Disappointing results in Tow Tune Edge CTS

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
EFI Live DSP 2 is just a flick of the switch. No need to even stop driving. Just take the foot off the throttle and flick the switch.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Psh only pussies lift off the pedal when switching tunes :D 600-800 like that :rofl:

I did it once at 3/4 throttle. Thought I broke something when the rpm dropped, went up, and the trans dropped 3 gears all at once lol! Haven't tried it since while on the skinny pedal.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I agree, EGR blocker plate, EFI live with a good tow tune and never pull that boat again without a EGT probe!!! Not only is it heavy but its like pulling a parachute down the road lol.

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
I get zero codes.

Maybe I ought to take care of the EGR thing. Unless codes are a requirement.

Don't forget, when I am using the factory tune, there is almost no smoke under the exact same conditions/hill. In case the tune is somehow opening up the EGR valve.

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
I agree, EGR blocker plate, EFI live with a good tow tune and never pull that boat again without a EGT probe!!! Not only is it heavy but its like pulling a parachute down the road lol.

I guess I'll look into an efi live. Second, I'll drill and install the pyro for the edge

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
Let me back up a little, only pull the boat on the stock setting until you have the probe installed.

Copy that.

I also wanted to clear up my symptoms too.

I get 20lbs of boost (edge monitor) going up the same hill with little to no smoke all factory, using tow/haul button. It is at 55-60 going up the hill with rpm's at 2500 or so.

All the smoke (and I mean ALOT OF SMOKE) is when I use Tow Tune.

Last edited:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I get zero codes.

Maybe I ought to take care of the EGR thing. Unless codes are a requirement.

Don't forget, when I am using the factory tune, there is almost no smoke under the exact same conditions/hill. In case the tune is somehow opening up the EGR valve.

It is. The edge is asking for more boost which causes the egr valve to pop open...

GeorgiaDieselGTO

Wants to drive his truck
May 12, 2010
Crossville
^this. Go ahead and put the blocker plate in. You will have a code, but will drive fine. To take care of that you will need a tune that will turn off the codes. I don't no if the edge does or not. Probably depends on which version you have. Or I guess an ol fingerstick would work :) cheers :)

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
Then I believe the next course of action is:

--the blocker plate and finger thingy to stop codes
--same day install pyro

I want to tell everyone here thank you and I will report my findings!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So if you have insufficient flow to the egr you get a Code-P0401. If you have too much I. E. valve opening when it shouldn't you get a P0402 excessive flow. He has neither code so why are you guys insisting it's the egr? I'm not saying he shouldn't block it and get a finger stick or efi tune but come on.
I believe he has another issue.

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
So if you have insufficient flow to the egr you get a Code-P0401. If you have too much I. E. valve opening when it shouldn't you get a P0402 excessive flow. He has neither code so why are you guys insisting it's the egr? I'm not saying he shouldn't block it and get a finger stick or efi tune but come on.
I believe he has another issue.

No codes

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Exactly.

FWIW I ran for a year EFI tuned making about 22-24psi boost with no blocker plate and the egr codes not turned off and never had an issue. As soon as I blocked it I popped a P0401.

If it was opening it enough to make it smoke quite badly I can't see how it wouldn't code P0402.