Beans or fass sump?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
When you do the install couple things I have read and from my own experience using hole saws, a lot of them (almost ruined a $3000.00 countertop few years back). Extend the pilot bit past the hole saw at least 1/2" to 3/4" of an inch. Use a 1/2" corded drill (1/2" cordless is OK needs low end torque) with a good variable speed trigger. Start the pilot bit, after you have drilled the pilot hole reverse the drill and drill the sump hole.

Too fast on the drill in the forward rotation and you'll have a hole like this guy....
=
=
588346d1423054670-beans-sump-2015-02-03-09.55.28.jpg

=
=
=
=
588362d1423054755-beans-sump-2015-02-03-10.05.04.jpg

=
=
=
=
Beans sump...
=
=
705137d1440480645-beans-sump-imageuploadedbyag-free1440480645.103673.jpg

=

Last edited:

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
When you do the install couple things I have read and from my own experience using hole saws, a lot of them (almost ruined a $3000.00 countertop few years back). Extend the pilot bit past the hole saw at least 1/2" to 3/4" of an inch. Use a 1/2" corded drill (1/2" cordless is OK needs low end torque) with a good variable speed trigger. Start the pilot bit, after you have drilled the pilot hole reverse the drill and drill the sump hole.

705137d1440480645-beans-sump-imageuploadedbyag-free1440480645.103673.jpg

=

Pictures didn't come up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

testdrive

May 28, 2013
Mike... you must be a mind reader...
That is just how I use hole saws. When cutting in anything that has any fiber this method will save the day.

testdrive

May 28, 2013
So now that we are feeling all warm and fuzzy while we sump along the highway or slug through the bush, what will be your thoughts when you run over that big hunk of truck tire!
I am working on a skid plate for mine to protect the hose of steel tubing. The sump is fairly robust but the feed line is vulnerable.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Can anyone honestly say they have hit there sump on something? Never heard of one yet! Could run over something and damage nsbu switch or hit a brake line or hit the lift pump and tear it up. Shit happens.... it not like the sump is damn near touching the ground it's only about 2 inches lower than the tank.

Another point is the hose comes out the side. If the hose came out the bottom of the sump I could see that being an issue. Many things could do this and could do that but are they likely to happen.....not the case. If it was a big issue people wouldn't buy them and company's that make them wouldn't.

testdrive

May 28, 2013
Motorking,
the threaded hole in the plate is to hold the inside plate as you tighten the pressure bolt. Remove the holding bolt and install the drain plug after tighting the center. I did't have to use a holding bolt but I did line up the two holes in case I had to if I ever needed to remove the sump and the threads were locked with corrosion. Little chance of that happening.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
How would it hold the plate? It didn't come with anything to thread into it to grab inside the tank? I see what your point. Maybe I'm missing something I don't know.

testdrive

May 28, 2013
I don't suffer from regrets as I am the one that is responsible, but to be fair the Beans video sorta wants you to think that they are completely reliable. And I believe them to be very robust, therefore making them trouble free. It's the fuel line that is the problem. If you dig into some of the obscure laws you will find that one can't have gravity feed tanks. Now don't ask me where and whether it applies to diesel or not, because I don't have a clue. When you install a bed tank, that has it own set of precautions.

As far as hitting something on the highway, I hope I don't. But, I have property in Colorado that has an old mining road as access and I have a very rocky stretch of creek bottom that I have to rock crawl over. By then I will have that hose/pipe protected.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I don't suffer from regrets as I am the one that is responsible, but to be fair the Beans video sorta wants you to think that they are completely reliable. And I believe them to be very robust, therefore making them trouble free. It's the fuel line that is the problem. If you dig into some of the obscure laws you will find that one can't have gravity feed tanks. Now don't ask me where and whether it applies to diesel or not, because I don't have a clue. When you install a bed tank, that has it own set of precautions.

