Engine Dyno Tuning

Nasty Girl

Apr 11, 2008
Nasty Girl will be hitting an engine dyno here in about 3-4 weeks. The new setup will be tuned on the dyno by Tony (Ridge Runner Diesel). We will be monitoring cylinder pressures as well at that time. I will post my data from the testing when we are finished. Time to learn whats really going on! ;) Might be an eye opener for some of us. :) This data IMHO will be priceless!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Keith, what hard parts did you change in the engine? Lower compression even more? Figure out a new H/G arrangement?

Did Tony come up with some new tunes for you to use, or just slightly modify the tune you were using?

Nasty Girl

Apr 11, 2008
Keith, what hard parts did you change in the engine? Lower compression even more? Figure out a new H/G arrangement?

Did Tony come up with some new tunes for you to use, or just slightly modify the tune you were using?

Compression was raised to 15.5 to 1 on this build. With the new forged pistons being able to handle more cylinder pressure. We now will be able to run a higher ratio. The truck will also be more streetable in winter conditions. At 14 to 1 the truck was pissed at anything below -10 C. :rofl:

As far as tuning is concerned we will be tuning on the engine dyno for a few days. We have all the injector flow data to help with tuning. And will be able to monitor the cylinder pressure at that time as well. We will have a baseline from Tony's old tunes to work with.

Nasty Girl

Apr 11, 2008
I beleive he was referring to the Fingers Cylinder Pressure testing setup.

Look forward to this new info Nasty!

Ahh right. I spoke to Jon about that a few months back, very cool kit! But as far as I know the ones supplying the dyno have the equipment on hand allready for CP testing.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I believe that Jon has the only cyl pressure setup for dmax's around, so Id bet they are using that.

Congrats on getting it done, Keith. Hope all goes well.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
good to see you back around Keith! Been wondering what you were up too with the truck... Good to hear its going well.

Hope its all ready for merchant's spring fling this year, you owe me a ride! :D

ben

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I believe that Jon has the only cyl pressure setup for dmax's around, so Id bet they are using that.

I've got one hooked up to blue based on off-the-shelf gadgets. If I ever get it "polished", I will write up how to build it at home.

But it appears the Jonathan setup will be cheaper. I use an Optrand sensor and they are not cheap.

I think for 99% of the tuners the "Fingers" kit will be the solution.

Last edited:

Nasty Girl

Apr 11, 2008

You are prolly right. I know Curtis talked to Jon about his kit awhile back.;)

Nasty Girl

Apr 11, 2008
good to see you back around Keith! Been wondering what you were up too with the truck... Good to hear its going well.

Hope its all ready for merchant's spring fling this year, you owe me a ride! :D

ben

Been staying off the boards lately, gettin REALLY tired of the BS on some of them!:rolleyes: As far as Spring Fling goes Nasty will not attend.

Not attending to many events actually this year. My plans are to take Nasty on a road trip pullin the trailer with the family and tour around the US west coast this summer. :) Might catch some of ya on the way.

The only event so far that I will be attending will be Hot Rod Magazines Drag Week in September. I will be entering in the Daily driven street class. Pretty cool event and alot of fun from what I hear! :cool:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Keith are they having to make a custom wire harness to run the Dmax on the engine dyno. I have access to an engine dyno at work but cant find any info of anyone ever getting a dmax to run on an engine dyno

Nasty Girl

Apr 11, 2008
Keith are they having to make a custom wire harness to run the Dmax on the engine dyno. I have access to an engine dyno at work but cant find any info of anyone ever getting a dmax to run on an engine dyno

Curtis and Tony have worked that out IIRC. ;)