Can LML'S have sensitive throttles?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
From a dead stop at idle, punch it. Takes at least a second for something to start happening. (No brake boosting, no rolling starts, etc). When you're in boost its a different story for sure on all models.

My LBZ just takes off when you punch it from a dead stop at idle. There is no delay.

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
Do u have anything done to ur truck other then tuning to make it that responsive josh?? That's what I'm after...

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
My LBZ just takes off when you punch it from a dead stop at idle. There is no delay.

I guess what I'm really saying or comparing to (unfairly) is throttle response is slow compared to a gasser (esp a built one with stall) they aren't even close. Someone else in this thread mentioned they respond the same and that simply isn't true. It is an unfair comparison though, I admit. Having had both, a built ls truck will jump a dmax every time off the line, no brake boosting, no tricks, just straight off idle WFO. That's what I mean when I say throttle response, but I know that's not possible in reality without being in boost to start with. I should have been more clear to start with. I've learned that rolling into the throttle is a much better approach to winning street races from a roll. That is just my observation though.

Waid

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
I have always liked more of a "corvette" feel in my tunes... I didnt like having 50% of the fuel at 25% throttle.... I liked it to drive like stock until you throttle it past 50%. Thats just my personal taste and what in my tuning, however, we have scripts already pre-built for "Low boost fueling". We allow the ecu to use all the factory smoke limiters in our tunes... Simply decreasing them by 40% makes the truck have near instant throttle response, but may blow a small cloud of smoke... We also increase boost arounf 20% more on the bottom end to help aid with that... It does create more torque as well.... Not totally my style, but thats why its called "Custom tuning" We can build it to however someone wants!

Kiwi- Yea calling in through the phones at PPEI and asking for Kory is the same thing the other 300+ callers a day do.... If they actually sent everyone that asks for me to me, I wouldnt get anything done. I have well trained staff there that if you tell them "I want more throttle response down low" they will get it done... This is really nothing to stop me from working on tunes to answer, honestly.

If you need to speak with me directly on something, feel free to shoot me a email. I can answer that in 30 seconds vs a 5 min phone call!

Not that i dont appreciate a phone call, however, phones simply are not a effective method of communication for me.... but im VERY responsive to emails. My while office speaks through emails/messaging, it works very fast and efficient while keeping a history of the things we discussed so nothing gets side tracked in the future.

Thanks guys!

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Appreciate your response Kory.. I've actually got a updated tune now that I'm fixing to try out.. And yes seems like the email route is the way to go..

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Appreciate your response Kory.. I've actually got a updated tune now that I'm fixing to try out.. And yes seems like the email route is the way to go..

Sweet! If you need anything adjusted further, just shoot me a email and I can do whatever you need done.... Make sure and get the tune exactly how you want it - You paid for it, after all! :hug:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Do u have anything done to ur truck other then tuning to make it that responsive josh?? That's what I'm after...
There are three main factors that contribute to how quickly your truck responds and builds power. Those are tuning, turbo, and torque converter. My truck has tuning and an aftermarket torque converter, but the turbo is still stock. It won't immediately roast the tires from a dead stop off idle, but it immediately goes and quickly builds power which results in spinning tires not too long after it rolls out a little.

I guess what I'm really saying or comparing to (unfairly) is throttle response is slow compared to a gasser (esp a built one with stall) they aren't even close. Someone else in this thread mentioned they respond the same and that simply isn't true. It is an unfair comparison though, I admit. Having had both, a built ls truck will jump a dmax every time off the line, no brake boosting, no tricks, just straight off idle WFO. That's what I mean when I say throttle response, but I know that's not possible in reality without being in boost to start with. I should have been more clear to start with. I've learned that rolling into the throttle is a much better approach to winning street races from a roll. That is just my observation though.

Waid
There's no denying a naturally aspirated gas engine builds power quicker than a turbo diesel, but from my experience, the LBZ and newer trucks are much more responsive than the LB7. I've found the best way to win an impromptu street race from a roll is to put the truck in manual mode and click down a few gears before stomping on it. Waiting for the downshift is what seems to take forever on these trucks.

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
Thank u for the explanation.. I need to get my Trans in and see how the new converter is gona do..

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Well I tried the updated tune and seen a little bit of improvement but I wanted some more so emailed back and they got me another one to try.. Just got done driving on it and I'm happy now, it's not real sensitive yet like I thought it might be but you floor it and it puts the fuel to it, boost or not.. I like that, helps spool my turbo a little quicker seems like..

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Yes I realise that and that's not really what my objective was starting out in this thread.. But having more fuel going more off throttle position helps with the spool up of course..
I'm actually really happy with the spool up..

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Yes I realise that and that's not really what my objective was starting out in this thread.. But having more fuel going more off throttle position helps with the spool up of course..
I'm actually really happy with the spool up..

If it's still super clean, we can hammer it harder on the bottom end still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Naw it definitely isn't clean when I stomp it with low boost now... It fuels pretty heavy down low, I'm happy with it..
Thanks a lot for taking time to adjust it for me..

I do wonder though if maybe I would like the first 30 or 40 percent of TP to have more fuel.. But I was told today that you don't mess with that?

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Naw it definitely isn't clean when I stomp it with low boost now... It fuels pretty heavy down low, I'm happy with it..
Thanks a lot for taking time to adjust it for me..

I do wonder though if maybe I would like the first 30 or 40 percent of TP to have more fuel.. But I was told today that you don't mess with that?

I can give it even more fuel down low if ya want!... but if its smokey then sounds like it has it. lol

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Looks good. That 58 might be hurting you a tad down in low gears (before lockup). Mine gets to 50 quicker but after that it's the same. Jmo

Pm me your number I'll send you a video if you want.

Waid

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
This is my second tank running diesel #1 also. I feel like i noticed a difference between the fuels in power. Mine usually rips getting up to 50. What converter are you running?

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
I've been following this thread pretty closely because I'm kind of disappointed with the throttle response compared to my tuned LBZ. My 2015 needs way more foot to the pedal just to get the thing rolling and I really didn't want to tune this truck, at least while it's still in warranty. I stumbled onto a plug in throttle booster that amplfies the signal coming out of the pedal and kowing it didn't program the ECM, I decided to give it a try. Now, I know that there is nothing better than a good tune for these trucks, but I'd figure I'd give it a try and see...Well, for me..It works! Granted it does not add more power and 100% is still 100% throttle, but it pretty much eliminates the foot to the throttle to get the truck moving. Makes it more sensitive in the first 25% movement of the pedal. And no warranty issues to boot...Should hold me over until the warranty runs out and the exhaust falls off...

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
That's interesting, I might look into that also..

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk