New l5p owner

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
That's true but there is a lot of $$$ in tuning/deleting these trucks. If this is the point where it is cheaper to develop an ecm that can communicate with the bcm/tcm/gpcm than it is to unlock the stock ecm to tune it, someone will build a compatible ecm & sell it. Almost every aftermarket standalone ecm on the market today is capable of talking to several different modules via a CANbus (all of the module currently being aftermarket)
But if the other modules are the same way.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
If you read through that efilive thread, a stand alone lml ecm/tcm combo was posted. It's not cheap at $5K, but it is designed to give lb7 type tuning to lly+ trucks. No nonsense, no bs, just straight tuning. And if it can work for an lml, it stands to reason it can be adapted to the l5p. And as to making the other modules work, I'm sure somebody like kidturbo could make a gateway to do so if there was enough interest. So yes, they could be tuned. But it won't be easy, cheap, and not for the average owner.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Only way it happens is if accompany partners with GM for a "racing division" or something along those lines.

This avoids legal issues, ensures GM is paid a royalty fee (for there base tuning), and virtually eliminates warranty fraud. Only way I see it happening. And yes even this is a long shot.

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
Just put 60 miles on my truck and very disappointed, I have a coolant leak on the bottom radiator hose and the leather on the steering wheel it has a bubble...

Last edited:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
If you read through that efilive thread, a stand alone lml ecm/tcm combo was posted. It's not cheap at $5K, but it is designed to give lb7 type tuning to lly+ trucks. No nonsense, no bs, just straight tuning. And if it can work for an lml, it stands to reason it can be adapted to the l5p. And as to making the other modules work, I'm sure somebody like kidturbo could make a gateway to do so if there was enough interest. So yes, they could be tuned. But it won't be easy, cheap, and not for the average owner.

I would gladly pay 5K for this on a 2018 L5P if it were out there.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I would gladly pay 5K for this on a 2018 L5P if it were out there.

Exactly. I would go order an L5P tomorrow if someone came out with something that allowed you to "backspace/remove" some parts and tune them up a bit.

In all honesty it could me more then 5K. I'm not sure what the cutoff price would be but when you consider people are paying 50-75K for a new truck...... I'll bet they'd be willing to pay a lot to tune them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I'm not so sure I would, if there isn't tuning out in a year I'm gonna be tempted to trade my truck for a 16 lml.. I've got over 34k miles on my L5p already so in a year I could be around 80k.. 5k could by a stroker cp3 and another turbo for the lml..

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
Good for you!
Do they have a return policy?
I know my local dealer does a 30day thing but who knows if they truly honor that...

The gsm came out and talk to me he gave me another discount plus we signed a paper that I had 6 months to "Test" the vehicle if I wasn't 100% satisfied they would give me a new one. No questions asked .