Grand Tracker continual build

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Some of you know about this build I've had going on since April of 2015. Figured I'd post it up here like i do most my other projects lol.

Started out as a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara I bought wrecked for 700 bucks and a clean title.

46c83d9fb4427c521390bda903c1cd5b.jpg

I worked on this thing for 3 straight weeks in the garage, all weekend and every day after work. I had this vision of what I wanted and was damn determined to get it done.

Had to weld in a new core support, new radiator, fan and clutch, condenser, lights, fender, grill, hood, windshield and I converted it to a Chevy tracker. She needed a host of little things along with what I fixed.

The plan was to make 33s fit and not cut into the firewall. So I cut the front of the frame off, moved it forward 4" and down 4.5". Redid engine mounts, lengthen drive shaft, changed rad mounts up, and tweaked some things to make it all work. This allowed me to get the lift I needed, clearance and still keep cv axle angle and suspension angle nice and stock. Needless to say, there isn't shit for aftermarket support for second gen Suzuki's. Rear I just made a set of 3.5" spring spacers with some grand Cherokee shocks. Added a set of 31s I got for a deal and threw a spartan locker in the back, added 4.24 tcase gears and did a 200mile trail ride 2 days after finishing it

4ae0dec08431a46e8a76fbfddc35b156.jpg

203d28d9aca5ab24ba871eb02540f38c.jpg

Man was the v6 power and auto Trans awesome compared to the samurai on the road.

But I wasn't done. Had the fender and hood painted, put the outer flare back on the rf, picked up a set of new 15" wheels and got a used set of 33" mtr's to put on. Then built a set of rock rails for the rockers, cut out the bottom spring retainer for the rear spring and shrank it down so I could use 2.5 ID eibach springs. The Suzuki world is so far behind in proper suspension setup it's retarded. They like to up the rear spring rate and lengthen the spring so you get a stiff ride. Not what I wanted. BUT a set of 175 lbs eibach springs, 3" longer than stock worked out perfect. The grand Cherokee shocks actually match really nicely with the spring setup too. Then to keep the rear tires from smashing the body at full bump, I cut the rear fenders 1.5" higher and rewelded it back up.

Front end got a strut swap as well. I converted the struts to ones off the rear of a 95 Pontiac grand am, used some strut mount spacers differently than their intended use and redrilled the strut mount holes to bolt to the spindle. After some work, the spacers allow me to have accurate amount of up travel and leave 1/2" of strut travel left after the lca bump stop is fully compressed and I get more down travel then stock. I went from 6" of wheel travel to a total of 10" now. This was a lot cheaper than buying old man emu front strut setup that gave me the same setup.

Now the front diff needed attention and I wanted to regear. Stock is 4.88 but you can find 5.13 gears for these pretty cheap. So a set of those went in the rear and the front got a steel housing (they come aluminum), steel third member, samurai ring gear carrier so I have 4 point cross pins instead of 2 point, samurai locker, and ditched the stock air actuated spider gears. Outer hubs come as drive flanges but again, samurai front manual locking hubs will bolt right on without mods so on those went. Basically, the is as built as I can build it besides cv axles.

How she looked after all that work
02c9395f3b564601ff44918ef21a16d2.jpg

b0ef8e45a9070868d517a4a44c8828f2.jpg

I added a steel front bumper and warn 8000 winch with syn rope. Steel front skid plate and wound up swapping tires to a new set of KO2s cause the mtr's were too loud for me and out of balance. After all, I daily drive this thing.

3c99b9d6e8b31ccdf5142cd4308d4db8.jpg

So that pretty much brings it to our current state.

So far I've snapped 3 front axles, twisted 3 rear axles cause I had a bad habit of power sliding in the rain lol, and torn a Trans mount. The suspension works so much better off road than I could have imagined. I have done a few rides with rzrs that don't exactly go slow. Hell my baby girl was 3 month old and we did a 60 mile desert ride with her in there and rzrs leading. We were by no means found slow lol.

BUT, it's time for more improvements cause again, I can't leave shit alone.

Right now I have a ford 8.8 axle out of a 2001 f150 to go under the rear. It's getting 5.13 gears, Spartan locker, and a rebuild. I'm switching from the parallel 4 link setup to a 3 link with pan hard bar and trying to decide on running the shocks on a trailing arm setup or on the axle. What will dictate it is how much room I have to place the shock in the the body and keep it out of the rear seats. Plan is to get 16" of wheel travel out of the rear. I have a set of 14" 2.0 coilovers for the rear and 2.0 4" hydraulic bump stops. This is the next phase starting asap.

Next the front will get a strip down and rebuild. Keeping the stock diff but swapping the cv axles to Toyota t100 axles, building custom lower arms and extending them 3" both sides, building an uca, heimed steering, coilovers and hydraulic bump stops. Goal there is 15" of wheel travel.

Then finally, it's turbo time for the 2.5 v6 cause frankly, I miss boost when I daily it. I already have an AEM FIC 6 coming for it that I will hook up and get dialed in initially so I'm ready to turbo down the road. There isn't a way to put a stand alone in here and keep obd2 nor can you read out or flash these computers. This will also allow me to lean out boost when cruising unlike the samurai where it would run rich there and kill mpg. That was my biggest gripe.

b79ff691e96356aca38730cff228353f.jpg

344d1206230888364af9f2da4c15a747.jpg

d2ccf252d367aeea8ff3779034a4efc5.jpg

So yeah, I'll keep this updated as I go. Goal is to have a rig that can't still rock crawl but I can go down to Baja and run it with rzrs or run the desert up here in comfort and the a/c crankin. Plus make those ever so fun "whoosh" noises under the hood

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Shoulda seen my wife when I first brought it home. "Why the hell did you buy a grandma car". Just had to keep telling her to wait till its done lol.

Forgot to mention I'll be caging the interior as well.

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
picture.php
Sweet little rig bud.. I'm workin on my trail rig now. Sold my tracker n gotta Honda. Lol gotta add my lights n snorkel.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I've wanted one of those for a while, they hold there value very well apparently. I wouldn't go near that far with it but I do like them things for some reason. Looks good!

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
James I'm sure you know this but aren't the pickup 8.8s weaker than the explorer ones?

I know in jeep land you want a explorer axle over a ranger axle due to axle shaft size..

If you want the ford racing limited slip posi clutches I have a set that are brand new I never got installed in my grand Cherokee before I sold it. They are yours if you want them.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks jeremy! I had a 09 rzr 800s I built a cage for and built one for my brothers 08 reg rzr we turned into a S. Side by sides and versatile rigs that's for sure!!

ZF, I wouldn't say they hold that great of value. Least not out here. One with 150-200k can be had for 2500 on the high end. My buddy bought an 01 with 149k for 1600. There is the other version, XL7 which gets a 2.7 v6 and 5 speed auto but the back departure angle is absolutely horrible in them. Plus they just look too long to me lol.

I wish I could use an 03-05 GV though. Much nicer interior with them but they change the input shaft on the tcase to a different spline (ones the 99-02 manual Trans gv use) so I can't put 4.24 tcase gears in there. Oh well, if I smash the body up, I'll swap one of those on lol

Corbin, the full size f150 and bronco 8.8 is the same strength as the exploder 8.8. They both use 31 spline axles. Difference is the f150 uses 5 on 5.5 lug patters (same as my tracker) and it's much wider than the exploder. The exploder 8.8 is 5 on 4.5 and too narrow to work for my rig. By the time I widen the front, the rear axle width will match the front. No need for the limited slip though, I'm putting a spartan locker in the open carrier. Limited slip don't work so well in the rocks lol

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Yea I re read you were widening the front so I assumed that and bolt pattern is why you were using the 150 axle..

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So back in early June i swapped out my honda 3.0 engine out of my sand car for a honda 3.2 that came with a turbo kit. it was all at a price i couldnt pass up. didnt plan on running the turbo kit as it would push the hp beyond what i felt my built 091 could handle so i listed it forsale a week ago.

come to find out after doing some calculations looking at ranges of what CFM would be needed to get my tracker to make 250ish hp and 10psi, the turbo i have for the sand car kit is the one i need. i have a strong feeling that turbo and wastegate will get robbed from the kit to use here :roflmao:. means i just need a blow off valve, intercooler, piping and off i go. jesus i have a long list of parts to put on this thing, time to get to work on it i guess :D

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Set of stock supra injectors on order with clips. these are the smaller of the ones that supras came with but at 310cc, its plenty for the 250 crank hp im after. turbo and wastegate wound up selling with my turbo kit but ill pick another one up down the road. my main thing is getting the bigger injectors dialed with the AEM computer before i start throwing boost at it. will make the tuning for boost alot easier since the vac to atmospheric pressure will be taken care of

i tell you what, you cant find shit on these suzuki injectors. took alot of time comparing pictures of different style injectors looked like, how they mount and low or high impedance. the part number on the suzuki injector doesnt bring up crap. i only found one little blurb on ebay that the stockers might be 240cc/min. In the end, i know they are Denso injectors, high impedance, and top feed. i originally wanted 440cc injectors but i honestly dont plan on pushing the rig past 10psi. im afraid the stock bottom end wont handle it and there isnt exactly much out there for pistons or rods lol.

also found that the stock injectors are sequentially fired and not batch fired like i originally thought which is a plus!

so if the injectors come in by the weekend, i may throw the computer in, injectors in and my wide band on. then start some tuning. wish she had a knock sensor though...

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
What you need is another set of stock rods, cut the big and small ends off, then weld the center beam to the rods going back in the engine. Might need to rebalance everything