Kennedy lift pumps

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Well i was out today logging some runs and watching my fuel pressure. The kennedy pump i have hold 11 PSI at idle. At WOT im down to around 1-2 PSI. Whats the next step? Should i move up to a fass system? is there any boost related pumps? need some ideas. Kennedy has a great setup but its just not giving me the volume i need anymore.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Well i was out today logging some runs and watching my fuel pressure. The kennedy pump i have hold 11 PSI at idle. At WOT im down to around 1-2 PSI. Whats the next step? Should i move up to a fass system? is there any boost related pumps? need some ideas. Kennedy has a great setup but its just not giving me the volume i need anymore.

I thought all you needed was positive pressure, or at least equal???

Sounds like its fine if its still forcing fuel. Hows the rail pressure?

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
I think your fine. If you really want to increas psi aeromotive makes a regulayor that increases psi to boost you just run a boost tube back to it. Ill never do this again it's a waste of money.

Attachments

• dmax 013.jpg
    dmax 013.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 107
  • dmax 008.jpg
    dmax 008.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 90

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
OK, I was out looking at it some more and it is barely holding any pressure. My guage is almost holding on zero. I know i dont need alot of fuel pressure but id like some postive pressure. Right now i have barely anything.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I think that Kennedy pumps are great for the normal guy that wants a pretty fast truck and doesn't want the noise. I do think that they are way too expensive for what you get but I wasn't a marketing major.

For the racing and high performance crowd, it's probably not a bad idea to go with something that flows a bit more fuel at a higher pressure. There have been documented cases where performance actually increased with an increase in fuel pressure. I think you would benefit from going with an Airdog or Fass, or even home-built setup like some of the others have done.

Note: Don't spend a ton on the home-built pump though. Most of the pumps you can buy at Jegs or Summit are not rated for diesel and will likely go bad over a shorter period of time, than a Fass or Airdog would. But you can still save a bit of money up front by going with a home brew setup.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I think that Kennedy pumps are great for the normal guy that wants a pretty fast truck and doesn't want the noise. I do think that they are way too expensive for what you get but I wasn't a marketing major.

For the racing and high performance crowd, it's probably not a bad idea to go with something that flows a bit more fuel at a higher pressure. There have been documented cases where performance actually increased with an increase in fuel pressure. I think you would benefit from going with an Airdog or Fass, or even home-built setup like some of the others have done.

Note: Don't spend a ton on the home-built pump though. Most of the pumps you can buy at Jegs or Summit are not rated for diesel and will likely go bad over a shorter period of time, than a Fass or Airdog would. But you can still save a bit of money up front by going with a home brew setup.

Im thinking about switching to the airdog setup. Something with alittle more PSI and something that will actually hold pressure. The more i watched today the kennedy setup was barely holding anything. I want a setup with extra filters on it.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
From what I hear, the AirDog seems to work well for people.

Have you thought about putting another KD on?
Maybe plumbed in parallel with the one you already have installed? I think this would work better than KD's twins that people run in series. Someday I am going to try it myself.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
From what I hear, the AirDog seems to work well for people.

Have you thought about putting another KD on?
Maybe plumbed in parallel with the one you already have installed? I think this would work better than KD's twins that people run in series. Someday I am going to try it myself.

I thought about it but then id have to make it boost refrenced some how. If i ran another id make 15+ PSI at idle and i dont think my FICM would be to happy.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I thought about it but then id have to make it boost refrenced some how. If i ran another id make 15+ PSI at idle and i dont think my FICM would be to happy.

I don't think you will make much more than 15psi. KD pumps ARE NOT positive displacement so it will only build so much pressure. 18psi is the highest I bet you would see if you dead headed the flow.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I don't think you will make much more than 15psi. KD pumps ARE NOT positive displacement so it will only build so much pressure. 18psi is the highest I bet you would see if you dead headed the flow.

I was just refenceing what i have now. I make 5 PSI on one, 11 PSI on two...i was just guessing id be over 15 PSI with a third.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Where are you checking your pressure? I have dual TTS pumps (same pump), and I only see about 6-7 psi after the filter at by the time I reach a boost pressure high enough to turn on the second pump. I see about 4 psi with just one pump on.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I see 4psi with one single measured in the same place.

If you already have a twin setup and you still dont have enough fuel, then it may be time to upgrade to a different pump.

Out of curiousity, are your KD's blue or black?

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
My Kennedy's are black with the extra filter. They worked great when i was running smaller tunes and before i had the bigger injectors.