Y" bridge with cold air bundle and the hot side pipe, LB7 up pipe, WCFab downpipe, WCFab CP3 kit with Exergy Sportsman pump and 4" FloPro. Very happy with the truck now.

My CP4 had metal shavings on the screen at 44,000 miles.
https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81550

Wow that’s pretty scary.. I’m at 70k, truck was completely stock at 60k. I threw a fass on right away. What kind of power are you making with sportsman and you bridge setup?

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Other question... do I need to delete the egr to do the sdp cp3 swap?

Just ordered a sdp cp3 conversion with exergy sportsman pump!

Last edited:

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Wow that’s pretty scary.. I’m at 70k, truck was completely stock at 60k. I threw a fass on right away. What kind of power are you making with sportsman and you bridge setup?

Other question... do I need to delete the egr to do the sdp cp3 swap?

Just ordered a sdp cp3 conversion with exergy sportsman pump!

Yeah, it was. As I said in the other thread, I was just the CP3 for insurance type thing. It was an eye opener when I saw that screen. I'm at 44,000 miles now, FASS 150 has been on it since 26,000 miles.

As far as power I really do not know. Just finished the updates on Monday, it has not been on a dyno. I'm running a single 50hp tune from Dan's Diesel. It runs very well, I'm quite happy with it.

From what I was told, the CP3 will not fit with the EGR in place. There may be a kit that makes it work? But i do not know. I removed all remnants of it from mine. An absolutely incredible amount of components and fasteners that do not go back on the truck, when doing a full delete.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Yeah, it was. As I said in the other thread, I was just the CP3 for insurance type thing. It was an eye opener when I saw that screen. I'm at 44,000 miles now, FASS 150 has been on it since 26,000 miles.

As far as power I really do not know. Just finished the updates on Monday, it has not been on a dyno. I'm running a single 50hp tune from Dan's Diesel. It runs very well, I'm quite happy with it.

From what I was told, the CP3 will not fit with the EGR in place. There may be a kit that makes it work? But i do not know. I removed all remnants of it from mine. An absolutely incredible amount of components and fasteners that do not go back on the truck, when doing a full delete.

I’m currently on a 200hp tune. I asked for a crazy hot tune, I know I’m playing with fire but been watching rail and she’s holding good. Will make me feel much better having the cp3 in there. I’ve swapped one before so shouldn’t be too bad this time around

Yes.

Can I just do a cheap pipe from grid heater to y bridge and cut the riser off for the time being till I can throw a full sdp y bridge setup in there? Do lml y bridges blow out like lbz/lmm?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I would definitely do the cp3 first thing. If your trans if holding on for now and you really want the pipe setup do that next. Then trans. It’s gonna go out anyways. Might at well squeeze it till ya can

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Can I just do a cheap pipe from grid heater to y bridge and cut the riser off for the time being till I can throw a full sdp y bridge setup in there? Do lml y bridges blow out like lbz/lmm?

I don't believe that they do. Different design from the factory.

You can, or just put a blocker plate on the stock "Y" bridge where the EGR used to be.

Leave the rest of the stock intake alone. Unplug the grid heater and the throttle body, or not. Those are turned off in the tuning anyways.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I would definitely do the cp3 first thing. If your trans if holding on for now and you really want the pipe setup do that next. Then trans. It’s gonna go out anyways. Might at well squeeze it till ya can
Exergy sportsman is on the way, think I will do the y bridge setup then trans. Truck was 100% bone stock when I got it and have put 10k miles on it. When I just serviced the trans it looked phenomenal. Fluid was still light pink/red, smelt great. Hardly any residue on pan magnet and nothing on bottom of pan. My old built trans looked way worse when I dropped the pan on that to service it. Bumped line pressure up with epc fooler, I know it’s a band aid but I don’t drive this like my lmm. Older and wiser now :roflmao:
I don't believe that they do. Different design from the factory.

You can, or just put a blocker plate on the stock "Y" bridge where the EGR used to be.

Leave the rest of the stock intake alone. Unplug the grid heater and the throttle body, or not. Those are turned off in the tuning anyways.

Cool, I’ll probably just throw a cheap pipe on then for now. Just as well cut the riser so I don’t have to worry about a cracked bellow. Both are already unplugged and shut off in tuning!

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Cool, I’ll probably just throw a cheap pipe on then for now. Just as well cut the riser so I don’t have to worry about a cracked bellow. Both are already unplugged and shut off in tuning!

I meant a blocker on the factory "Y" bridge, once you remove the EGR.