Need a rebuild in ohio!

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I'm in the same boat as the original poster. Believe it or not my ATS is still holding. I would like to get the trans freshened up before this season. I have a feeling there's some hard parts worn out after 6 years of abuse!

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Fun Fun!

Dimitri is a scam and cheat. I make one post on his facebook and now I'm blocked. lol He blocks other people (not me) so they can't tell the truth on him. That's why he likes fagbook so he can control it. Eric maybe we just need to do you tranny and mine. I was offered help on here and all I would need is a few special tools I think. That's the only thing I don't do so maybe it's time.

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
jeff put me in line i still want to get one done just been dragging my feet and if you want to try it out on mine i will bring it up and drop it off

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
He is cocky and flamboyant and very smart.. Hell kyle Michaels a lot don't like him either and he is cocky and flamboyant.. Doesn't mean he is shady.

Dmitri is currently ripping Dylan stormount(hickstown performance) a new one for extremely shady work on Facebook with pictures
Fwiw there is a thread about Dylan on here

Looks like he is propping himself up quite nicely too huh. :rolleyes:

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Well either way dylan is a scam and a hack, seen it first person with my own eyes. All this aside i still need a trans built hear me out on this one guys. At the shop i work at now we have a guy who builds our transmissions. Thats all he does is rebuild and overhaul them. He's done allisons before but just normal rebuilds. With me working here i can get mine built for around 400-600 dollars for labor, and i supply the parts. I 100% trust his ability to rebuild transmissions but is there any secret tricks and custom upgrades that he will have to know when rebuilding an allison for performance? Or is it pretty straight forward if i supply the parts he should know what to do. Transmission internals are new to me. Ive replaced valve body's and done shift kits but thats it. What do you guys think? I dont want to get burnt and have to take it to someone later down the road who specializes in allison performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I'm pretty sure Mike has a few tricks up his sleeve when he puts together a competition built ally. I'm not sure what all ATS screws up in the Allison once someone puts ATS parts inside one. I think the valve body gets a couple holes drilled in it and maybe a custom pump kit. I think something else gets machined down for more clutches? Either way it almost sounds like I either need to buy a stock trans and start over or have Kyle freshen it up. Kicken myself in the ass for selling a complete ally for 1,000 :buttkick:

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Dimitri is a scam and cheat. I make one post on his facebook and now I'm blocked. lol He blocks other people (not me) so they can't tell the truth on him. That's why he likes fagbook so he can control it. Eric maybe we just need to do you tranny and mine. I was offered help on here and all I would need is a few special tools I think. That's the only thing I don't do so maybe it's time.

Might have to take you up on that Jeff. Mine would be a good test mule since I drive the damn thing about 100 miles a year :roflmao: I'm not apposed to boxing the damn thing up and shipping it to someone either.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Well either way dylan is a scam and a hack, seen it first person with my own eyes. All this aside i still need a trans built hear me out on this one guys. At the shop i work at now we have a guy who builds our transmissions. Thats all he does is rebuild and overhaul them. He's done allisons before but just normal rebuilds. With me working here i can get mine built for around 400-600 dollars for labor, and i supply the parts. I 100% trust his ability to rebuild transmissions but is there any secret tricks and custom upgrades that he will have to know when rebuilding an allison for performance? Or is it pretty straight forward if i supply the parts he should know what to do. Transmission internals are new to me. Ive replaced valve body's and done shift kits but thats it. What do you guys think? I dont want to get burnt and have to take it to someone later down the road who specializes in allison performance.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not that straight forward. It might be better than stock but there are many different tweaks that can be done. Most builders do not give away that information.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Allison is not that bad for a tranny easier to work on than say a 4l80, 400 or 350. Danville sells sc6-3 for 1600-1800 triple disc is ~1500. Plus core charge
ATSG is like 40.00. Plus fluid and you have less than 4,000 in it if you do it yourself

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Allison is not that bad for a tranny easier to work on than say a 4l80, 400 or 350. Danville sells sc6-3 for 1600-1800 triple disc is ~1500. Plus core charge
ATSG is like 40.00. Plus fluid and you have less than 4,000 in it if you do it yourself

Words of wisdom here. And for another 500 bucks you could have a pro do it.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I'm pretty sure Mike has a few tricks up his sleeve when he puts together a competition built ally. I'm not sure what all ATS screws up in the Allison once someone puts ATS parts inside one. I think the valve body gets a couple holes drilled in it and maybe a custom pump kit. I think something else gets machined down for more clutches? Either way it almost sounds like I either need to buy a stock trans and start over or have Kyle freshen it up. Kicken myself in the ass for selling a complete ally for 1,000 :buttkick:

It doesn't take that much to undo what ATS does.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Saying a competent mechanic can't read directions?!?.

