Grand Tracker continual build

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wired up the AEM FIC this weekend. Wasnt as bad as i figured it would be. had to ohm a few wires to make sure i was connecting to the right ones and suzuki decided to do some weird things with the cam and crank sensor that most MFG dont do (go figure) but nothing a good set of wiring schematics and a little trial/error/googling couldnt fix.

Also drilled an 1/8" npt into the intake manifold and used 5/16" hose barb and hose ran to the cab and reduced down to 1/8" stuff for the MAP sensor on the FIC. i went large as some people had issues with running 1/8" stuff that far away from the manifold to the FIC and it causing bad readings. not really sure it would have affected me that much but the 5/16" line lets me tap into it for an FMU down the road if i want.

Mounted the FIC under the stock computer. i was worried about someone kicking up and breaking the plastic MAP connector off so i angled it back far as i could. there is absolutely no space anywhere else on the passenger side to mount it unless i put it in the glove box which i didnt want OR put it under the hood which would have ment wiring everything from the engine bay (didnt like that idea). this worked out pretty clean

At this point, i dont have the wiring hooked to the FIC and have the jumper they send with installed (more on that later). the bundle of wires off the side are extra wires not needed for my setup. i have not cut them yet as im not 100% sure i have everything wired correctly to make the tuning work. i have no check engine light or codes but that doesnt mean its all working right.

(most time consuming part here. cut, soldier, heat shrink and repeat.)

(bundle of extra wires)

(jumper)

So once everything was hooked up how i though it should be, i started the rig and she fired right up..... then she threw a check engine light. Light was for the crank sensor. The sensor has 3 wires coming off it and based on AEM and google, that means its a hall effect sensor. well when i was searching for the "5v signal wire" to the CKP, i couldnt find any voltage. looking at the wiring diagram, two wires come out of the ECM direct to the sensor and the third goes to ground. Started thinking about it and looking at the wiring diagram... the ground wire also encompasses the shielding wire that goes around the O2 sensor wiring. if you take that wire out of the equation, all signs point to the CKP as a magnetic sensor. interesting considering the CMP is hall effect. So i rewire the CKP for a magnetic pick up and bye bye check engine light.

Take her out on her first test drive and notice im getting a hesitation at about 3k rpm and starts cutting out at 4500ish rpm. kinda looked over the tune but im still trying to understand how the tables coincide with one another and its not making much sense at that point in time. Plus its hot out (2 in the afternoon on sunday) and im over it. So plug the jumper in and shes back to running good.

I have a better grasp of how its all setup now so ill try some thing when i get time. I did find a "resistor mod" guys do on the mag pickups for crank signal to clean up the incoming voltage. i guess the FIC is sensitive enough that if the incoming signal is not clean, it will think the vehicle is adding/removing timing and it will adjust for it.

some of the tables i get to play with

extremely simple compared to tuning with EFI Live. reminds me of cummins UDC tuning :roflmao:. even has an onboard logging setup. only issue is ill have to build conversion tables in excel to convert the logged excel data into a graph i can relate to.

its definitely interesting how it works tweaks stock tables with lots of adjustability. biggest thing is figuring out how each table is receiving its data and setting it up accordingly, then plugging in numbers to the tables is the easy part. only thing i cant do is ADD timing, you can take it away for boost conditions but i was hoping to add timing to increase mpg and power some while N/A. i have found a few guys that have tricked the stock computer using the FIC to add timing but ill have to see if i can set my tables up to do that.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well tracker is now running on FIC tuning!

Couple nights ago i ran around and grabbed some resistors. got home and tired different resistors on the crank sensor to "clean up the signal" as everyone claims they do. noticed no difference. completely disconnected the crank sensor, made things worse. only tapped the "crank in" signal to the stock crank wire, back to where it was. took some logs to see what was going on. Seems every time i get into 65% throttle or more, the map sensor voltage starts changing (not via the fic, something esle is causing it) and the engine load percentage jumps around from 11 to 15%, wont stay consistent.

So gave AEM a call today to pick their brains. they suggested i flash in the z110 file, im currently running the z107 file. These are like different OS's for our trucks, best i understand. the 110 file is ment for a sequential injection like i have, not like the internet said for the 107 file (f**kers lied again.... damn internet). flashed in the z110 file before heading out for lunch yesterday and she runs just like stock! just have to rewire the crank sensor back up like it originally was, then verify that if i pull timing in the FIC, it will actually make the timing drop in the tracker.

im sooooooo gunna blow sh!t up :roflmao:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I advanced base timing 7* last night and had the AEM computer pull back 7* so the tracker ran like stock. i then started slowly adding timing to see if i could get a ping or knock from it. im still on 87 octane as well. started out 1* at a time and decided to stop at 4* added over all cause i still heard no pinging but i want to check the plugs for signs of it before i add more.

this made a huge difference down low in the rpm range (as it should) and still carried more power up higher in the RPM based on the butt dyno. last night i couldnt really tell if there was much difference but driving into work today, i could tell very easily as the throttle is touchier, gets up to speed way quicker, and holds 4th better. Wide band goes in next so i can play with fueling. suzuki left alot on the table for this little engine.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
figured id update this a bit to anyone curious. i have added 7* total timing to WOT with 0 sign of detonation on the plugs and nothing you can hear. im also running 91 full time. i then added that same 7* to my typical throttle acceleration area and about 5* overall on the map. HUGE difference in torque increase from the bottom end and holds 4th gear in cruise up most overpass inclines (never would before, in fact, you had to have a 0 wind day to hold 4th gear in cruise).

I also had a chance to line up again my buddies GV. his is damn near exactly the same as mine but on stock 4.88 gears and 31s (im on 5.13s and 33s). he was by him self, i had me and the wife in the rig. easily pulled away from him no matter how he tried to beat me lol. one of the worlds slowest drag races but showed this thing picked up considerable power.

