Build costs

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
i feel kinda stupid posting this thread but i'm trying to do everything i can to make this the last time i need to pull my motor. can you guys help me discover all the necessary costs? i'm sure there''s stuff i'm overlooking.

Thanks.

Howards rods - $2850
cutting and coating (or maybe just coating) my spare set of slugs - $600-800.
merchant HG kit with studs - $1000
Balancing rotating assembly + keyed crank/cam - $600ish? :confused:
Head resurfacing $100
Bearings - no idea help me out on this.
Rings - no idea on this either. will i need new ones?
Specialty tools ill need - same as above :(

Ok in addition to the stuff in red i'm sure there are things i've yet to even think of. help please :)

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Did you do a search, I think I remember more than one threads previously with detailed costs associated to building a Dmax.

Also, iirc, Henry has assembled a gasket/seal kit that has everything you'll need to take one apart & reassemble.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
in my opinion, get the main studs too, have it align honed with stock main caps, and you should have the cylinders honed with a torque plate for the head studs. there is really no reason to cut those corners to save $500. the biggest money saver is making sure your machine shop is competent.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
I guess you could call it a problem, when a rod shortens or you put a hole in the piston :spit:

If you are thinking about building it, then you are planning on pushing it farther, and should do it right the first time IMO.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
well i meant if i kept it at the same power i have now, in theory if the cylinders aren't true after the studs that would make failure that much more possible... if im thinking correctly

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
well i meant if i kept it at the same power i have now, in theory if the cylinders aren't true after the studs that would make failure that much more possible... if im thinking correctly
Plenty of people running head studs that have not torque honed the block ( hundreds ) , my race truck was one of them this time a hone/ bore out was required so it was done this go round , is it a good idea ? absolutely yes , and if I am getting a motor honed then yes I have it done that way, is it mandatory ? absolutely not .

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
In my case Trent what do you think?

also, does the average machine shop have the tools needed to hone a duramax? or do they need a special bit for our bore?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
In my case Trent what do you think?

also, does the average machine shop have the tools needed to hone a duramax? or do they need a special bit for our bore?

I cant make that decision for you , you have to decide which corners you will skip due to budget , ect . that way if it fails or has a problem you made the cocious choice and not some one else , you now what I did / ran last year motor cost me 42-4500 bucks , whether you want to risk the same is your choice. And IMOP if the machine shop has never done a damx dont use them.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
well, i don't take anyone word as gospel..but i do like opinions lol. thanks for helping me understand what it was though:hug:

what about bearings and rings? i have 2 sets of rings as a set came on the spare pistons i bought. how can i tell if they're any good?

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I cant make that decision for you , you have to decide which corners you will skip due to budget , ect . that way if it fails or has a problem you made the cocious choice and not some one else , you now what I did / ran last year motor cost me 42-4500 bucks , whether you want to risk the same is your choice. And IMOP if the machine shop has never done a damx dont use them.

x2

I have haead studs on my truck for 30,000 miles it doesn't use any oil and has no adverse effects

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Engine balancing, key cam, key Crank, pin oil pump, tig water pump, new flywheel and main Bolts, etc, etc.. You can spend anywhere between 6 and 20k depending on how crazy you want to go. If you are content with the power you are currently making? I say stud it and run with it. Not TRQ plate honing the cylinders is not the best idea after studs IMO, but plenty of people do it without issues.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
ill never be content with the amount of power, however budget is dictating what i can do.

i figure with what i specified on the first page 7-800hp should be doable in the future without have to redo any internals.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
as far as special tools to machine a duramax block - shops have honed with a normal stone but there are special stones made for induction hardened walls. a torque plate would need to be purchased in order for them to hone the cylinders and it would be in their best interest to contact Guy for his guidance. Todd from PDS here in Ludlow, MA has built 2 (that I know of) motors for members on this forum, he has a full auto/diesel machine shop in-house and access to everything that is needed to properly machine and build these motors. NJ isnt that far, I drove down to AC last week for a truck.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
ill never be content with the amount of power, however budget is dictating what i can do.

i figure with what i specified on the first page 7-800hp should be doable in the future without have to redo any internals.

Camomax went deep 10's with a motor that had been "Rod swapped" and Head studded , nothing else I believe ,no hone , no new rings, crank never left the block ( mine didnt either ) . Cant guarantee how long it will last but you will likley break somethink else before what you "didnt do right" bites you :rofl: I lost a piston ( the only thing I did "right" ;) )

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
yea but i dont plan on pushing it quite as hard as you there buddy :D

but it is my daily driver.... so i do want it to be somewhat reliable.. im def gonna have it balanced. i had how uneven it is even bone stock