Lb7 piston max hp?

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway
I have read a little.
They say that lb7 piston handle mostad hp/tourqe of orgin piston.
Some says that mahle produce them, but i don't know.
So the big question, a good set of lb7 piston, how much do they handle? I know that everything can break even at stock power, but have anybody tested the breaking point for these piston?

Sorry for many stupid question's on this forum, but i feel that this place is best for good answers..

Andre sorry for my bad english, i'm still an norwegian:)

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Depending on which rods turbo and tuning; maybe 600-700 hp

BTW
Your norwenglish is perfect:happy2:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
800 is pushing it. 700 is pretty safe. But as with anything it's a crap shoot and depends what day of the week they were made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Definitely de-lip them.... I agree 700 with good tuning is safe.

Anything beyond that is going to require very careful tuning, and luck....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Imho, it depends on how you are achieving the power. If you want 700hp with a single smaller turbo and driving the hell out of it with fuel, lb7 Pistons won't last even delipped and coated. If you want 700hp with more air than fuel and using injectors that won't have to carry a large pulse width to get that hp, 700 would. Be reliable, 800hp for a while.

I have 45k on my built motor and 206k on my delipped lb7 Pistons. They have not seen a tune lower than 600hp since the engine was built and used a race tune that would hit 750-800hp about 15-20 times since the build. Pulled the heads this past January and they had no signs of issues. This is going by the low pulse width, lots of air theory. My race tune does not follow that theory though but I also don't use it hardly.

I would have done fingers Pistons if I had to do it over again but I like to over build. Back then, fingers had just come out with them and there was very little outside data to back up his computer model that they would hold up.

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway
The plan is compound setup. It will be a budget build, turbo has arrived, a god old garrett tv7301. 45 over sac injectors will be ordered also. Rod's and crank i dont know what too use. Target is 750 on race tune, daily driver around 600.
Too keep the egt down i also plan on some manifolds and up pipes. Of course match the pedstall too the up pipes:) driveability is what i want:) too make it bullettproof i dont have money for. But a pretty fast daily driver is the target :)

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Didnt Buck spray his truck into the 10s? Stock pistons and TTS rods made around 900hp I thought.
I'm 99% sure Buck ran 10s with a stock engine at one point...

What "can" be done, and what "should" be done are often 2 very different things.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
They are not going to last. Single turbo and 45 overs lasted a fair amount. It was near 750 hp. Went 65000 mikes before one cracked. Unless you money to keep rebuilding spend it on something that will last up front.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If I were building a performance engine For daily use I would use one of two pistons. Fingers ovals or the new Diamond forged with steel rings lands

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
My truck went 10.5 at full weight with delipped LLY pistons. I would say horsepower was around 1100. Pistons came out in perfect condition. That being said, I did replace them with fingers cast ovals when the crank broke.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
TBH I would say stock LBZ rods, stock LB7 pistons, stock injectors, stock head bolds are about 700hp limit. Any thing more is a HUGE jump in cost.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
I can say with a certainty that my Carillo rods and Finger's pistons were the best $5K I've ever spent on the truck. I know the internals never get the glory since they are just in there quietly doing their job but the peace of mind sure is nice.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
Curious what everyone's opinions are regarding holding power of LBZ rods vs LB7 cut and coated pistons. I've heard 700 rwhp thrown around often. Of course that depends completely on what combination of parts is making that power. Is the general consensus that LBZ rods and LB7 cut and coated pistons will both "handle" roughly 700 rhwp with reasonable reliability?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Curious what everyone's opinions are regarding holding power of LBZ rods vs LB7 cut and coated pistons. I've heard 700 rwhp thrown around often. Of course that depends completely on what combination of parts is making that power. Is the general consensus that LBZ rods and LB7 cut and coated pistons will both "handle" roughly 700 rhwp with reasonable reliability?

I give the rods 600

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL

IMO, 700 with great tuning and they won't last long either. I would think 600, would be a good compromise between power and reliability.