Cheating in work stock

derek06

Feb 6, 2012
massachusetts
Lately I've been noticing more and more trucks locally bending the rules or just plain ignoring them all together. This past weekend we had a big pull and was asked to help tech trucks in along with a few other people and I'll admit they are getting slick with ways to hide their weight in the front end. Anyone else having this issue in their club and if so how are the guys cheating there? so we can keep a eye out for it.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I though "sled pulling" was southern talk for "cheating" lol

Isnt that the name of the game in sled pulling? Build the truck to the hilt and tell no one?

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I know one thing for sure, mid-west/east coast guys (where pulling is big, not so much here out west) are the kind of people who will ask someone to race, and tell them that their truck is stock or has "a chip" when its a fully built everything. I hate people like that at events and car meets. Makes them come as a standoffish jerk. I like talking about mods and potential mods, not being all :secret: :secret:

derek06

Feb 6, 2012
massachusetts
Yes built it and tell no one within the rules but when there is not supposed to be weight any further forward then the bed and they are making trick brackets to bolt weights up behind the radiator and such that's a no go. Just figured I would see if anyone else would share things to look for when trucks go over the scale that's all.

I still put distance on the trucks who were cought cheating but allowed to pull for fun and I'm playing by the rules :D

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I know one thing for sure, mid-west/east coast guys (where pulling is big, not so much here out west) are the kind of people who will ask someone to race, and tell them that their truck is stock or has "a chip" when its a fully built everything. I hate people like that at events and car meets. Makes them come as a standoffish jerk. I like talking about mods and potential mods, not being all :secret: :secret:

I raced a friend of a friend's lml this weekend and that was his story to an extent. He kept saying how his truck was bone stock just exhaust and that was it. I told him I'd leave my 18' car hauler hooked to my truck to make it fair and he beat the sh** out of me from a dig. And it had a strait pipe sound so I knew the dpf was gone. We got back to my buddies shop and come to find out he's got exhaust, intake, dpf delete and h&s hottest box tune. We tried to get him to race me again without my trailer but he wouldn't do it.

sent from a galaxy far far away

derek06

Feb 6, 2012
massachusetts
Another case of "I'm cheating and your beating me, therefore I know your cheating..."

They have tried that with me in the past till I say go look at it hoods open cooling down tell me what you find. I'm more of one to play by the rules and piss off the cheaters I find that to be fun.

Andrew

Costly Obsessions
Aug 7, 2013
delaware
everyone round here feeds the same story an wont pop the hood way to much of this :secret: around here too

derek06

Feb 6, 2012
massachusetts
They were all made to pop hoods and if it was a aftermarket turbo it was checked. But as soon as we said we had a turbo plug 7 or 8 dropped out of the class for some reason:confused:

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
The weight bracket has been in Cody's truck for 6 years from the previous owner. Was it right for him to be running it absolutely not I agree with you on that and i'm glad he got caught. I'm new to the whole pulling scene and my feelings on the cheating end of the sport is the same as with any other form of competition if you had to cheat to win then you didn't really win. Helping Cody get his tuning issues figured out was one thing but I know if I or the shop is going to drop any money to help that truck to compete it's going to be 100% legit or I honestly don't want anything to do with it.

derek06

Feb 6, 2012
massachusetts
The weight bracket has been in Cody's truck for 6 years from the previous owner. Was it right for him to be running it absolutely not I agree with you on that and i'm glad he got caught. I'm new to the whole pulling scene and my feelings on the cheating end of the sport is the same as with any other form of competition if you had to cheat to win then you didn't really win. Helping Cody get his tuning issues figured out was one thing but I know if I or the shop is going to drop any money to help that truck to compete it's going to be 100% legit or I honestly don't want anything to do with it.

It was not only Cody's truck there was a few others but I'll say Cody's was by far the cleanest one and the most hidden that I have seen there was a lot of thought that went behind that one.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
sounds like this crap is as bad as the drug smuggler cars i use to do searches on at DPS. that was fun to do

Andrew

Costly Obsessions
Aug 7, 2013
delaware
They were all made to pop hoods and if it was a aftermarket turbo it was checked. But as soon as we said we had a turbo plug 7 or 8 dropped out of the class for some reason:confused:
hahaha cause they knew they was gunna be screwed :roflmao:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sad to say, but nowadays the people who dont cheat in W/S usually lose. I've seen a W/S truck that had lead weights fit into the front frame crossmembers and in the frame space under the radiator. But IMO the worst cheating started with the "stock appearing" rules.

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
Sad to say, but nowadays the people who dont cheat in W/S usually lose. I've seen a W/S truck that had lead weights fit into the front frame crossmembers and in the frame space under the radiator. But IMO the worst cheating started with the "stock appearing" rules.

In a way I agree... but then again however you look at it, the rules are written so someone can sell a part... that's why you hear all this talk about ws class and now 2.5... its all about money... I understand the idea is to play with in the grey areas... but what is black to some maybe grey to others...

bubba2400

Jul 19, 2009
Union Grove, WI
Poorly worded rules that allow a grey area are a big problem then if the techs do not stand firm on how they will enforce the rules it just becomes a joke.

Sounds like you guys are on the right track with actually teching the trucks. Ever see front fenders filled with lead? Ha, there are a million different things that can be done.

Last edited: