New l5p owner

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
Traded in my lml for an l5p, any feed back? Are there any tunes avalible for it ? I don't know how to add pics.
attachment.php

Idk if I did it right

Attachments

• IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 338

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Looks nice. Enjoy it stock. Nothing available, and probably won't be for a bit....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Afe has a box, but no tunes yet, and I doubt there will be any actual tuning in the near future.

We've said that before, esp the LML, and look where we are now. I won't underestimate the ingenuity of the aftermarket. Someone will. Eventually.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
We've said that before, esp the LML, and look where we are now. I won't underestimate the ingenuity of the aftermarket. Someone will. Eventually.

Exactly. With technology advancing as rapidly as it is lately, what seems impossible to crack today will be child's play next week.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

They never said the lml was uncrackable was the thing, they just said it wasn't going to be easy as you couldn't read the tune through the data port which is still true. Efilive said from the get go it was tuneable, but one had to physically open the ecm, solder in a jumper, connect to the internal board port, and read it that way to obtain a tune file. And this process is still true for lml's. What did change was efilives stance on offerring tuning on an ECM that the customer couldn't read there own base file out of.

The issue with the L5P is entirely different. GM kept data port reading locked out, but went one step furthur by encrypting the internal port with high level security. The other part is GM patented this encryption system back in 14, so if somebody does crack it, they better be able to prove they did it on there own, or else the lawsuits will bankrupt anybody who tries to profit from it. I'm sure it will get cracked eventually after enough people scream for it, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Feedback: 98mph comes way too fast when going 80mph and trying to pass :mad:
Feedback: If racing, leave as the 2nd amber turns off (Dead petal for days):roflmao:
Feedback: When DEF is empty (0%), you get a free 500mi before reduced speed :thumb:
Feedback: Dont worry about parking far away in empty lots while at the store.., some ass hat will still park next to you and door ding you. :(

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Feedback: 98mph comes way too fast when going 80mph and trying to pass :mad:
Feedback: If racing, leave as the 2nd amber turns off (Dead petal for days):roflmao:
Feedback: When DEF is empty (0%), you get a free 500mi before reduced speed :thumb:
Feedback: Dont worry about parking far away in empty lots while at the store.., some ass hat will still park next to you and door ding you. :(

This is great

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
They never said the lml was uncrackable was the thing, they just said it wasn't going to be easy as you couldn't read the tune through the data port which is still true. Efilive said from the get go it was tuneable, but one had to physically open the ecm, solder in a jumper, connect to the internal board port, and read it that way to obtain a tune file. And this process is still true for lml's. What did change was efilives stance on offerring tuning on an ECM that the customer couldn't read there own base file out of.

The issue with the L5P is entirely different. GM kept data port reading locked out, but went one step furthur by encrypting the internal port with high level security. The other part is GM patented this encryption system back in 14, so if somebody does crack it, they better be able to prove they did it on there own, or else the lawsuits will bankrupt anybody who tries to profit from it. I'm sure it will get cracked eventually after enough people scream for it, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

I was told the encryption is based off of international wire transfer security systems. If that's true then I doubt anyone will want to publically disclose they cracked it, or that anyone who can crack it will...

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I was told the encryption is based off of international wire transfer security systems. If that's true then I doubt anyone will want to publically disclose they cracked it, or that anyone who can crack it will...

According to the patents filed, GM stepped up to sha-2 digital signatures(sha-256, 256 bit, 32 bytle level). It is a product of the nsa, and has been deemed uncrackable. Supposedly it is similiar(but more advanced) than what the video game companies are using, and in over a decade there's has yet to be cracked by hoards of computer literate hackers and such. So the chances of it just being hacked by somebody wanting to tune a truck is pretty slim.

From what I've gathered, the data is present in the ecm and if one can read the code out they can see it, but the sha-2 digital signature prevents ANY modifying of the code without havi,g GM's digital key. And the digital key is held by GM and never leaves GM. It is only needed to make modifications to the code. It's way over my head, so I have to take the word of those like efilive, ppei, and others when they say there is NO chances of thos getting cracked anytime soon, and IF one did the NSA would be at your door before you could even think of talking about it since it's there high level code you would have just cracked. So unless GM has a change of heart, the chances of l5p tuning is pretty much nill.

Heres some reading on it from those ALOT smarter than I about it.
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?27554-2017-Duramax

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
What about a standalone ecm? Seems like a lot of work for some tuning though.

This actually gives me a better reason to buy one over a lml because I can actually leave a vehicle alone for once in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
That EFILive thread was depressing. If Tony, Kory, Ross and Ben all agree its not possible, then damn.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
My guess we will see replacement, tune able ECMs that will plug into the L5P harness.

It will be expensive but people will pay. And it could potentially be very very advantageous in the aftermarket because there would no longer be "hidden tables" and stuff like that to deal with.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
My guess we will see replacement, tune able ECMs that will plug into the L5P harness.

It will be expensive but people will pay. And it could potentially be very very advantageous in the aftermarket because there would no longer be "hidden tables" and stuff like that to deal with.

I don't see that happening cause all of the modules have to talk to each other..

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
I don't see that happening cause all of the modules have to talk to each other..

That's true but there is a lot of $$$ in tuning/deleting these trucks. If this is the point where it is cheaper to develop an ecm that can communicate with the bcm/tcm/gpcm than it is to unlock the stock ecm to tune it, someone will build a compatible ecm & sell it. Almost every aftermarket standalone ecm on the market today is capable of talking to several different modules via a CANbus (all of the module currently being aftermarket)

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Won't happen. GM put a stop to it once and for all with the L5P at least that's what I was told. Funny thing is I remember everyone agreeing that if GM released a 450 hp stock engine there would be no need... Lol...