Now i sold my boxed in style bumper to my buddy as well and decided on a prerunner style bumper with the winch hidden behind it. fits my preferences better and will match the long travel im building for it.

Where im at so far after two days after work

Its about 80% there. I still have more tube to add to the single out rigging tubes to tie it back into the frame, plating and filling in a few areas of where the bumper attaches to the frame, skid plate, make the top hoop land right on top of the vertical bumper tubes (you can see its about 1" too far out on each side), brace up the winch plate more, fully weld it and then paint it. it will also has a few areas of attachment when i do the engine cage eventually.

and just cause i want to rub it in, that rust is just surface rust. those tubes sat outside in the elements since march of this year :roflmao: :D

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
We had a couple of those GV at work a few years ago. They were great little SUVs for the money. Pretty cool there's tuning available for them. :woott:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
We had a couple of those GV at work a few years ago. They were great little SUVs for the money. Pretty cool there's tuning available for them. :woott:

Lol there isn't. I had to wire in a piggy back computer to trick the ecm. And then I had to trick the piggy back computer so I could add timing, it only lets you reduce timing in anticipation of boost

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
finished bumper with light bar off the truck installed and everything in place

also added an alarm system and remote start to her last night. put a proximity sensor on it that i set at night. i have more lights im adding and i dont feel like having them walk off. if you walk into the "field" it produces, it will chip at you and if you dont move out of it, it will go off. Something ive wanted to add to the truck as well but with it being garage kept now, its not been a high priority

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Built the rear bumper over the last couple of days. Waiting on my wheel to come in to build the tire carrier.

When I cut the rear crossmember out to put tube in, I found the gas tank had brackets that mounted to it from bottom and top. This made me realize I could raise the gas tank 2.5" up from stock. That's great since the damn thing hangs so low lol. Overall I like how it came out and is pretty damn strong

Parts cut out and empty void under there
169958b387eb736b348d63b319d2f8c7.jpg

85430c54b80c4a7823f30f9f3ba6b38e.jpg

Starting to take shape
28e1f48ce3bec73d602b4a66120ba9e4.jpg

cadc5593f347199233adfb65db031001.jpg

542e011a2a7e5868888ba66d9537b6ee.jpg

fddf54cd5130b419a50473bcd1ccca6f.jpg

Fully welded and painted, working on the step plate next

4c372607b86e19ec172581f7cabb73cb.jpg

And dimple died, welded on and all repainted

ff9a9f468f120a4d5e9315f2b5dc9d0a.jpg

3fec8613cf4a66ece94e67e8807e8cb9.jpg

a0e22829b1502dc78272fd404f47a387.jpg

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yup, I do all the bending with a protools bender of mine. It's a manual one that at some point I'll converter to air over hydraulic. There is pretty much a full fab shop in my garage.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not in the southwest. Only time you see it is on those gawd awful old school tube ranch bumpers from the 80s

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Got the spare tire carrier done. Swings out with the rear door but the door does not carry the weight of the spare. Did this by creating a "swinger" to let the two pivots work when on different planes. Then added an old bearing out of a kx450 to support the bottom when closed. Sucker is rock solid. Very happy with how it came out. Now just need my wheel to come in so I can put the spare on. Been using one off the tracker for mock up.

Video of how it swings
http://youtu.be/UDfanpbLzMQ

And some pics
45476b800d19c8a52bb229597c663cf0.jpg

bcc5243920677d5af024b08c9f028ef8.jpg

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Been collecting parts for my front long travel setup. going to consist of a pair of Sway Away 2.5" 8" stroke coilovers, 2.0 4" fox hydraulic bump stops, and there will be space for a 3.0" bypass shock in the future. Using the suspension program i have, i came up with the best way i could for a 3" over kit and still get as much wheel travel as i can without making the geometry start doing weird things. right now, i plan to use the stock knuckle/hub. the snout is bigger than a D35 but smaller than a D44. should hold up to some abuse (which it already has lol).

biggest thing was trying to get scrub radius decent with stock spindles as well as keeping camber from going really negative at droop. It actually came out pretty decent. i could get better numbers with a custom knuckle but i want to see how far the stock one will last and most likely will do just fine with what i plan to do with it. i have 0 bump steer through the suspension travel accept the last 1" of droop where it goes a 1/8" toe out. Also made sure the inner CV joints go no more than a max of 24* at full droop or bump. right now, with proper shock placement, im getting 13.5" of wheel travel based on the rendering. i have a feeling i may be able to squeek an inch more out of it as i was being conservative with angles. I have room for more droop as the CV angle is my hindrance. I set it up to run 35s on 9" wide 3.75" back spaced wheels. i really dont want to run 35s as ill have to do alot of fender cutting to make them work at full bump but i built that option in for down the road. biggest thing is figuring out if im going to be grinding the hell out of my calipers to run 15"s with no wheel spacers up front or swap to 17"s. currently on the hunt for a set of Walker Evan 17" beadlocks :D

some pics for you all of the program
full droop

full bump

its a pretty damn accurate program. this is the same program i have used to see how the geometry has been done on certain lift kits and stock trucks for our HD's. Ive been meaning to upload the LML but have not had my dads truck long enough to get all the data needed. By no means is it like solidworks but it does all i need it to.

bumpstops and cans i picked up
c7a789717be9596c9e4c0e3de7c51c99.jpg

and i picked up a section of front frame from a friend to mock my suspension up on. this will be a good jig for shock placement and tower placement. just need to build the jigs for longer lower arms and a jig for the upper arm.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
James, I like the swinging hinge you made. Looks great and works even better. I am sure it will be copied many times in the future.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk