LBZ: LML Manifolds and Up-pipes

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I've heard the LML manifolds are bigger and am thinking about using them instead of just a BD on my driverside. Is this true?
Will they bolt right up without having to mess around?
What about the egr part of the P/S up-pipe? Can a guy just cut that off and weld them up?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I don't think the up pipes will work or if they do its not worth the time or hassle to put them on. But yes the driver side lml manifold will bolt right up and it is not necked down like the original manifold is. $100 at the dealer. I put one on my truck and haven't noticed a single difference.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Hmmnn. So the LML manifold will bolt right up to the LBZ up pipe then your saying. Good to know. And ya for $100, way better option.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Just run with a LML manifold on your driver side and a LB7 uppipe on your pass side! Everything is bolt right up! You can get the manifold off gmpartsdirect.com for less then $100 shipped!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
the only thing i had to do was tweak the heat shield a little to get it to fit back on the LML manifold but other then that it was super easy, hit all the bolts with PBblaster before you go out to actually do the job it really helps.

I paid $67 but i get everything at cost. Merchant Auto has then for right under 100 as well.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Cool.
I already have a fed up pipe on the P/S.
manifolds are all coming off anyways as the heads are going in to get resealed and checked out so manifolds will be off anyhow.
I'll get my GM tech buddy to check out his price and see what he can get them for.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
the driver side manifold is redic close to the IC boot on the LB7...is the heat shield making a difference at all or no?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Plastic fender liners come to mind, on a long drive with glowing manifolds with outside temperature's at about 90+ and no heat shields could potentially melt the liners.............I prefer not to chance it.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Plastic fender liners come to mind, on a long drive with glowing manifolds with outside temperature's at about 90+ and no heat shields could potentially melt the liners.............I prefer not to chance it.

If that were the case, then every one of us with aftermarket manifolds would be having big problems. You'd also have heard of issues with BD manifolds b/c the heat shields didnt fit well over them.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'd be more worried about glow plug wires.
I'll make it work!

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
If that were the case, then every one of us with aftermarket manifolds would be having big problems. You'd also have heard of issues with BD manifolds b/c the heat shields didnt fit well over them.

You probably will not have any problems as you live in Michigan, please read the last words in my post............."I prefer not to chance it" I live in Phoenix Az. average summertime temperature is 100.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
same here, although not phoenix temp i still saw a month of 100* straight, id rather not chance it since the heat shield took literally 30 seconds to modify...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You probably will not have any problems as you live in Michigan, please read the last words in my post............."I prefer not to chance it" I live in Phoenix Az. average summertime temperature is 100.

Lol it doesn't make any difference C20. I would have a melted fender liner or hurt my intercooler tube by now.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Lol it doesn't make any difference C20. I would have a melted fender liner or hurt my intercooler tube by now.

Your under hood temps and egt's might be different from an 02 to my 06 with a cat-con and stock exhaust. Lots of differences to contend with to make a comparisons from my truck to yours........:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Your under hood temps and egt's might be different from an 02 to my 06 with a cat-con and stock exhaust. Lots of differences to contend with to make a comparisons from my truck to yours........:thumb:

It doesnt matter, they both at just as close to the fender liner and hot intercooler pipe as the older years and run egts waaaaay cooler in stock from than i do any day regardless of what emissions equipemnt is on it. I can prove that it has no affect where heat, pressure, temps are way above stock. It's easily seen by the fact nothing has changed either of the parts in question.

Yours being stock would only better the chances of "said issues" not happening ;)