Lb7 piston max hp?

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Curious what everyone's opinions are regarding holding power of LBZ rods vs LB7 cut and coated pistons. I've heard 700 rwhp thrown around often. Of course that depends completely on what combination of parts is making that power. Is the general consensus that LBZ rods and LB7 cut and coated pistons will both "handle" roughly 700 rhwp with reasonable reliability?

Every truck is different but last winter i converted my 05 to an lbz and put a long block in with 278k miles. It pretty much pulled/raced EVERY weekend with 100%s, 10mm pump, and a modded LLY turbo or danville 72 from april to september. I put a single s476 on it in late sep with the old fueling and beat the hell out of my truck pretty hard as its a daily driver. I went 11.4 one time with it with the 76. Then went to dual fuelers. Pulled with it a few times and then finally lost a piston on the street in the middle of a hard pull early nov. When it came out it had 303k miles on it. They will take some abuse with good tuning and big injectors to keep pulse width down. With a single pump my max tune was 2250uS if i recall.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
If 600 is the number then that combination seems a waste of time to me. We all know of some stock engine guys running over 600 rwhp without failure but that's gambling. Seems there really is no budget setup that is worthwhile.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Many guys say tuning plays a huge role. Witch it does to a certain point. Many tuners can pull back the torque and keep the hp high. But torque is what matters in my opinion on a heavy truck. I have seen 7-800hp/1100tq stock bottom end trucks dyno well. But yet still run 12s in the 1/4

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
I have read a little.

They say that lb7 piston handle mostad hp/tourqe of orgin piston.

Some says that mahle produce them, but i don't know.

So the big question, a good set of lb7 piston, how much do they handle? I know that everything can break even at stock power, but have anybody tested the breaking point for these piston?

Sorry for many stupid question's on this forum, but i feel that this place is best for good answers..

Andre sorry for my bad english, i'm still an norwegian:)

Trans still stock or built?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway
Trans will be build. No way that stock trans handle that power. The parts will be ordred when i have money for IT.

DangerousDuramax

Nov 3, 2006
Houston, Tx
If 600 is the number then that combination seems a waste of time to me. We all know of some stock engine guys running over 600 rwhp without failure but that's gambling. Seems there really is no budget setup that is worthwhile.

Exactly! Once you start doing the math and understand the limits, its makes no sense whatsoever to pull an engine out to build it for 700-800hp. To stay "budget" means to stay around 600-650 on stock internals. Once you open the engine up "budget" goes out the window and you should be shooting for at least 1000hp+. Tuning for 700-800 after dropping the money on a built motor is just a crazy waste of some serious parts and money.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Exactly! Once you start doing the math and understand the limits, its makes no sense whatsoever to pull an engine out to build it for 700-800hp. To stay "budget" means to stay around 600-650 on stock internals. Once you open the engine up "budget" goes out the window and you should be shooting for at least 1000hp+. Tuning for 700-800 after dropping the money on a built motor is just a crazy waste of some serious parts and money.

X2. I ran over 600 rwhp thru my stock LMM for 2 years before I sold it and it was still going strong last time I checked. Building one means your shooting for over 700 and that's going to require rods and Pistons...

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
How you drive is the biggest variable IMHOP... I have watched some of the guys and gals on here destroy the absolute best of the best and have watched some budget builds do amazingly well as also.

Anyone that thinks you need more than 7-750hp on the street is crazy. My truck at 600 can be a handful and is worthless in 2wd at wot.

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
How you drive is the biggest variable IMHOP... I have watched some of the guys and gals on here destroy the absolute best of the best and have watched some budget builds do amazingly well as also.

Anyone that thinks you need more than 7-750hp on the street is crazy. My truck at 600 can be a handful and is worthless in 2wd at wot.

Very true statements here guys!^
There's no need for more then 600hp on a daily driven truck. It's a waste of time and money just to be the fastest between stop lights. I had an 8-900hp truck and it's totally unnecessary unless you are camped out at the drag strip every weekend with it.

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
Very true statements here guys!^
There's no need for more then 600hp on a daily driven truck. It's a waste of time and money just to be the fastest between stop lights. I had an 8-900hp truck and it's totally unnecessary unless you are camped out at the drag strip every weekend with it.

You guys need to stop raining on my daily driven 900-1000hp dmax dream!:D I really don't need this negativity in my life, guess it's time to start an account on duramaxforum. :spit:

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
You guys need to stop raining on my daily driven 900-1000hp dmax dream!:D I really don't need this negativity in my life, guess it's time to start an account on duramaxforum. :spit:

:Ditto: I have driven my truck 32k this year. most of which was on a 650hp tune. the last 3 months and 3500 miles have been at 715hp and now im bored. time for a 1000hp dd :D

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

:Ditto: I have driven my truck 32k this year. most of which was on a 650hp tune. the last 3 months and 3500 miles have been at 715hp and now im bored. time for a 1000hp dd :D

Make sure you start a carnage thread. I love broken parts when it's not mine:rofl:

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
When my dually decides to let go I have a set of LBZ rods and delipped LB7 pistons to go back in it. But for me I think im going on six years and close to 80,000 miles with my set up and still get a smile every time I lay into it or hook up to a trailer. I have been very impressed with my simple set up and how long it has lasted for me. I will say though in my mind there is no reason to dump a stupid amount of money into this now old truck being so big and heavy and my DD/towing vehical I have other projects that I do that with.
As far as if you going to tear it down you might as well build it right there are many ways of doing it right it all depends on what the goals are for the end user of the build. Thats just one of many opinions though.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Albert is exactly right. 700hp is too much for the street in most cases. Also to DD at that power obviously requires a built motor like stated.

Mark was joking with me about driving around on the big tune (1000 plus HP) saying I live dangerously like that lol.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You guys never cease to amaze me. Whatever happened to creative thinking around here? We only think "stock" now? WTF? :hehe:

Set of carillos, delip LB7 pistons, head studs and a set of valve springs would make for a strong 700hp base, with room to grow if you wanted.
Whats wrong with that?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
You guys never cease to amaze me. Whatever happened to creative thinking around here? We only think "stock" now? WTF? :hehe:

Set of carillos, delip LB7 pistons, head studs and a set of valve springs would make for a strong 700hp base, with room to grow if you wanted.
Whats wrong with that?
Agreed^^^

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa

Whats wrong with that?
With all the cool stuff wagler is making, it's either go big or go home.:rofl:It all come down to how much are you willing to wrench, the above list is what I would consider a minimum build. Other wise you might have to put another engine in ets. I put lbs rods in thinking that I could just swap out later when I made more power, but the cost to remechine everything is about half the cost of the rods, so what's the point.

DangerousDuramax

Nov 3, 2006
Houston, Tx

Whats wrong with that?

RIGHT!!! Back in the day if you came over here talking less than 1000+hp you'd get run outta this place. ;) Everyone is getting soft. :baby:

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
600 doesn't feel like too much at all on the street in a 8500# truck is all I can say..