Alignment issues

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
So as the title says im having alignment issues ( i think ) so here goes..
I had my new rims put on 20x12 -40 offset after trimming bumper and adjusting my stock torsion keys on level ground i went to get an alignment at my local town fair tire. Couple days later i walked out to my truck after work and noticed my front passenger side had some positive camber not a whole lot but enough to notice. Brought it back to town fair and they went over the print out with me and argued with me saying its fine yada yada yada, demanded a re alignment and that didnt fix anything. I checked the ball joints myself and they seem fine. Hopefully someone will have a solution or advice

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Does it feel loose or sloppy in corners?
Pretty sure the ONLY way to truly adjust camber on these trucks is with the eccentric cam bolts that hold the UCA to the frame...they typically get adjusted with an alignment...and I bring it up to tell you to check the bolts that hold the UCA in place and double check the tq spec...make sure its not moving around...if it is, it will need another alignment

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
picture of said "camber" will help as well. if you were turning into the spot and still had the tire turned, it can look like postive camber. best way to recheck is to back backup, straighten the steering out and pull back straight in, then get out and look.

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
Pretty sure the ONLY way to truly adjust camber on these trucks is with the eccentric cam bolts that hold the UCA to the frame...they typically get adjusted with an alignment...and I bring it up to tell you to check the bolts that hold the UCA in place and double check the tq spec...make sure its not moving around...if it is, it will need another alignment

No slop in the wheel or anything rides straight and steering wheel is straight.. Ill check the bolts out. Now that you mentioned bolts being loose it got me thinking the other day i hopped in my truck after warming up i threw it in reverse and as soon as i rolled backwards i felt a thud or a "popping" feeling under my feet

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Technically factory specs wants a little postive camber. I believe this is due to the camber going negative with a big load in the back due to the short arm/long arm design. With your wide, offset tires the shop should have set it more close to 0° camber. How I do it at least.

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass

Crap also as im typing all this and reading what you guys are saying i have noticed since i put the rims on around corners between 30mph and up the steering wheel will kinda jerks back and forth, dont know if thats related or not

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I had mine done three times in two months at town fair. Destroyed my two front tires within a couple thousand miles.

Went and had it done again at a real shop and it's been good since then. Needless to say they won't be doing my alignments anymore.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
Yeah town fair sucks... Asked the manager if he needs me to go back there and align that bitch myself cuz clearly your employees cant

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
i had the same issue with mine. i had my truck aligned in vegas when i installed the new tires and alll new steering compenents including ball joints.by the time i made it to ND they showed pretty bad cupping. i was pissed. i took it to some dudes in town that claimed they were the best in ND......and you know what they did a DAMN good job. havent had a problem since.

find a different shop

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
Thats almost perfect, def wouldn't cause tire wear.

I know according to that its almost perfect but you can see the camber from the front. I talked to the guy who works on my truck sent him a few pics and i guess the upper control arm needs to be adjusted

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I know according to that its almost perfect but you can see the camber from the front. I talked to the guy who works on my truck sent him a few pics and i guess the upper control arm needs to be adjusted
I bet what happened is they didn't get the UCA bolts tight enough and its out again. They are hard to get to to properly tighten. I hate doing alignments on Chevy's and i own one. LOL

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
I bet what happened is they didn't get the UCA bolts tight enough and its out again. They are hard to get to to properly tighten. I hate doing alignments on Chevy's and i own one. LOL

It doesnt even look like they touched them, the frame and such was coated with por15 and you can still see it on the bolts and nuts for the UCA. Looks like im taking her elsewhere to get it fixed for good... Last thing i need to do is chew up these brand new meats

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Most town fair shops blows. Everyone i know who had their alignment done at various town fair shops have the same issue. Look around for a well known alignment shop. It took me a while to find the right shop to do mine because of my wheel setup.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It doesnt even look like they touched them, the frame and such was coated with por15 and you can still see it on the bolts and nuts for the UCA. Looks like im taking her elsewhere to get it fixed for good... Last thing i need to do is chew up these brand new meats

Based on that pic, they never were touched. In all reality, I wouldn't have touched them either. Caster looks good for road crown (counters the pulling affect road crown gives), camber is in spec and all I would have done is fix the toe.

Hop under there and look for the sliders to have moved.

Also, a pic of what you consider cambered out would still help

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
Based on that pic, they never were touched. In all reality, I wouldn't have touched them either. Caster looks good for road crown (counters the pulling affect road crown gives), camber is in spec and all I would have done is fix the toe.

Yeah i can try to take a few pics of the sliders and the camber

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass

The sliders are those 4 half moon lookin things on each CA right?