Build costs

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
ill never be content with the amount of power, however budget is dictating what i can do.

i figure with what i specified on the first page 7-800hp should be doable in the future without have to redo any internals.

I hear you on the budget. The hardest part is deciding when enough is enough though. Once you start adding rods and machine work you open up a whole nother can of worms. My suggestion would be buy another motor since this is your DD and build your current motor over time.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
as far as special tools to machine a duramax block - shops have honed with a normal stone but there are special stones made for induction hardened walls. a torque plate would need to be purchased in order for them to hone the cylinders and it would be in their best interest to contact Guy for his guidance. Todd from PDS here in Ludlow, MA has built 2 (that I know of) motors for members on this forum, he has a full auto/diesel machine shop in-house and access to everything that is needed to properly machine and build these motors. NJ isnt that far, I drove down to AC last week for a truck.

Heading over to Todd's tomorrow with 2 motors, My built one and soon to be built one :thumb:

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
i know what you're sayin but thats an extra 3-4 grand don't have. i could blow that motor up next week and i would really be up shit creek. ide rather deal with the downtime and do it once...hopefully correctly

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Personally, im setting a budget of 5-6k when the time come. ive talked the motor stuff over with trent and he and i both believe its attainable. Now, will be it as reliable as a 10k motor at those numbers? i dont know becuase the crank still plays a roll in this as we have seen them break at stock lvls. All i want to do is put rods in, balance the rotating assembly, possibly put bearings in (depending how mine look), studs, new gaskets, key the crank and cam, and see where that takes me. its not set in stone what i want to do but that a round about it. I wont be runnin this motor over 3600 rpm and im still on my original water pump with 163k on her (ill change it when i do the motor unless it goes before then).

Id set your budget and start workin around that. From what ive read, IMOP a 5-6k motor is just as much at risk of breakin as a 10k+ motor. I may be out of line to say that but thats what ive gathered. Please give me a good slap and reality check if im off :D

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
i know what you're sayin but thats an extra 3-4 grand don't have. i could blow that motor up next week and i would really be up shit creek. ide rather deal with the downtime and do it once...hopefully correctly

Exactly what I thought the first time;) But in the end, if you are going to keep pushing the power LVL's, you either need a new DD or a spare motor.. But then again maybe I just have bad luck with these things:) Regardless if I can help you out with anything let me know, your only a couple hrs from me.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Wait, you just said you think you can run 800hp on stock internals?

:roflmao:

Mine blew at 530hp in 20k miles. Its the luck of the draw.... if you arent ready for it to pop -financially or otherwise, dont make big power. And if you are going to build it, save up a bit longer until you can do a "complete" build - whatever complete means to you.

You reallllllllly dont want to put all that time and effor into a motor only to have something fail down the road a bit and cause catasprohic damage to your new $$$ parts by cutting a few corners originally.

Just something to think about and the way I did my build. (I thought, anyway. LOL)

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Exactly what I thought the first time;) But in the end, if you are going to keep pushing the power LVL's, you either need a new DD or a spare motor.. But then again maybe I just have bad luck with these things:) Regardless if I can help you out with anything let me know, your only a couple hrs from me.

well i have access to other vehicles.. so thats not a big problem but i still like to daily the truck.

and thanks for the offer, ill let you know when i actually set a date to pull the motor if you're bored you can drop buy and ill supply some beer haha

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Wait, you just said you think you can run 800hp on stock internals?

:roflmao:

Mine blew at 530hp in 20k miles. Its the luck of the draw.... if you arent ready for it to pop -financially or otherwise, dont make big power. And if you are going to build it, save up a bit longer until you can do a "complete" build - whatever complete means to you.

You reallllllllly dont want to put all that time and effor into a motor only to have something fail down the road a bit and cause catasprohic damage to your new $$$ parts by cutting a few corners originally.

Just something to think about and the way I did my build. (I thought, anyway. LOL)

no no no no no, what i said was...with the parts layed out on the first page i feel i can run 800hp

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
Beech take advise from me, I am doing this now and had all your same questions. I am sure all will agree, don't half ass this, it will bite you in the butt in the end. I bought a back up motor for $1500, and that's what I am building, rods,pistons, cam, everything will be new. Do it once and do it right ,promise it will be worth it!!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
beech i wanna help with the build :D

well get your ass out here then :D

Beech take advise from me, I am doing this now and had all your same questions. I am sure all will agree, don't half ass this, it will bite you in the butt in the end. I bought a back up motor for $1500, and that's what I am building, rods,pistons, cam, everything will be new. Do it once and do it right ,promise it will be worth it!!!

i know trey, i'm gonna do my best to not half ass anything. i still got your number im pretty sure i may hit you up down the road when the shit gets thick if you don't mind:baby:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Pardon me for takin away from your orginal post beech,

But what is the difference in longevity of a 10+ build to a 6k build? New parts fail too (not often but it happens), the crank can still be a weak point, holes in piston (new or used). I not tryin to argue with anyone, im jsut curious? What cheap motor builds have failed at 800hp and what 10k+ ones failed at 800hp?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Here is my question ? what do people consider " half assed" "incorrect" , ect ? I keep hearing comments on the subject and several are from people with ZERO miles, ZERO passe's , and NO HP #'s to associate to there "bullet proof" motors , throwing parts at a motor asnd calling it "the right way" as Insurance I have a problem with there are several things in this thread it doesn't apply to as there has been some b=very good info and advice shared , but a competent mechanic / machinist has the ability to tear a engine down completely , inspect every item and decide from there what a motor does and does not need based off of the target HP goal , wear of the internal items , ect .

Just something to think about , I "half assed a motor last year in a lot of peoples minds , the forget that I have built several engines prior , am a ASE certified "Master tech " one of those in "engine repair and diagnostics" , just because I didnt throw 10k at it doesnt mean it was "shotty" ;)

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
Pardon me for takin away from your orginal post beech,

But what is the difference in longevity of a 10+ build to a 6k build? New parts fail too (not often but it happens), the crank can still be a weak point, holes in piston (new or used). I not tryin to argue with anyone, im jsut curious? What cheap motor builds have failed at 800hp and what 10k+ ones failed at 800hp?

Agreeded but I would rather take my chances with new parts than used. Also how are y'all arriving at this 5-6k magic number build? ? Rods are half of that and to half a motor machined correctly and balanced you will nearly eat up the other half. That's not counting bearings balancer, studs, ???? Confused

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Hmm mine being machined now wont break 1000 bucks with being bored heads cleaned up block cleaned up crank an internals totally balanced? Maybe I'm not doing something but its just atothwr motor to a person who does machine work to them nothing real fancy IMO

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
Here is my question ? what do people consider " half assed" "incorrect" , ect ? I keep hearing comments on the subject and several are from people with ZERO miles, ZERO passe's , and NO HP #'s to associate to there "bullet proof" motors , throwing parts at a motor asnd calling it "the right way" as Insurance I have a problem with there are several things in this thread it doesn't apply to as there has been some b=very good info and advice shared , but a competent mechanic / machinist has the ability to tear a engine down completely , inspect every item and decide from there what a motor does and does not need based off of the target HP goal , wear of the internal items , ect .

Just something to think about , I "half assed a motor last year in a lot of peoples minds , the forget that I have built several engines prior , am a ASE certified "Master tech " one of those in "engine repair and diagnostics" , just because I didnt throw 10k at it doesnt mean it was "shotty" ;)
Damn maybe I should just dropped off my truck at your place and would have gotten it done right!! Lol

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga

Also I don't think Beech has the luxury of pulling his motor in and out as racers do lol