April '24 Chat --- Got Jokes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Well looking through parts lists it appears there are two different sun gear spacers (17mm and 21mm). I'm going to assume the 17mm was with the 6spd gear train update but need to confirm that unless someone here has an extra they can measure.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Oh I can play the stupid safety rules game after spending a few years in the oil field.

One of my favorites was when I had to put out traffic control because I was working "on the road". It was an abandoned oil field/chemical plant. It had been abandoned so long you couldn't tell where the concrete roads where because they where completely covered in 3' tall grass.

The time I was on a job walk and a bee flew by us and we had to have a Safety Stand down to discuss stinging insects.

A 2 day job turned into a week because my subcontractor moved his truck 20' without his seat belt on. We where on stand by while they actually flew a the Regional Safety guy back from Europe to bitch us out.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have a transmission question...

Allison 1000, picked up a core to rebuild. Noticed the washer between the pump / stator housing and the drum was broken and some scoring on the p1 drive flange where it touched the c3 plate. No big deal, seller claimed truck was in a rollover. Didn't find anything else wrong other than some burnt frictions. Bearings in the rear half all looked great, no physical damage to the planets.

Upon assembly I dropped the c1 / c2 drum in and it's resting on the c3 backing plate? I tried a spare drum and same thing

View attachment 123113
Do you have all the thrust bearings installed? There are 6 total. It's unlikely that sun gears/spacers would be mixed up in a complete transmission.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Do you have all the thrust bearings installed? There are 6 total. It's unlikely that sun gears/spacers would be mixed up in a complete transmission.
Sorry I forgot to follow up on this...

Everything was installed correctly, the 17mm spacer is correct for the early units. It ended up having the revised p3 carrier with the spot face for the larger T6 bearing, but still had the early p3 sun gear. Something I took for granted and should have checked when I tore it down... Have a good used sun gear on the way.

Transmission didn't appear to have been apart before, but when it's 20+ years old you never know

Reactions: malibu795

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Oh I can play the stupid safety rules game after spending a few years in the oil field.

One of my favorites was when I had to put out traffic control because I was working "on the road". It was an abandoned oil field/chemical plant. It had been abandoned so long you couldn't tell where the concrete roads where because they where completely covered in 3' tall grass.

The time I was on a job walk and a bee flew by us and we had to have a Safety Stand down to discuss stinging insects.

A 2 day job turned into a week because my subcontractor moved his truck 20' without his seat belt on. We where on stand by while they actually flew a the Regional Safety guy back from Europe to bitch us out.
Love that game!

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
See if I can load a video, gues not..
Adding projects to my list of things to do, my daily is a 2001 2500 suburban with a LQ4, only thing I've done, basic maintenance, knock/cam sensors, o ring on pick up, pulled pan again to heli coil oil cooler plate holes.. got it with 251k has 463k on it.. pretty sure it's on its last legs, with 10w40 idles 35-40psi goes down the road at 50-60psi oil pressure..
Source: https://youtube.com/shorts/4uBJMNRsuxg?feature=shared

Reactions: 1FastBrick

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
See if I can load a video, gues not..
Adding projects to my list of things to do, my daily is a 2001 2500 suburban with a LQ4, only thing I've done, basic maintenance, knock/cam sensors, o ring on pick up, pulled pan again to heli coil oil cooler plate holes.. got it with 251k has 463k on it.. pretty sure it's on its last legs, with 10w40 idles 35-40psi goes down the road at 50-60psi oil pressure..
Source: https://youtube.com/shorts/4uBJMNRsuxg?feature=shared
Toss a bottle of Restore in there and drive on.. When blow by gets excessive, the dip stick indicator will pop up and let you know..

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Toss a bottle of Restore in there and drive on.. When blow by gets excessive, the dip stick indicator will pop up and let you know..

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Ordered PCV bypass LS0038 and a vibrant 12027, and put the crank case under constant vacuum.

Just filled up did 14.7 to the tank, with cam sensor not working regularly. 14-15mpg is avg mpg I see when I don't idle a lot. When I had it working I saw 18-19mpg.

I have a DBC LQ4 that I bought few years ago, need to get it on a stand, was told is has a rod knock. Plan to make a 408 out of it. Freshen up the OEM 317 heads, stick comp cams 54-424-11 cam in it. Specs 212/218° .558/.563" lift with 115LSA.. 1400-6700 "RPM range"

Hopefully puts me around 425-450HP and at least that in TQ 475-500TQ would be awesome..
It get me on par with currently ~400-425hp HP levels current 1/2 tons have..vs the 310hp I had originally.

Going to make it hard to get rid of it 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I

It runs on 87. I used to run my LQ9 on 87
No clue how much difference there is between 317 heads and BP aftermarket LS3 heads cam is close to what I'm looking at, if I get similar power bad and 425-450hp 450-500 TQ the truck would be very pleasant to drive daily

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
No clue how much difference there is between 317 heads and BP aftermarket LS3 heads cam is close to what I'm looking at, if I get similar power bad and 425-450hp 450-500 TQ the truck would be very pleasant to drive daily
The 317 heads are around 71 cc but the LS3 head has a more efficient combustion chamber design. The only advantage to the LS3 is more flow on the top end.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
In other words, my expectations aren't far off from what reality will deliver?
Power wise, probably not. I am not a fan of the LS3 heads as they feel lazy down low. I believe this is basically what I put together for my buddies truck. So not far off from an LQ9 which has flat tops. Which I believe GM advertised at 9.9:1

The fuel milage is close to what he was getting. It doesn't lope much and it was tuned on and he runs 87 octane. But has much more power and is much more responsive. He has to tow his jeep for wheeling trips so he was adamant that it stayed stock...lol

When he came out here to install it, I kept saying Don't be a pussy, just put a cam in it!!! and in front of his stepson.... needless to say he caved. But everytime we speak he says he is so glad he did and that you can barely tell it has a cam. But the difference is night and day.

1000009100.jpg

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Power wise, probably not. I am not a fan of the LS3 heads as they feel lazy down low. I believe this is basically what I put together for my buddies truck. So not far off from an LQ9 which has flat tops. Which I believe GM advertised at 9.9:1

The fuel milage is close to what he was getting. It doesn't lope much and it was tuned on and he runs 87 octane. But has much more power and is much more responsive. He has to tow his jeep for wheeling trips so he was adamant that it stayed stock...lol

When he came out here to install it, I kept saying Don't be a pussy, just put a cam in it!!! and in front of his stepson.... needless to say he caved. But everytime we speak he says he is so glad he did and that you can barely tell it has a cam. But the difference is night and day.

If I was to get heads I'd get some AFR LS1 mongoose 205cc or something comparable. Highly unlikely I'll get anything aftermarket. I'll trade 5k RPM above power for better 2-4k rpm power on a heavy daily vehicle
It was more rough reference point

As for cam stock on my truck is 197/207° and .467"/.497" 116lsa Going to a 212/218° and 558"/563" and 115 LSA which is a failure decent jump, of I go bigger I'll loose too much low end even with the extra displacement and crank stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.