How to stop the Smoke

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Does it haze at idle? And cruise, as well? I can tell you a smaller turbo won't fix that. It takes about 12k rail pressure to make 200s smoke free at idle (I mean smoke free like a stock truck) with ovals. Josh is correct, it's gonna take quite a bit of fine tuning to make the ovals run clean.

No joke. I gotta mess with mine some more. mines not terrible but when I jack the rail up it lopes due to the pilot injection being so big lol.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Just throwing it out there but being this is a rebuild have you checked to make sure there was no rags left in the intake take somewhere maybe plunging up the inter cooler or something else.
Some may laugh but it deff wouldn't be the first time it has happened.

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
It has 2 to3 lb of boost about 40 mph and it will pour smoke until 7 lb of boost is reached, than haze out to about 70. and I think it stops, I can't see if it's still hazing or not at that speed. I have had 3 tuners and it still smokes. Torque diesel has spent 6 hrs tuning and driving and still I got this. So I will go back to stock turbo and see if that fixes it if not I will sell the 60s and 68mm, if it still smokes. I will sell the 10mm pump also. It will stop smoking or the truck goes, before I will replace the fingers. Or I could just drop another 50000. and go truck pulling, in stock class of course.lol

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
He said he had mark tune it for the 60's then he swapped in 30's. Obviously the 60's were shot so I'd have mark retune for what your running now. He has the most expirence with them...

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I've blown the intercooler boot off does that count as a test. lol

I will call the tuner about the map. I'm thinking I may have to try a 64mm turbo to obtain a smoke free drivable truck, except in WOP.

Sorry to say but that doesn't count. Tuning trucks with Fingers pistons is not that difficult. It's just different. I have tuned a few. The problem will be a part or the tuning. You have to diagnose any possible culprits. Pressure test the system to make sure there isn't a place with a bad leak ( a friend found a lower intake with a very bad leak where the high torque silicon was not sealed up), run a compression test to see if all cylinders are up to par, look for rags that could have gotten into the Intercooler etc. Smoke from tuning will almost always be from too much timing in the wrong place. Do you hear any injection rattle when you floor the pedal or does it sound normal and quiet? With the size injectors you have and that turbo size I don't believe you are going to find those parts as being the problem. What does the Maf read at idle and Wot? There are so many potential items so you have to have answers to the little things to go in the right direction.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
It has 2 to3 lb of boost about 40 mph and it will pour smoke until 7 lb of boost is reached, than haze out to about 70. and I think it stops, I can't see if it's still hazing or not at that speed. I have had 3 tuners and it still smokes. Torque diesel has spent 6 hrs tuning and driving and still I got this. So I will go back to stock turbo and see if that fixes it if not I will sell the 60s and 68mm, if it still smokes. I will sell the 10mm pump also. It will stop smoking or the truck goes, before I will replace the fingers. Or I could just drop another 50000. and go truck pulling, in stock class of course.lol

Well, sounds like something mechanically wrong. Cam timing. Intake/Intercooler leak. Exhaust leak. Something like that. Maybe injectors. An odd ball was a bad fuel pressure sensor on one application.

From your description above, I'm thinking cam timing.

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
Question for you Fingers, does cam timing effect cylinder pressure on a diesel the same as a gas motor? For example, on a sbc you can advance the cam 4° and it will raise the cranking compression by 15-20 psi, sometimes even more.

If so, the cam timing being retarded, could explain why at 16.5 compression ratio he has only 350-360 psi.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Question for you Fingers, does cam timing effect cylinder pressure on a diesel the same as a gas motor? For example, on a sbc you can advance the cam 4° and it will raise the cranking compression by 15-20 psi, sometimes even more.

If so, the cam timing being retarded, could explain why at 16.5 compression ratio he has only 350-360 psi.

They still work on the same 4-cycle principles, but with the limited duration of a diesel cam compared to a N/A gasser I don't see it bleeding off compression that much unless it's off by A LOT.

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
Stock cam install with the cam dot installed between the two on the crank. I can run another compression check when I get back from the trip and see where it's at, It ought to be loosened up by now, 800 miles of testing it out at wop every time I can.
I will also run a pressure check to make sure the system is sealed.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
What you get for a compression reading depends greatly on the rig you use to take the reading. The biggest thing you get is cylinder to cylinder comparisons. If you're lucky, you can compare readings over time with the same rig.

16.5 actually produces over 600 PSI in the chamber, but the volume of the testing rig increases the effective volume of the chamber and thus the observed pressure.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA

Yes, but how much depends on the cam. The hotter the cam, the more critical the cam timing.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
It does effect it but overlap plays a huge role. That's why the bigger duration cams don't spool well and have a lot more smoke than they need for street use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
So, send the 60s off and have them checked out, reinstall them with the 68mm turbo, Who do I take it to for clean no smoke tuning, that knows all the tricks that have been discussed on here. Oh and what does a 100 PSIA MAP Sensor do?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I would take it to Mark at Danville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
So there's a 1/8" pipe plug in the EGR delete pipe, press that up to 30 psi and look for leaks?
do I need to plug off the outlet side of the turbo?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Disconnect the pipe from the turbo and cobble an adapter to pressurize the intake system from the turbo through the intercooler to the manifold.