Disappointing results in Tow Tune Edge CTS

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
My dually coupled with my 8500lb boat using the tow tune is a disaster.

I pour so much gray smoke going up hills it's hard to see a car behind me! It's crazy. I went and pulled the same boat days later with the truck back to stock (no tune) and had almost no smoke. I do not have a pyromitor installed yet...

I called Edge and his response is maybe the boat is too heavy for the tune.

Guys, what the hell do I do when I add a 2500lb camper!

Balance rates are quite good. Only one at 1.1, all the rest under 1.0.
New fuel filter
New air filter

Really disappointed.

Tyler_LBZ

Feb 26, 2015
NC
Don't use the edge, leave it stock.

If your going to tune it get EFI Live with GOOD tuning and have a tow tune made for your truck.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Not to be the black sheep but I personally like edges tunes on many trucks. I still like the edge eco race.

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
The best tuners in the country are right here. Make a call.

I have to admit, I like the idea of having just two tunes really:
1. Mileage when not towing
2. Towing 8500lb boat & 3000lb camper

Can I keep the Edge for the visual and diagnostics? It's really pretty descent for that.

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
What model edge? more than likely not unless its just for monitoring

It's just the EDGE CTS, it's not the system with Attitude. So it's just a monitor.

Let me understand you guys, I would need a different box that would contain "custom tunes"?

What box and what kind of money are we talking?

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
What gear are you towing in when going up these hills?

Oops, my bad, I leave it in auto and I use the tow haul mode. Should/would going down in a manual gear fix my smoke issue?

A 26' cabin house aluminum boat and a 2000-3000 lb camper. Our hills here are no joke. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 48

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
Oops, my bad, I leave it in auto and I use the tow haul mode. Should/would going down in a manual gear fix my smoke issue?

A 26' cabin house aluminum boat and a 2000-3000 lb camper. Our hills here are no joke. :D

Yes, you want to run higher rpm's to keep the charger flowing air to match the amount of fuel/load.

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
It's just the EDGE CTS, it's not the system with Attitude. So it's just a monitor.

Let me understand you guys, I would need a different box that would contain "custom tunes"?

What box and what kind of money are we talking?

You talked about a tow tune in your first post. Who's tow tune are you running?

And yes, drop a gear when pulling hills

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
Edge has economy, tow, med and hi power. I never use anything but first two.

Im sure that the tranny is going down a gear because it keeps the rpm's at 3000 or so when doing 55-60mph up the hill. Honestly, unless I go down to 4th (of 6) I cannot imagine the rpm range isn't correct. Maybe I should go down to 4th.

What would an appropriate rpm range be, you think? What's too high?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You just need to stay on top of the turbo to keep power and egts in check. You definitely need an egt probe.

It must be an edge juice with attitude if it has power settings

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
A gray haze isn't terrible but black smoke is what you want to avoid. If you're running at 3000 rpm's, you're definitely in the right gear and not off the charger.

It is possible without a lift pump you could be draining your rail pressure on the tow tune and that could be the cause of the smoke. There could be a couple of other things going on as well such as a turbo issue but without gauges it's tough to tell. I'd consider adding a lift pump. Edge tuning isn't terrible and generally most don't have an issue. Is this a problem that just popped up and you have towed the boat fine before or is this an on going issue since the install of the Edge?

In my opinion, you need to purchase and run EFI tuning, and throw a boost and pyro gauge in the truck. If you don't want an A pillar gauge mount, there are overhead ones available also which is what I run. An Autocal from a reputable tuner from this site would be your best bet. One that is close to you would be optimal for seat in the truck tuning and logging. It sounds like a DSP 2 switch is all you would need. It's just a simple cheap toggle switch and two wires run into the ECM. The autocal just plugs in just like your edge and unplug once the tune is loaded.

Attachments

• mlgu440UgJLMbcohngtg2FQ.jpg
    mlgu440UgJLMbcohngtg2FQ.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 31
  • th (1).jpg
    th (1).jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 28

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
The Attitude model plugs in both obd2 AND engine harness. With the Attitude model, switching tunes are on the fly.

Mine only plugs into the obd2 port. So to change tunes you turn off the engine, upload, turn back on and it's tune is changed. ------- same tunes, cheaper unit.

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
A gray haze isn't terrible but black smoke is what you want to avoid. If you're running at 3000 rpm's, you're definitely in the right gear and not off the charger.

Just wondering though when was the last time you changed your fuel/air filters? It is also possible without a lift pump you could be draining your rail pressure on the tow tune and that could be the cause of the smoke. There could be a couple of other things going on as well such as a turbo issue but without gauges it's tough to tell.

In my opinion, you need to purchase and run EFI tuning, and throw a boost and pyro gauge in the truck. If you don't want an A pillar gauge mount, there are overhead ones available also which is what I run.

An Autocal from a reputable tuner from this site would be your best bet. One that is close to you would be optimal for seat in the truck tuning and logging. It sounds like a DSP 2 switch is all you would need. It's just a simple cheap toggle switch and two wires run into the ECM. The autocal just plugs in just like your edge and unplug once the tune is loaded.

Thank you for all that. I agree that drilling and setting up the pyro is super important. The boost seems to work fine on the EDGE CTS monitor already. It reports my boost at 20lbs when accending the hill at 3000 rpms or so.

Filters (air and fuel two days before second attemp on same hill)

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Sorry I edited my post. Just give it a quick re-read. I didn't realize you had the edge display so really just adding the pyro is all you need to do. You can still run it with the tuning set to stock with an EFI Live tune. Many use the Edge just for the gauges. 20 psi does sound a little low so I wonder if it is a fuel supply issue......