Need more noise!

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Do a turbo delete mod. That'll make it louder!
I can't say anything about the unburnt fuel, but noise is a form of energy. An engine that runs quieter is using more of the energy from the fuel and will theoretically make more power. That doesn't mean running a muffler or a quieter exhaust in general will make your truck more powerful, because that is just converting the energy into another form. That said, I don't agree with anything coco said.

I didn't mean exhaust noise specifically, like a quieter or louder exhaust, I meant excessive undue noise you hear through the exhaust pulse/note, that then can be followed back to the engine and hear in the form of the engine moving/working.

You don't agree with anything I said, huh? Yet you encompassed pretty much all of it. Really its too big a principle for ME to try and explain, I can't remember or find the site I read about this, but you hit the nail on the head.

Noise is a form of energy, so is heat. Noisy engines, are less efficient. Period. Take the powerstroke for example, it claks like no other, yet it's not all that powerful and even a stock one will smoke(unburnt fuel due to inefficiency) same thing for mid to early 2000's dodges, yet they make good power, the duramax on the other hand, is one of the quietest v8 diesels I have ever heard, and the cleanest burning out of the big three, even tuned with an exhaust it's quieter than my buddies stock dodge, well, he does have an exhaust now, but stock to stock, we all know the duramax is a quieter running machine, and, cubic inch to cubic inch, the d-max puts out more power, and I'd be willing to bet, less heat out the tailpipe too.

I apologize for making this point out of context with the op's thread, what I was trying to get across was not what the op was asking for/about. However what i was saying, was in fact, truth. Wether or not you want to understand it, or agree with me, well, that doesn't really matter to me...

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
IDK, the new 6.7 PSD is damn quiet, my friends mom thought it was a gasser at first..

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
To the op, I had a single stack with no muffler for a bit. It was loud, when towing the drone was real loud in the cab. So if loud is what you want put a stack on your truck. Oh and when it rains be prepared for a mess. Now I have a muffler plus twins so its way better in the cab, I can here people talking now. Your truck your money, do as you wish.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
IDK, the new 6.7 PSD is damn quiet, my friends mom thought it was a gasser at first..

The new fords and dodges are really quiet, smooth and powerful (things the duramax had accomplished since its inception) they have come a long way in terms of internal engine efficiency which has led to an overall better efficiency. I was mainly referring to the early 2000's rigs, like the 7.3 and 6.0 fords and the 5.7 cummins, they are pretty loud, even stock. But the new stuff rolling out it light years better than the previous generations, whereas the duramax hasn't really changed all that much, that is the other part of the comparison I had left out, the duramax still stacks up against the brand new tech that ford and dodge are putting out with all their platform changes, and the d-max has been around for over 12 years:thumb: the biggest change GM has made has been in the chassis, the gmt 900, but the engine and drive train have stayed relatively unchanged. D-max FTW :thumb:

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Another thing, that again is from the gasser world, but the slower you are the louder you wanna be, then when you get fast, you wanna be quiet.

I have a open downpipe on my camaro and its not bad, but def will be getting a nice 3" ran out the back with a cutout for track outings. Loud attracts to much attention