How to stop the Smoke

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
Before I overhauled it, 30 overs, sportsman pump, stock turbo and it ran fine, with on smoke except in #5. Dyno day laid down 578. Hole in piston so in overhaul I changed to, fingers pistons, 68mm turbo, 10mm pump, suppose to put out 700 with no smoke while DD. I have a lot of wire connectors that don't have a home now. I drilled out the driver side fuel rail to 125 and pass .090. made up a 5/16 fuel return line and added a1/2" inlet to the pump.
Now on another note, it's nothing but hills and valleys down here in North Ar. but even when pulling off from a red light if you go half pedal it will put out a cloud. I'm running a Fass system, I will change the fuel filter tomorrow to see if that changes anything.
Everybody keep thinking.
Thanks for the help.
Joe

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
The tuner drives the truck after each change, and it still smokes, but not when cruising at 60 and above, just going up hills and taking off. He thinks it the fingers, causing it. But why so much smoke all the time with the 60s.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
So Mark tuned it in person, you went for a drive and it still smoked beyond your personal limit and he didn't change the tune any more? Either that turbo spools extremely slow or all your injectors are junk, I doubt the oval bowls are causing all your problems.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I'm sure Mark had an explanation for the smoke. What did he say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
No, Mark did not drive the truck with the 60s I sent him the ECM and he put his tune in and shipped it back. When it didn't change anything we talked and he said he needed to have the truck out at his shop to look at it, and at this time thats not possible. I took the truck back to Torque Diesel after changeing the injectors back to the 30s. He was able to get it to where it don't smoke at 70 as long as you don't hammer it or stop and take off.
What would be max boost on the 68mm turbo, at WOP I only get 38 and still have smoke coming out in #5 I thought it should be in the 40s?

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Just thinking to myself. If I were you, and was able to do my own tuning, I would stretch the pilot timing out to 25* or so BTDC. I'd back the main timing down to 2.5-3*BTDC, and run 12kpsi minimum in cruising areas. With the pilot timing that far out you could use 40-45 %BTDC for cruising and part throttle areas. Might help clean it up getting the spray into the oval bowls a bit better. Obviously the higher fuel pressure helps larger injectors but the big help is spray penetration for the pilot.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You need to take the truck to Mark and let him tune it. I'm 75% sure it is the pistons causing it, but someone who is experienced tuning oval bowls (like Mark) should be able to get the smoke to an acceptable level.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
You need to take the truck to Mark and let him tune it. I'm 75% sure it is the pistons causing it, but someone who is experienced tuning oval bowls (like Mark) should be able to get the smoke to an acceptable level.

I said it earlier in the thread but Mark tunes my truck(via email) with ovals and bigger injectors and I have no issues with smoke.....

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I have ovals and 400% overs and I can get mine pretty clean if I want to. if I lay into it hard it, it will smoke hard but clean up completely. at 70 on the freeway it has a little haze but not bad. I messed with my MAF signal to make mine spool up. I wonder if someone is overlooking that table?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I said it earlier in the thread but Mark tunes my truck(via email) with ovals and bigger injectors and I have no issues with smoke.....

And I said it earlier that those oval bowl pistons run dirty. Not all trucks are the same and not everyone has the same acceptability of smoke. I'm not calling you a liar, but one person's "no smoke" isn't the same as the next. I've seen trucks that a person says "doesn't really smoke", and I think it's very dirty. All I know is every truck I've been around that has oval bowls runs quite a bit dirtier than the same truck with round bowls, and it sometimes takes somewhat unconventional tuning to clean it up. I may not have the experience with the oval bowls that some on here have, but I have seen enough to know they're a different animal. I'm just pointing at something I know can cause smoke rather than something I think might cause smoke.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Have you pressure tested the system? Turbo, Intercooler and all? You have to make sure there are not any leaks? Sound like you may have a few possible things causing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardiac

Jul 19, 2014
Jeff City, MO.
I've blown the intercooler boot off does that count as a test. lol
I will call the tuner about the map. I'm thinking I may have to try a 64mm turbo to obtain a smoke free drivable truck, except in WOP.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Does it haze at idle? And cruise, as well? I can tell you a smaller turbo won't fix that. It takes about 12k rail pressure to make 200s smoke free at idle (I mean smoke free like a stock truck) with ovals. Josh is correct, it's gonna take quite a bit of fine tuning to make the ovals run clean.