How to stop the Smoke

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
I just got the motor back in the truck and it smokes bad in any of the 5 positions, from starting off, to just cruising it smokes bad. Could I have left something unplugged? Before the hole in the piston it was fine with a sportmans cp3 and 30% overs, now with the motor back running it won't quit with the smoking. Balance rate's are -1.2 to + 4 on number 7 cyl. FRP is 6500 at idle and 29000 at wop. off idle at 1300 it's 12000. Can the ECM be bad and not sending the right signal?
New 16.5, .020 Fingers pistons, with .075 valve relief. new Carrillo rods, new Dan’s diesel 68mm turbo, used 60% over Exergy injectors, 1/2” fuel line feeding used 10mm Exergy CP3. Bored block .020, .037 head gaskets, balanced rotating assembly and added Fluidamper.
Drilled fuel rails, driver .125 and passenger .090.
Dan's 800hp Trans
I think that’s about it.
Tuned by Dan and smoked bad. Drove to Ash Flat and had Torque Diesel spend 4 hrs and it still smokes bad. Sent the ECM off to Danville and it smokes just as bad. Me and the truck need any help we can get. No codes

Last edited:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Check compression on #7, and then all down that side while your doing it.

If it's even, pull the injectors and have them tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
...used 60% over Exergy injectors...
Sorry to say this, but that is your problem. I put a set of used 100% Exergy injectors in (fresh from Exergy "cleaned and checked out good") and my truck did just like yours. Smoked all the time, no one could tune it out.

I switched to a set of S&S SAC-style 75% overs and it runs clean!

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Sorry to say this, but that is your problem. I put a set of used 100% Exergy injectors in (fresh from Exergy "cleaned and checked out good") and my truck did just like yours. Smoked all the time, no one could tune it out.

I switched to a set of S&S SAC-style 75% overs and it runs clean!

The only injectors I'll EVER buy will be from Lincoln diesel. Heard too many horror stories about other companies. I can say I never heard any from Lincoln.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Sounds like you got a bad injector. That can happen when lines get cracked open

Only the lb7 had that issue. None of the others used the injectors to seal the valve covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Only the lb7 had that issue. None of the others used the injectors to seal the valve covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the issue was inside the lines where it seals and you crack them open and crap built up and slip into the injector. Which is why you should clean them. Either way not sure what year truck he has cause no signature. The 29k rail pressure makes me think newer but could have a newer fpr in it. Either way still a bad injector most likely.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Oval bowl pistons run dirtier than standard pistons. It takes some different tuning to get it cleaned up, and even then it still isn't as clean as a standard round bowl piston.

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
2006 LBZ. Just changed the pass side 4 injectors back to my known no smoke 30% overs.
It's still smoking, maybe just wishful thinking but it seems to be cleaner than before on the heavy tow only. All other positions still looks like a kid with a cummins.lol

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
2006 LBZ. Just changed the pass side 4 injectors back to my known no smoke 30% overs.
It's still smoking, maybe just wishful thinking but it seems to be cleaner than before on the heavy tow only. All other positions still looks like a kid with a cummins.lol

I think he means he has tried both and it smokes either way

Sounds to me like he only swapped one side

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
I only drove around the block with the 30's on one side then came back and put the 30's on the other side. Drove around the block again and it wasn't as bad but would still leave a big cloud taking off and then clean up on cruising with just a haze. Was going on a 250 mile trip and got about a 1/2 mile from house and looked down to 0 oil pressure, pulled over, had oil, drove it back couldn't find wires loose, oil temp was ok. Left it and took the Yukon will work on it Saturday. I worked on the drivers side last, I think it's probably the plug in needs cleaning, I hope.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Running with different sized injectors is a good way to screw a crank up. Even if only running it for a short time. Know somebody who had a set industrial 45 overs, well one ended up being a 60 over. He found it after w snapped cranks. Figured the 1st one was bad luck, come the 2nd one he knew something was up.

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
Installed the oil pressure sender and it's hung on 110psi. Drove it 65 miles to Torque Diesel, had him do a retune for the 30's and while tuning the oil pressure started working but is crazy, he said it could be the pigtail on the sender. It smokes but it's drivable. I guess drive at night and I won't see the smoke. lol

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Its got to be something simple that we're overlooking, mainly b/c we arent there to see it in person.