Gateing stock VGT

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
ok before people jump all over me yes i do have a general understanding of turbos and how they work...yes im aware that there is no need for such a thing on a VGT. however im thinking it may be a great way to dump some excess drive pressure the LLY's have been known for....i got the idea from trent i read it in an unrelated thread and it got me thinking....has anyone tried this? whats your thoughts?

also thinking on maybe having the exhaust housing ported and polished and the turbine wheel clipped....

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Probably not necessary (especially on an LLY) unless you are running the stock in a compound setup with a large primary or you are spraying a bunch of nitrous.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
well i dont have a drive pressure gauge yet but going off others experiences it could be 2:1 or even worse at 33-34psi...wouldn't there be a performance and probably longevity gain if i could get that down closer to 1:1?

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
ok before people jump all over me yes i do have a general understanding of turbos and how they work...yes im aware that there is no need for such a thing on a VGT. however im thinking it may be a great way to dump some excess drive pressure the LLY's have been known for....i got the idea from trent i read it in an unrelated thread and it got me thinking....has anyone tried this? whats your thoughts?

also thinking on maybe having the exhaust housing ported and polished and the turbine wheel clipped....

don't waste your time... if you want a gated turbo go with an S366

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
yea thats the only place i could think of i guess you would have to run matching ones in each pipe...i asked rick lance about it but he said you couldn't use the pedestal....

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
the problem is how to gate both pipes equally.

Its easy to just gate the passenger side, you can use a stock EGR up-pipe and attach a gate onto that flange, but how do you do the driver side. Not much room.....

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
the problem is how to gate both pipes equally.

Its easy to just gate the passenger side, you can use a stock EGR up-pipe and attach a gate onto that flange, but how do you do the driver side. Not much room.....

wel i didnt look at it long and hard but i do remember when i did my egt probe (had to use the diver side) tat there seems to be a bit of room right after that nasty up turn on the pipe just behind the manifold.... doesn't have to be exactly even either its not like both sides flow the same from the factory

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
thats what i originally though...but rick told me you cannot change the pedestal..

iduuno i've never really checked one out in person

the turbo and pedestal is one whole unit... i've seen a stock turboed truck get about 1.5:1 Talk to Larry about Drive Pressures with his stock LLY turbo he might be able to shed some light onto it

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
kk ill PM larry and have him check out this thread..

1:5 isnt too bad im just scared of hitting 2:1+....im also thinking of porting the turbine housing, clipping the wheel, and maybe throwing in either LMM or finger vanes...

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006

1:5 isnt too bad im just scared of hitting 2:1+....im also thinking of porting the turbine housing, clipping the wheel, and maybe throwing in either LMM or finger vanes...

instead of doing all that work why not just upgrade to a bigger turbo? Seems more logical too me.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
instead of doing all that work why not just upgrade to a bigger turbo? Seems more logical too me.

i would like to trust me...but honestly my real goal would be to twin the truck with the stock charger and an s475 or 480. and the little things done to the stock charger will not only help it flow better for later but help me go just a little bit faster (if not take some stress off the motor) in the mean time...

the things i just talked about would cost in the area of 5-600bucks

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I'd play with the vane tables (a lot) before going to the trouble of installing a waste gate. As far as room on the uppipes, there isn't enough, the drivers side is way too tight to even attempt. Hook up a drive pressure gauge and see where your at before you start spending money :hug:

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
yea i need to get one....but honestly there's only so much reduction you can do with tuning i mean the vanes are just hella restrictive compared to a fixed geometry...i guess ill see how my DP looks then se how much the clipping and porting helps...however the time to add the gate/s would be while the turbo is out getting that done:(

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
It can be done but both up pipes would have to be modified with gate pipes / ports , a collector would have to be built and then plumed through a gate , alot of work for little gain imop . But it can be done