Mod to turbo intake horn

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
JMO but I don't see much room for improvement without changing to the LBZ runners. I'm going to be trying something in the near future that will be totaly different but will only work with LBZ runners.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I'll look into the bridges. I know there a problem (restriction) area. The demand has to good enough to make it worth it though. I know Jeff Toman was making some (Toman Industies). I would have to talk to him before undertaking this (he may still be supplying them). I don't step on toes or copy others stuff (not that I'm aware of). Had that happen enough in the past that's still going on today. I was raised with those values. Sorry for the rant. Back on subject. The crossover bridge would be a good item to have available.

Coppying is bad:mad: but remember no one owns the right to a specific area of the engine. Your not stepping on toes unless you build the same part, its fine to build a part to replace the same part;)

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
JMO but I don't see much room for improvement without changing to the LBZ runners. I'm going to be trying something in the near future that will be totaly different but will only work with LBZ runners.

what i meant was im not changing to the LBZ runners to put the LBZ y bridge on because the bridge isnt much better then the LB7/LLY. Now if someone made the LBZ y bridge bigger and better then i would switch to the LBZ runners.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
just a thought but nathan at mpi is making bigger y bridges my twin kit is coming with one but dont know the cost , details, or if he is willing to sell them seperate .

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Where do I send the check Michael? It's about time you got your ass back into development.:D:hug:

X6 This is something I overlooked. Could definitely help my 09 goals. Let me know when and where to send $$.

Maybe you thought of this already, but would it be possible, or even workable, to machine a new flange for the turbo and just attach a larger pipe to it?

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Question: Has anyone quantified how much more air is flowing through the enlarged mouthpiece, and if so, how does this effect the turbo's efficiency and max boost number?

(I hope those arent stupid questions)

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Question: Has anyone quantified how much more air is flowing through the enlarged mouthpiece, and if so, how does this effect the turbo's efficiency and max boost number?

(I hope those arent stupid questions)

from what i gather... the max opening on the compressor hosing is bigger then the opening onthe horn... kinda like a 4" pipe trying to suck throuhg a 3" pipe...doesnt work well with 90* edges...

from what i have gathered it seams the michela is smothing thr transistion joint for better air flow by removing the air "eddies"

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure

I haven't gotten that far yet. However, I am working on the flange mount (tight fit). There is several things this is effecting right now. This may be part of the reason to turbos don't hold up to well at higher boost. Think of what a airplane propeller does at speed (it pulls). This is sucking through a straw and wears the thrust bearings out way quicker (in and out on the shaft),,, contact with compressor housing,,, BOOM.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I did some rough figuring today, and found that the new opening is approx 23.6% larger than the stock one.

Does anyone know what formula to use to calculate cfm using PSI and area? I'm good with numbers but not formulas.

Killerbee

Got Honey?
then velocity is 23% slower. But this alone is does not give enough info to determine what you want to know Tom. You can expect the pressure drop to decrease with the reduced velocity, and in general, on straight sections, pressure drop rises (falls) to the square of the velocity increase (decrease). But I would just defer to measuring MAF experimentally. If you get more than a 5% flow rate increase, that will be a good improvement. I have seen 10%+ with 60% x-area increases on the LLY IOH kit improvements.

Back when the LLY issues were sorting themselves out in my Garage, Brandon (turbotug) brought his LB7 mouthpiece, and we came to the conclusion that it was not the best design, with a constriction prominent right at the compressor face. This is an area I have avoided till now, being so busy with the LLY project.

You can find a side-side comparison of them in the TF primer.

http://members.cox.net/td-eoc/INDUCTION-THERMAL FEEDBACK PRIMER.pdf

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
I got your voice message Michael. I'll bring an intake horn along next time I come by your place :D. Hopefully sooner than later. I'm eager to try this out.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
The thing that has been deduced here is that the truck definitely spools quicker and gets off the line more quickly with less lag. It's making better power on bottom and mid range for sure (top end hasn't been tested well enough yet to make a firm statement). This tells me one thing. No doubt the turbo is working easier and this will help the life span of it at an rate.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
then velocity is 23% slower. But this alone is does not give enough info to determine what you want to know Tom. You can expect the pressure drop to decrease with the reduced velocity, and in general, on straight sections, pressure drop rises (falls) to the square of the velocity increase (decrease). But I would just defer to measuring MAF experimentally. If you get more than a 5% flow rate increase, that will be a good improvement. I have seen 10%+ with 60% x-area increases on the LLY IOH kit improvements.

Back when the LLY issues were sorting themselves out in my Garage, Brandon (turbotug) brought his LB7 mouthpiece, and we came to the conclusion that it was not the best design, with a constriction prominent right at the compressor face. This is an area I have avoided till now, being so busy with the LLY project.
Thanks for explaining that to me. I dont know the first thing about turbo theory, or airflow characteristics. I wouldve thought youd just gain more volume with the larger area...didnt take into account the pressure drop that would also be there. Guess thats why I drive a truck for a living, and leave the engineering stuff to you guys. :rofl:

The thing that has been deduced here is that the truck definitely spools quicker and gets off the line more quickly with less lag. It's making better power on bottom and mid range for sure (top end hasn't been tested well enough yet to make a firm statement). This tells me one thing. No doubt the turbo is working easier and this will help the life span of it at an rate.

You are speaking my language there. Quicker spoolup, less lag, more boost, more bottom end power where I need it. Im sold on the idea.

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state

You can find a side-side comparison of them in the TF primer.

http://members.cox.net/td-eoc/INDUCTION-THERMAL FEEDBACK PRIMER.pdf

just becuase there is less pressure drop/or less velocity DOES NOT mean less air is flowing.
on a centirfugal pump have a vaccum at the suction side is a bad thing. increasing suction areas... alows for little vaccum as possible.. making the compressor X% more effcient