Gateing stock VGT

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I'd play with the vane tables (a lot) before going to the trouble of installing a waste gate.

TRUTH!

Don't do anything that you have said you want to do in this entire thread. If you really want to reduce drive pressure, have RDL hook you up with manifolds up's and a down. That's all I'd ever think of doing to a stock turbo, the rest would be like trying to get a house cat to plow a field.

You can tune the LLY vanes to dump full boost in a few seconds if you want to, also reducing drive pressure. The vanes tables are extremely powerful, when you figure out how they work.

If you still want a gate, get a real big turbo for half the money you would have in this project. Or call MPI and be done with it.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
TRUTH!

Don't do anything that you have said you want to do in this entire thread. If you really want to reduce drive pressure, have RDL hook you up with manifolds up's and a down. That's all I'd ever think of doing to a stock turbo, the rest would be like trying to get a house cat to plow a field.

You can tune the LLY vanes to dump full boost in a few seconds if you want to, also reducing drive pressure. The vanes tables are extremely powerful, when you figure out how they work.

If you still want a gate, get a real big turbo for half the money you would have in this project. Or call MPI and be done with it.

see this is what i dont understand..everyone keeps saying this as if walmart just started a sale on s300's...

this whole project would have me 5-700 in the whole tops and thats doing a lot more then the wastegates....i know no matter how much i polish a turd its still a turd but i'de rather have a clean turd then an empty wallet for the time being

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
the turbo and pedestal is one whole unit... i've seen a stock turboed truck get about 1.5:1 Talk to Larry about Drive Pressures with his stock LLY turbo he might be able to shed some light onto it

Nick I posted a log along time ago running a stock tune in my LLY

60 psi gauge is not enough:eek: 100 is almost too small on performance tunes. ( stock vane tables )

Play with the vanes it really does help:)

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
oh im sure it does and i will adjust those after i install a gauge but will it really help nearly as much as the other things i listed? i kinda have a hard time seeing it happen

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
If it was viable and cheap don't you think more people would have done it. If you are hell bent on doing it then do it. Quit getting defensive when people tell you it's not worth it.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
im not getting defensive..trust me ive been on forums long enough to know to not worry about what goes down over the internet. and im also not trying to tell anyone here that they are wrong and that my idea is great yada yada...i know this isn't going to make a huge difference and no im not hell bent on doing it. but what i haven't heard is what people think the benefit will be like of running a stock LLY charger with near 1:1 drive pressure...several people just say get a new charger...well yea duh i know that will solve the issue but my question is why WONT my idea help? not saying for a minute it will be as good or even close to an aftermarket unit but i think it will help nonetheless

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
kk ill PM larry and have him check out this thread..

1:5 isnt too bad im just scared of hitting 2:1+....im also thinking of porting the turbine housing, clipping the wheel, and maybe throwing in either LMM or finger vanes...

LMM vanes will NOT lower your drive pressure.....

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
LMM vanes will NOT lower your drive pressure.....

no? im by no means an expert on the subject but i was told they're shorter and would allow more exhaust gas to flow by...guess that wasn't true?

i was also considering some of fingers vanes....but im not sure on the cost-effectiveness of those either:confused:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Maybe retro fit a stock LB7 charger with an upgraded comp wheel ? And agree on the RDL goodies being a good idea , but not for those on a budget .

Last edited:

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Maybe retro fit a stock LB7 charger ? And agree on the RDL goodies being a good idea , but not for those on a budget .

eh ive ran the idea through my head but i don't really wanna do that..i mean i feel this LLY charger has much more to offer then a stock lb7...if only the pressure ratio issues can be worked out.

i agree on ricks pipes as well and would love to get a set and probably will in the future...but no matter how well those flow its still gonna be choked up in the turbine ya know?

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
the LBZ/LMM turbos have a tighter exhaust housing. They will build more boost with the vanes wide open than an LLY turbo will with the vanes open.

I dont know if LMM vanes will lower drive pressure if retrofitted into an LLY turbo or not....

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
the LBZ/LMM turbos have a tighter exhaust housing. They will build more boost with the vanes wide open than an LLY turbo will with the vanes open.

I dont know if LMM vanes will lower drive pressure if retrofitted into an LLY turbo or not....

i was told buy a builder that they're shorter and thinner and that would help in the larger housing of the LLY...having never seen the vanes in person i cant verify the legitimacy of that....but it does make sense if true

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
eh ive ran the idea through my head but i don't really wanna do that..i mean i feel this LLY charger has much more to offer then a stock lb7...if only the pressure ratio issues can be worked out.

i agree on ricks pipes as well and would love to get a set and probably will in the future...but no matter how well those flow its still gonna be choked up in the turbine ya know?

Maybe , but a bigger compressor wheel can be put in a stock Lb7 for pretty cheap , and it is bolt on and wast gated . I like new idea's and think its good to always have an open mind but sometimes the the route you know will work is the best followed .

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
I have no need for a DP guage anymore, it's 1:1 from 10psi to 45psi.

yea but i remember seeing what that gauge did hooked to the stock charer:eek:

Maybe , but a bigger compressor wheel can be put in a stock Lb7 for pretty cheap , and it is bolt on and wast gated . I like new idea's and think its good to always have an open mind but sometimes the the route you know will work is the best followed .

i agree trent i like new ideas as well...and yea a stock lb7 with new wheel would work nicely...but i would still rather make my LLY work..just easier and plus its cool to explore something new as well.