Mod to turbo intake horn

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Just a little test I finally preformed on a another LB7 to try to help with air flow to the stock turbo. The owner had great reviews on the mod. Said it spooled up much quicker and much harder. I need to get my reg and suction pump mod done on it next to help more. I cant believe GM did this. It's choking the turbo down. The tube exits into the turbo at 2.430". I opened it up to about 2.780" and put a 1/4 radius on the lip where it goes into the charger. We haven't done extensive testing on it yet, but it looks VERY promising for guys with stock chargers that want a little more. What do you think?

Attachments

• LB7 turbo intake horn 001.jpg
    LB7 turbo intake horn 001.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 1,011
  • LB7 turbo intake horn 002.jpg
    LB7 turbo intake horn 002.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 826
  • LB7 turbo intake horn 003.jpg
    LB7 turbo intake horn 003.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 772
  • LB7 turbo intake horn 004.jpg
    LB7 turbo intake horn 004.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 761
  • LB7 turbo intake horn 005.jpg
    LB7 turbo intake horn 005.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 806
Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Where do I send the check Michael? It's about time you got your ass back into development.:D:hug:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
X2, what did you use? I knew of this but i noticed that by opening it up, looks like airflow would go into the void around the inducer? so i left it alone. Seems opening it up and how bout a bushing sandwiched between to flow uninterupted into the compressor would be a hot trick? Thanks for posting, i might take on this endevor too!

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I don't know about the bushing. This pretty much smooths it out and helps the transition for the air. The next ones will have a larger transition for the radius. This and the CP3 regulator with suction pump mod (some will remember me starting this back in early 05) is awesome power mods for stock looking trucks (reg on moded trucks as well). We don't know how many HP these all add together over a stocker (comparable mods). One thing we do know. Both as individual mods decrease spool up time noticably and we found out back in 05 the reg moded offered increased HP and even more in the torque department. This intake mod was very noticable to the driver through the powerband. He said it spooled quicker too (stands to reason because the stocker intake is basicly a turbo bushing reducer. This truck testing it is a manual 6 speed, and it is importaint to him to reduce lag. He said he was happy. :hug:

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
This was no fun to set up to cut (need a jig). I have a machine shop (regained after every thing was stollen), and I just bored it (very carefully). I'll get a few made up to send out and do an exchange program. PM sent Mikey.

Glad you got everything back Michael :hug:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Just a little test I finally preformed on a another LB7 to try to help with air flow to the stock turbo. The owner had great reviews on the mod. Said it spooled up much quicker and much harder. I need to get my reg and suction pump mod done on it next to help more. I cant believe GM did this. It's choking the turbo down. The tube exits into the turbo at 2.430". I opened it up to about 2.780" and put a 1/4 radius on the lip where it goes into the charger. We haven't done extensive testing on it yet, but it looks VERY promising for guys with stock chargers that want a little more. What do you think?

hmm havent looked at mine..

what is the opening on the compressor cover?

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
what is the opening on the compressor cover?

I can't remember Adam. I'll have to go out to the shop and measure it. I forgot the dim. It's around 3.150 dia. To many other things going on. I'm going to make a new intake mount as well that will replace this altogether and a larger intake can be hooked up for hopefully even better gains.

Last edited:

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
I have a buddy that would be interested in this. He uses his truck every day so there couldn't be any downtime. Could you PM some info on this and maybe the cost on maybe exchanging the air horn.

Thanks,
Shane

eds04max

May 7, 2008
Landis, N.C.
Mike!!.........it is, indeed, good to see ya' back at it!!!
I may have one LB7 horn laying around.

I did this some time ago but can't say how much it helped since I did some other mods at the same time. I modified the stock IHI and then machined the horn to flush-up. Anyway........good mod!!:thumb: