Cops....

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Nicest one I ever dealt with was an NHP officer. I got a phone call about a leak in house (read: mansion) that had just been finished 2 weeks prior. This place had all teak hardwood floors in it, water and hardwood don't mix. The call consisted of "we got a leak, need you there ASAP, haul ass"....so I did.

I blew past the officer, a motor no less, parked behind a bridge abutment running radar on traffic, somewhere north of 125 mph. Took him 4 miles to run me down. I saw him coming, knew it was for me, so I pulled over, dropped the windows and shut it down. He came up to me, no attitude at all and asked what the rush was. I explained it, I'm sure in about the same words and one breath of air, then apologized for being reckless. His words "one minute please", back to his bike, and I'm sitting there thinking, "crap, who am I gonna call to bail me out"....

He came back in less than 2 minutes, handed me a citation for 85 mph in a 70 zone, said "I got you on radar at 129 but this won't sting as bad. Slow it down, have a nice day, good luck with the leak" and I was off.

That incident was completely my fault, but he was still very cool about it. Dealt with a few others who accused me of shit I didn't do, and wrote citations for far more expensive stuff..

That incident sticks with me today..... Show respect, get respect. Wish it was always that easy.

Oh yeah, I caught the leak before any damage was done :D

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I agree about some being assholes and some being decent people. One late night I had just got home from wheeling with my '77. It has 4:56 gears and a granny low four speed. I was towing a small trailer so every time I would take off from a stop I would use low and rap the rpms up a bit. Local cop only HEARD me driving through town and wrote me an exhibition of speed ticket. I tried explaining about the low gearing and how I was speeding but he wouldn't listen and said take it up in court. I figured a noise ordinance ticket would have sufficed more as if the truck was quiet he never would have even known I was in town. Luckily our small town court system is a bit funky and I got it dropped to a 34 in a 30.

However one night last winter I was out teaching my gf how to drive in snow, along with doing a few occasional drifts and spins in the high school parking lot. My buddy gets a call from the town police officer on duty at the time (they were on good terms from a few previous run ins). The cop said he was informed there were cars screwing around and figured he would 'inform' us before he actually came to investigate. He also said if we were out 'screwing around' to go up north of town. We head up there and are met with his cruiser parked at an exit from an abandoned parking lot. All he said was "Whatever you do, don't follow my tire tracks..." then he proceeded to leave. We pull into the parking lot to see a bunch of tracks from the officer whipping the cruiser around :woott:

So I agree. There are power hungry d*%ks, innocent hard working professionals, and some that just are having a bad day.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
We also had some high school kids get their vehicle stuck trespassing on my parents property. Tore up our main road and part of our corn field. The cops didn't even show up, just said to tow the vehicle back to our house for a tow truck to pick up. However they DID show up when somehow that truck was found two miles down the road, stuck in a ditch, with all the lights on and a dead battery... :D

However another decent story; when I was younger I was out riding my dirt bike on my parents property, which is way out in the country. Our neighbor hated us kids out riding and finally walked up to the fence and started shooting a shotgun up in the air to try to 'scare' us away. I tell you what, you mention anything about a gun or shooting and we had five state patrols at our house within ten minutes.

Forever

This 1 time, at band camp
Jan 4, 2009
Utah
I agree about some being assholes and some being decent people. One late night I had just got home from wheeling with my '77. It has 4:56 gears and a granny low four speed. I was towing a small trailer so every time I would take off from a stop I would use low and rap the rpms up a bit. Local cop only HEARD me driving through town and wrote me an exhibition of speed ticket. I tried explaining about the low gearing and how I was speeding but he wouldn't listen and said take it up in court. I figured a noise ordinance ticket would have sufficed more as if the truck was quiet he never would have even known I was in town. Luckily our small town court system is a bit funky and I got it dropped to a 34 in a 30.

However one night last winter I was out teaching my gf how to drive in snow, along with doing a few occasional drifts and spins in the high school parking lot. My buddy gets a call from the town police officer on duty at the time (they were on good terms from a few previous run ins). The cop said he was informed there were cars screwing around and figured he would 'inform' us before he actually came to investigate. He also said if we were out 'screwing around' to go up north of town. We head up there and are met with his cruiser parked at an exit from an abandoned parking lot. All he said was "Whatever you do, don't follow my tire tracks..." then he proceeded to leave. We pull into the parking lot to see a bunch of tracks from the officer whipping the cruiser around :woott:

So I agree. There are power hungry d*%ks, innocent hard working professionals, and some that just are having a bad day.

Thats funny. I do the same shit with my girlfriend. Teach her how to drive in the snow without the consequences.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Its a good habit to do! She was deathly afraid of bad weather until that night. I made her feel how the abs works and how she can still control the car. Made her purposely lose control multiple times. After a night of that she drove amazingly. Well, for a girl :D

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Thats been for the most part my experiences like Wes. I've gotten more breaks then infractions and thats why I feel the way I do. Cops ,most of them anyway,are humans just like you and I and have and do make the same mistakes.
A few good ones,
I had a officer pull me over speeding 95 ish in a 55 pull me out for a field sobriety check (yes I was beyond the limit and take full responsibility for my stupidness not proud of it either) with a $75 dollar unreasonable speed speeding ticket! Shook his hand and thanked him after the lecture!

Had a MA state trooper reduce the speed from 89 in a 65 to 8? to lesson the fine.
Ditto with a CT state trooper on a rice rocket except it was 90+ in a 65.
Had a local cop shake his finger at me and yell at me from his town HD Police Special still to this day I don't know where he was sitting clocked me at 75 MPH in a 25 zone.
He was a friend of mine although! :D

Couple bad ones,

Had a local cop one town over ,older gent, I was traveling UP HILL :D south bound he was pulling out of a side street on the North bound side. I buzzed by him didn't pay attention to him and then in my rear view , with all guns blazing and I mean all guns sirens and all! Of course he sucks right in behind me and I pull into a parking lot off the roadway. He comes up and I'm baffled as to why he pulled me over. Ask me the speed limit I guess 45 he angrily says 35 and I have you doing 65! Long story short old guy was just very *****'ish showed no personality beyond *****. My wife and kid were out Christmas Tree Shopping so it was the holidays also. In addition not only did he give me a fricken ticket but no mail in but he made it a court appearance which is TOTALLY his discretion! What a bastard!

Same type of personalty this time in Vermont but he was a sheriff on the interstate young one and wrote me a ticket for 75 in a 55. No personalty what so ever except for *****'ish. This one ends funny tho
When he returns to give me back my papers plus the ticket he tells my daughter in the back seat that she should NOT wear her seatbelt under her arm. As I grab the shit I proceed to immediately push the up button on the window telling my daughter don't listen to what he said and I just pulled away leaving him standing there! :roflmao:

That shit was funny!

But I know there are some winners out there on ego trips. Give respect hope for the same in return,thats what I do. I did get pissed off in a couple DUI check points with the cops being so nosy and repetitive.