As far as hitting something on the highway, I hope I don't. But, I have property in Colorado that has an old mining road as access and I have a very rocky stretch of creek bottom that I have to rock crawl over. By then I will have that hose/pipe protected.
In your situation I could completely understand having protection on the fuel line. Most people don't take their vehicles off road. I may very seldom take it off the beaten path through the yard or back through the field to get a deer. I wouldn't be driving up over anything though.

As for the laws I have never heard of that in Indiana anyway. That's news to me. Is the law different for motorcycles because most of them are gravity fed. If I had to guess the reason behind a law like that is because of contamination if the fuel line was ripped off and it not having a fuel shut off.

testdrive

May 28, 2013
Here is a picture of my sump installation. Mine is in a Suburban that has a factory skid plate covering the tank. As one can see, I had to cut a relief hole in the skid plate. I plan to fab up an aluminum plate that will cover the fuel hose and the sump. This will be a easy mod and when we return from Florida I will do it.

As far as the rule and regs concerning gravity tanks here is a quick link from Transfer flow systems to read.
Don't want to hijack the OP thread but no one is complaining and some good information on sumps.

Attachments

• sump intallation.jpg
    sump intallation.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 57

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
According to the link, a gravity fed tank could cause an overfill problem making the rollover valve fail. If the factory rollover valve isn't tampered with and the float is left in the tank the vehicle meets all requirements making it legal.

In all diesel fuel systems there is a rollover valve which is normally open to atmosphere. The rollover valve utilizes a combination of float weight, spring force, and buoyancy to function properly. When the float is immersed in fuel, the float (valve) closes, effectively preventing fuel leakage in the event of a rollover. The overfill tendencies of gravity fed systems leads some users to seal (effectively eliminate) the rollover OEM valve(s). In the absence of a rollover valve, the auxiliary tank will likely continue to flow fuel into the vapor space of the main fuel tank. If the vapor space in the main tank is diminished, it violates the “overfill restriction” requirement of 49 CFR 393.76(12)(i).
Copied from Transfer flow systems.

Reason for the law is because in regeneration mode the dpf reaches temp of 600 deg C (about 1200F) and the autoignition point of diesel is 260 deg C thus causing a fire if a rollover did occur and the rollover valve failed.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Not sure how this went from sumps to gravity filled tanks but I've ran gravity and pump systems from my slip tank for over 10 years in 3 different trucks. Never ever had a leak with the gravity. Ever. And it would run out the filler if I removed the cap.

I once ran the pump/hose/nozzle setup but after the expensive pump got stolen-and all my fuel, I ditched that setup.

The pump system I currently run is tied in the same way as my gravity system was but one thing is it would leak out past the fuel cap if I left the pump running and overfilled. Did this a couple times by accident lol. Simon pumped his whole 80gal out past the fuel cap a few times in his truck. But not once did it come out of the rollover valve with either of us. Or the hundreds of fleet trucks I've been around that were all gravity feed.

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about ever having a leak with the gravity feed and in my country there is no law I've seen preventing it.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Also I use a vented cap on my slip tank that has a rollover system built in so it won't pressure up and overfill.

But back to sumps. Personally I don't like them because any dirt or water that gets in the tank goes to the lowest spot. I'd rather not have that shit going through my fuel system and leave it in the tank to be cleaned out every few years.

But for a max effort drag or puller truck I'd run one as both won't see near the amount of fuel through them as a DD.

Last edited:

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Evan at Limitless just hooked me up with a Fass bottom type sump. Figure I am going to be pushing it as hard as I can, might as well get away from the stock pick up. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I did order all -10 AN fittings and lines, along with a shut off valve to go on the tank, in case I ever need to work on it.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
a9d994649baca33cf69f0c3ff40bec8a.jpg

Got my fuel level sensor today. Going to try to use that write up over at diesel place to replace it. The lb7 has the sensor molded into the unit so it's not replaceable. Well at least bolt on replaceable. All I have left is get my wheels and tires here so I can tear the bed off this thing.

Also I'm wanting to have my cluster rebuilt with the escalade gauges. Anyone know who does this for a reasonable price?

Greg