Build costs

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Damn maybe I should just dropped off my truck at your place and would have gotten it done right!! Lol
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I encourage any one to build it themselves , and I will never be afraid to say the truth even if it isnt the popular route , its the truth non the less , when you called looking for turbo info did I help ? was I honest when you asked if one of my kits would out perform your old one ? did I "sell" you anything ? how much time did I spend out of my busy day with nothing to gain ? I am here to help even if it means trying things that some consider wrong I prooved what could be done on a budget and shared every bit of it. and My motor was only pulled once , lasted an entire race season at over 1k HP , will yours ?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Agreeded but I would rather take my chances with new parts than used. Also how are y'all arriving at this 5-6k magic number build? ? Rods are half of that and to half a motor machined correctly and balanced you will nearly eat up the other half. That's not counting bearings balancer, studs, ???? Confused

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I knwo what you mean by trusting new parts but i just dont. in the motors ive built (alll gas) its been 50/50 on new being bought and only last a few thousand miles. 5-6k is what trent and i have figured would be a decent budget for me based a few motors hes done before.

i jsut look at it as, im not stock anymore and the motor aint gunna last a million miles at high hp. whether i put 6k or 20k into the motor, im still keep myself prepared to have to pull the motor again. once you build it, its not a done deal you wont have to touch it again. anything can happen at these power levels be it all new or used

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
well heres how i see a price break down...
Carrillos $2600
Machine work $1000-1400
Head studs $600 (arp)
Main Studs $260-300?? (arp) cant member there cost
rings $250-$400 (depends on what brand an were you get them)
bearings $150 (rod and mains) iirc thats what i spent
head gaskets $180
balancer $450-500

thats the bare essentials there i think might have missed something im sure some will say what but thats a total of $5570-$6000ish

now injectors can be put in to be that has a huge price range difference turbos could be thrown in but again were just talikng engine here so 5-6k should get you what you need for a good motor like the op wants not full blown everything there so

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Main studs have yet to be proven and will also up the cost of your build. When I build my motor for a DD it will not use main studs, but that is just my opinion.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I knwo what you mean by trusting new parts but i just dont. in the motors ive built (alll gas) its been 50/50 on new being bought and only last a few thousand miles. 5-6k is what trent and i have figured would be a decent budget for me based a few motors hes done before.

i jsut look at it as, im not stock anymore and the motor aint gunna last a million miles at high hp. whether i put 6k or 20k into the motor, im still keep myself prepared to have to pull the motor again. once you build it, its not a done deal you wont have to touch it again. anything can happen at these power levels be it all new or used

the build we specd

Crower Rods
cut / coated pistons
mag crank
inspect and clean oil pump replace seals
clean block
inspect cam
new freeze plugs
3 key ways ( 2 crank 1 cam )
full balance job
H-series race bearings main and Rod
all new pistons rings
re-surface block
short block assembled and "sim" tested ( oil pressure tested while rotating at machine shop )
and includes head gaskets

total cost 6500.00 + or - 1k depending on stock parts condition . This is the short block so add a few seals and head studs for total engine cost .

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the build we specd

Crower Rods
cut / coated pistons
mag crank
inspect and clean oil pump replace seals
clean block
inspect cam
new freeze plugs
3 key ways ( 2 crank 1 cam )
full balance job
H-series race bearings main and Rod
all new pistons rings
re-surface block
short block assembled and "sim" tested ( oil pressure tested while rotating at machine shop )
and includes head gaskets

total cost 6500.00 + or - 1k depending on stock parts condition .

that be it! :D:thumb:

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
Main studs have yet to be proven and will also up the cost of your build. When I build my motor for a DD it will not use main studs, but that is just my opinion.

ok, so let me catch up here for a sec on the main studs not being needed. Whats your hp level? what have you built with hp to prove your theory? have you then had a motor with and with out main studs pulled down after a season and checked main cap walk?? and if so at what power?? that a dam bold statement to post...... main studs in a decent build are needed depending on your hp level!! your saying the 250 dollars they cost and the 175 line bore are not worth the money?? you might wanna reconsider that!!

