Frame distorsion.

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
The load applied to the frame of our trucks is sever during a sled pull, to say the least. When our truck's hook hard the motor's torque and traction of the front tires, when hanging weight, can do some ugly things.
Has anyone seen evidence of frame movement? I'm not talking about engine movement on the mounts.

We have seen it. The front of the truck, let's say, front fenders forward, can move to the right about 1.5 inches during a hard hook. You may not be seeing it, but it's there. We have fabricated a fix for the bulk of this issue.

We Made a Panhard bar (lack of a better description) for the front end.

Since we have been running it, movement has been minimized. The more times that the front frame rails move, under load, the weaker they get. The photo shows how the front drive shaft can come in contact with the shaft/nut of the shift selector on the tranny when the frame flexes. Theres a fairly big space between the two at rest. I'll post some photos for the fix we came up with. It's not a bid deal to correct, but something that is an issue.

On edit: To add to the post, ever wonder what the "Bunny Hop" is cause by at the drags?.........Might be happining there too.

Attachments

• IMG_1190.JPG
    IMG_1190.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Yikes, i didn't think it would be that bad! I was at my buddies house this weekend helping him jerk an old HUGE cottonwood tree out of his pond (prolly a 12' diameter trunk and 100' long half in the water)! I was chained to the tree and his F-350 chained to my front tow hook. We took a good number of slack chain runs at it too.

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
On edit: To add to the post, ever wonder what the "Bunny Hop" is cause by at the drags?.........Might be happining there too.

I am gonna add the (B & B :D) bar to Black. I think it may be preventative for me at this point but since we know it happens why not? I agree on the bunny hop theory, it is VERY possible

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
This topic was brought up the other day to me. After picking up my truck from the body shop, they informed me that my frame was bent, not from the wreck but from sled pulling. My frame is not tweaked in the front end like yours Steve but in the rear end. You can see it in the gap between my bed and cab. The gap gets larger the higher up.

Anyone else have this problem?

Steve or Todd, shoot me a pm on the B+B panhard bar, I am interested

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
interested to see the fix on this...

Travis, how long are your traction bars? where do they attach tot he frame? How do they attach to the frame? what is the frame shapped like where they attach?

Had a friend with a Dodge (I know... they aren't just alike and are actually a good bit weaker) that bent his frame due to short bars and they had welded the brackets to the frame and the frame was only C-channel instead of boxed where he attached. All of which lead to him bending his frame. You've probably seen the pics on CompD. The black EC Dually - member name is TeddyBear.

c-ya

BADDZL03

Piston Cracker
Mar 8, 2007
Indiantown FL
I have seen this same movement on my truck. The clearance between the front drive shaft and transmission have surely shortend. I usely can fit my hand in between the two but now I cannot. On my dad and brothers truck it still has clearance for my hand. Keeping the back in stiff with blocks it's got to bend somewhere.

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
Here's some photos of the fix we came up with.....No evidence of movement since installed. We pre-load the bar, Probably about 200 lbs (est)pull with the heims.
It's not a Panhard Bar, It's a B&B:D Bar

Attachments

• IMG_1601.JPG
    IMG_1601.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_1602.JPG
    IMG_1602.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1605.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1604.JPG
    IMG_1604.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 183

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
interested to see the fix on this...

Travis, how long are your traction bars? where do they attach tot he frame? How do they attach to the frame? what is the frame shapped like where they attach?

Had a friend with a Dodge (I know... they aren't just alike and are actually a good bit weaker) that bent his frame due to short bars and they had welded the brackets to the frame and the frame was only C-channel instead of boxed where he attached. All of which lead to him bending his frame. You've probably seen the pics on CompD. The black EC Dually - member name is TeddyBear.

c-ya

Mitch the bars are damn near 6ft long. They attach to the frame under the back of the front door. The brackets are welded to the frame and the frame is a c-channel, not boxed where it attaches

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
Mitch the bars are damn near 6ft long. They attach to the frame under the back of the front door. The brackets are welded to the frame and the frame is a c-channel, not boxed where it attaches

travis i would like to see where your frame is bending maybe if the bars are shortened and welded to the rise in the rear of the frame you wont have any issues. but if that is not an option get some heavy steel and lay a long piece on the inside lip of the frame while through bolting and welding it in place. also try boxing in that area to stiffen it up even more.