There will always be people willing to pay someone to do sonething

There in lies your problem as far as understanding. If you don't know how it works; you have no idea why it worked or didn't work when it's done.
A kit gives you clutches and a few instructions. What did that tell you?
What does the pump and stator support bushing look like? How about the internal harness? Have the Torrington bearings been split open for inspection?
What was the cause of the original failure and don't tell me the clutches were burned. There is a reason for the damage and it has to be addressed. Throwing new clutches at it won't help.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I think it's the tricks that aren't in any instructions that makes people willing to pay for it.

The tricks are knowing how everything works and enhancing the process to make it work better. Knowing where the fluid flows and knowing if it needs extra fluid flow or if it doesn't need so much and can you divert the flow to a better place.
How do the clutches exhaust and where do they exhaust. Can that be diverted to lube another clutch and help it? What is the pressure to each clutch pack and how does it correspond to the next clutch that is releasing?
Adam, wasn't it you who put your pistons in backwards and said it didn't matter? And you want to trust ant old mechanic that can read to build a trans?

As far as which transmission is harder; monkeys can build a 350 or 400 trans and make them work. They are easy to diagnose. Allisons look easy and if yours works, you really don't know why. It just did.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
There in lies your problem as far as understanding. If you don't know how it works; you have no idea why it worked or didn't work when it's done.
A kit gives you clutches and a few instructions. What did that tell you?
What does the pump and stator support bushing look like? How about the internal harness? Have the Torrington bearings been split open for inspection?
What was the cause of the original failure and don't tell me the clutches were burned. There is a reason for the damage and it has to be addressed. Throwing new clutches at it won't help.

Interesting the mike l of ~7years ago said the SCIV now gmax5/6 was capable of being installed by a competent DIY mechanic in a weekend.

Now it's take it to a professional...

For the most part, hard parts and consumables haven't really changed. They have for the top end builds but not for the avg off the shelf kits

The OP sounds like a extremely competent DIY wrench...
The basic advice you gave is get an ATSG manual familiarize yourself with the transmission, and I'll find the link or someone can for the diy tool need to hold the clutch packs in while both front and rear ends are off.. Which might be here and its definitely over on dieselplace

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
No offense Adam but I'd bet they have figured out a lot of different things and what works/doesn't work better in 7 years! Anyone who can read and wrench could put a "kit" in and it would "work".

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Adam, wasn't it you who put your pistons in backwards and said it didn't matter? And you want to trust ant old mechanic that can read to build a trans?

As far as which transmission is harder; monkeys can build a 350 or 400 trans and make them work. They are easy to diagnose. Allisons look easy and if yours works, you really don't know why. It just did.
Yep and guy screwed the machine work up, built for 750hp sold it to delong who put two big compounds on it and ran deep into the 10s (pushing well over 1000hp) at elevation then split a delipped cast OEM piston... Posted then deleted the pictures that indicated pwtc was too tight on all 8 cylinders

Yet you told as well as many on here a 4l85 wouldn't last behind a dmax, let alone in a hotshot application running upwards of 26,000lbs
My th400 thread from 09 had you baffled.. I used the ATSG to map out the hyd circuits to figure out why it wouldn't hold direct cltuch engaged
This isn't rocket science

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
No offense Adam but I'd bet they have figured out a lot of different things and what works/doesn't work better in 7 years! Anyone who can read and wrench could put a "kit" in and it would "work".

Basic build up from 7 years ago to now hasn't really changed
Basic Alto red eagles will hold enough hp to break oem hard party with hyd mods.. It been done repeatedly