Last edited:

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
that be it! :D:thumb:

lets break this down a little better trent since its your first time using a machine shop shall we:D:thumb:
crower rods 2600 dollars
cut and coated pistons 600
mill deck, if needed 150
hone block 125
cut 3 keys, 2 crank, 1 cam, 85 a piece
clean block 70
assemble short block, and sim test 600
ballance rotating assamble 350
clean heads 70
pressure test heads 80
head work if needed, valve grind 325
mill heads 100
install main studs and line hone 175
install new guides and labor 300
valve seals 58
clean and polish crank 50
mag crank 40
main studs 270
head gaskets 180
h series mains and rod bearings 350
piston rings 400
motor gasket kit around 400
head studs 600
ect..... thats a bare bone build!!!

So far thats 7748, not depending on how your stock parts look, so lets get a little closer to what this game actually costs!!!:thumb: Thats not even everything, we could push this right down to oils and filters, labor on top of this depending on who does your build, tunning for the new motor

Last edited:

05greendmax

dyno and drag numberssoon
Dec 26, 2009
ohio
honing ur block out do u have to get the ring ridge out like a gasser don t know just throwibng that out there

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
lets break this down a little better trent since its your first time using a machine shop shall we:D:thumb:
crower rods 2600 dollars
mill deck, if needed 150
hone block 125
clean block 70
clean heads 70
pressure test heads 80
mill heads 100

valve seals 58

mag crank 40
main studs 270
head gaskets 180
piston rings 400
head studs 600

So far thats 7748, not depending on how your stock parts look, so lets get a little closer to what this game actually costs!!!:thumb:

why do i need everything in the bold?

Last edited:

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
I encourage any one to build it themselves , and I will never be afraid to say the truth even if it isnt the popular route , its the truth non the less , when you called looking for turbo info did I help ? was I honest when you asked if one of my kits would out perform your old one ? did I "sell" you anything ? how much time did I spend out of my busy day with nothing to gain ? I am here to help even if it means trying things that some consider wrong I prooved what could be done on a budget and shared every bit of it. and My motor was only pulled once , lasted an entire race season at over 1k HP , will yours ?

You know trent your not the only one that knows a little somethin there, yeah i did call you to tap your thoughts on turbo's and what have you . Thing is you did "take time away from your busy day' to talk to me. Thing is i didnt care for your turbo setup and went elsewhere;)As far as the motor build , who knows if it will last, but you can bet your ass one thing i won't be "half assin " on anything i've built . Futhermore you must have a horseshoe stuck somewhere and i my friend know i do not!!! I may not have the fastest d-max right now :thumb:but i have drag raced all my life and we can test your motor building skills in a quick best out of how ever many times you wanna loose, race ;) i just won't be using the dirtymax. We can then see,how long each motor last , and who can actually build a motor. Hey , i will even rent the track :roflmao:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
crower rods 2600 dollars
mill deck, if needed 150
hone block 125
clean block 70
clean heads 70
pressure test heads 80
mill heads 100
valve seals 58
mag crank 40
main studs 270
head gaskets 180
piston rings 400
head studs 600

So far thats 7748, not depending on how your stock parts look, so lets get a little closer to what this game actually costs!!!:thumb:

It's funny how much prices vary from machine shop to machine shop.

duramini2001

On a Time Out
Sep 30, 2006
Highland, Ut
It's funny how much prices vary from machine shop to machine shop.

these prices are a tad high but to protect the market as you can hopefully understand. but i promise you that its only a few hundred dollars. When someone jumps on and says they can build a motor for 6500 they are doing it for under what it costs

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
crower rods 2600 dollars
mill deck, if needed 150
hone block 125
clean block 70
clean heads 70
pressure test heads 80
mill heads 100
valve seals 58
mag crank 40
main studs 270
head gaskets 180
piston rings 400
head studs 600
ect..... thats a bare bone build!!!

So far thats 7748, not depending on how your stock parts look, so lets get a little closer to what this game actually costs!!!:thumb: Thats not even everything, we could push this right down to oils and filters, labor on top of this depending on who does your build, tunning for the new motor

The price I quoted was based off of the Invoice from the motor Randy just finsih up for me , its less than a day old , pretty current pricing and has a cuit for me in it too ;)