Can LML'S have sensitive throttles?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What are you calling cost effective Tom?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Shane, something that doesnt cost the owner an arm and a leg to change. You know how it goes with these trucks....everything is expensive.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What exactly do you mean when you say "sensitive throttle"?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Shane, something that doesnt cost the owner an arm and a leg to change. You know how it goes with these trucks....everything is expensive.
I know that term is subjective Tom. The LML is a little more expensive to get it to where the earlier generations are but not much more. You can have a completely different truck for about 3000 bucks. One that you are actually happy with and is fun to drive. Improved mileage, responsive pedal and plenty of daily drivable power. I would not own one without the mods.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
What exactly do you mean when you say "sensitive throttle"?
Well I'll be the first one to say that I don't like big clouds of black smoke in the public where people can see BUT this is the only way I can think to explain what I mean.. When your sitting in Park or neutral and you stab the pedal to floor and let of, does it smoke? Mine don't a bit and my idea of a sensitive throttle is when you stab it, even in park, it puts fuel to it and puffs a little cloud..

And no I don't want a smoke tune! Never had one never will!

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
it can be done in a LML and you can have the same throttle response as LB7's or LBZ's or LMM's when I began tuning my 11 it didn't take long to eliminate the dead pedal. shut traction control and stabiltrac off mine was more responsive then I wanted. I could roll down the road and haze the tires off through 4th gear. Some tuners say it is in the tcm but I didn't mess with the tcm tune at all.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
My LML is the most responsive duramax truck I have owned. It comes down to personal tastes, but dead peddle is not a problem to fix in the tuning. I have my favorite throttle feel and incorporate into my tuning, but some customers like a different feel. Say someone lives on a bumpy dirt road or 4x4's a lot, they like less sensitivity, opposite for someone that is a hotrodder on the street only.

For people that have tuning control, i.e. V2, start with increasing the peddle to desired torque tables by 10% outside idle area, then move up at 5% increments until you like the feel. B1102 smoke limiter can help with throttle input also, esp. if running a bigger intake. Reduce the table by small % until you get what you personally like.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I no tuner, but how can an ECM that uses calculated tq, ever respond to throttle input as fast as an ECM that uses throttle base?

Been in a lot of different trucks, with a lot of different tuning, the lb7s have always been more responsive. I know this is "the interweb" and it's very hard to describe things, not to mention this is a very subjective subject. What one person calls responsive I don't etc. Not trying to come off rude in anyway, just wondering if something has changed recently??

What I mean is: if you blip the throttle on a lb7 from a dead stop at idle, the whole truck will jump forward, now do that in a LMM and nothing happens.

Not trying stir the pot. Trying to learn.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I no tuner, but how can an ECM that uses calculated tq, ever respond to throttle input as fast as an ECM that uses throttle base?

Been in a lot of different trucks, with a lot of different tuning, the lb7s have always been more responsive. I know this is "the interweb" and it's very hard to describe things, not to mention this is a very subjective subject. What one person calls responsive I don't etc. Not trying to come off rude in anyway, just wondering if something has changed recently??

What I mean is: if you blip the throttle on a lb7 from a dead stop at idle, the whole truck will jump forward, now do that in a LMM and nothing happens.

Not trying stir the pot. Trying to learn.

the LMM's I have tuned have been the easiest to get the most response out of. I had one that had 8" lift and 37's and at 10 mph blip the throttle and bark the tires easily. able to get more throttle response then a gas rig out of those. LBZ is the same to me also.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
My LML is the most responsive duramax truck I have owned. It comes down to personal tastes, but dead peddle is not a problem to fix in the tuning. I have my favorite throttle feel and incorporate into my tuning, but some customers like a different feel. Say someone lives on a bumpy dirt road or 4x4's a lot, they like less sensitivity, opposite for someone that is a hotrodder on the street only.

For people that have tuning control, i.e. V2, start with increasing the peddle to desired torque tables by 10% outside idle area, then move up at 5% increments until you like the feel. B1102 smoke limiter can help with throttle input also, esp. if running a bigger intake. Reduce the table by small % until you get what you personally like.

Exactly...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

Thats kinda what I was talking about. If it is something in the tuning that is relatively easy to fix, then that is the route Id take.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
My throttle response with Rob's tuning is instant. What I really love is the part throttle instant kickdown and response when you need to run a yellow light. It used to get a little hairy trying to keep from running a red light in the intersection.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
From a dead stop at idle, punch it. Takes at least a second for something to start happening. (No brake boosting, no rolling starts, etc). When you're in boost its a different story for sure on all models.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
From a dead stop at idle, punch it. Takes at least a second for something to start happening. (No brake boosting, no rolling starts, etc). When you're in boost its a different story for sure on all models.
My LB7 doesn't. It responds nearly instantly. Has taken me a LONG time to get it there, just wished I could clear up more of the smoke with it there. LLY's aren't much trouble, and LBZ/LMM's light nearly instantly as well. Haven't tried an LML yet. And as to throttle based VS torque based, they are one in the same essentially. Only difference is throttle based tuning uses X amount of throttle to Y amount of fuel. Torque based tuning uses X amount of throttle to get Z amount of torque, for Y amount of fuel. Same thing, just an extra step to get there is all. And the BOSCH ECM's are so much faster they actually do the calculation faster than earlier trucks could without the extra step.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
My LB7 doesn't. It responds nearly instantly. Has taken me a LONG time to get it there, just wished I could clear up more of the smoke with it there. LLY's aren't much trouble, and LBZ/LMM's light nearly instantly as well. Haven't tried an LML yet. And as to throttle based VS torque based, they are one in the same essentially. Only difference is throttle based tuning uses X amount of throttle to Y amount of fuel. Torque based tuning uses X amount of throttle to get Z amount of torque, for Y amount of fuel. Same thing, just an extra step to get there is all. And the BOSCH ECM's are so much faster they actually do the calculation faster than earlier trucks could without the extra step.

You just confirmed what I said. Thank you.

Edit: LB7 is quicker for sure. I've ridden in many different trucks running tuning from all the big names.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
You just confirmed what I said. Thank you.

Edit: LB7 is quicker for sure. I've ridden in many different trucks running tuning from all the big names.

My lb7 doesn't hold a candle to my LML as far as throttle feel. My LML turns on like a switch, boost comes on very fast, it is almost unbelievable how fast it spools...

dag4566

May 7, 2009
Having driven a spartan tuned 6.4 down a bumpy road I will share that I would gladly pay to not deal with the outright roughness and shifting of those tunes. Stock pedal is terrible but Kory tunes have been good enough for me in that department.

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
My lb7 doesn't hold a candle to my LML as far as throttle feel. My LML turns on like a switch, boost comes on very fast, it is almost unbelievable how fast it spools...
I know the LB7 isn't quite as fast to respond as a VGT truck is(they aren't on boost at idle), but my LB7 has surprised more than a few with its throttle response, and it will flat move the boost gauge up in a hurry.