Alignment issues

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Crap also as im typing all this and reading what you guys are saying i have noticed since i put the rims on around corners between 30mph and up the steering wheel will kinda jerks back and forth, dont know if thats related or not

That sounds like the tires "scrubbing" thru a corner, and can be attributed to the wide rims, tires and extra track width...I can't imagine stock alignment specs would work the best for a tire/wheel package thays 2x the width of stock...it also could be a tire out of balance, but IMO, it likely has more to do with positive camber and toe in

GM sets toe at like 1/8" toe in, this helps the truck drive straight and not track the grooves in the road, it makes it "easier" to drive, but its not necessarily the best way to set it up...

I like and request for 1/8" toe out, to necessitate better steer in response, and I ask for 1-1.5° more than stock spec of negative camber, this also helps with turn in, tire scrubbing, and lends itself nicely to my driving style..my tires don't "scrub" until full lock, then things get a little weird and I'll actually start pushing the front end if I'm moving too fast for the extreme steering angle...with the toe and camber set like I request, the truck turns very tight for a lifted rig, heck, its as good as stock as far as I can remember

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Heck, I remember one time not long ago, I got a new set of tires and an alignment...I told the tech how I wanted it set, he said "sign this" and that was that...well, that tech went on lunch and another tech did the alignment...

I didn't know this and drove off when they said it was done...just backing out and moving the wheel felt funny, then I made the turn out of the parking lot, and I was like NO

Come to find out, the tech had set my lifted truck to what he told me was "as close to stock as he could get, with the aftermarket parts I had on the truck"...I about lost it...

That was a bad day for that kid, I was fuming and I gave him such a ration of common sense he turned pale white...I wound up wasting 4hrs that day just on the alignment.
I did get it for free tho...

All that to say, custom extra wide tires would probably benifit from a slightly "custom" alignment, and going to the right place, where a tech is actually a tech, and can make educaded and experienced decisions on his/her own, and knows when and where to make small "custom" adjustments, and doesn't just act like a trained monkey making the right colors show up on a screen, is pretty important...the right shop/people makes all the difference

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
Jesus that sounds awful!! I think id do the same thing haha:roflmao:

You mentioned about my wheel jerking back and forth i forgot to say in my last post that i think one of the wheels in the front is out of balance i get a vibration after 50mph.. Did you happen to look at the pics i posted?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Our alignment guy has been doing it 35+ years. Alignments only. He does amazing alignments in 45 min. He hates deep dish wheels though lol. But if you'll slip him a 20 or an apple pie it puts him in a good mood and you will be impressed with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Jesus that sounds awful!! I think id do the same thing haha:roflmao:

You mentioned about my wheel jerking back and forth i forgot to say in my last post that i think one of the wheels in the front is out of balance i get a vibration after 50mph.. Did you happen to look at the pics i posted?

I did, it appears as though they didn't do a proper alignment for your set up, they probably felt it was good enough, screwed around for a bit on another rig and then said "hey, its ready!"

If you're getting a speed specific vibration it is likely that one of the tires is out of balance, its possible that they put the weight in a less than ideal spot too, since the wheel is so wide, you really need to know where on the circumference to place it, but also where in the width as well... it is also very possible that the extra width, weight, friction and the added harmonic disturbance due to all of those things, from this new wheel/tire package, is simply over taxing the stock IFS components.

Our alignment guy has been doing it 35+ years. Alignments only. He does amazing alignments in 45 min. He hates deep dish wheels though lol. But if you'll slip him a 20 or an apple pie it puts him in a good mood and you will be impressed with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This^^^
Knowledge, experience and good American peeps that love apple pie!
Damn, I wish I was closer
Lol

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Sorry to portray such a dismal opinion of that shops integrity... that's a shame man..but they clearly didn't touch those eccentric cam bolts...that being said, that could mean its tire out of balance, or worst case, the wheels are too heavy and you need to upgrade the tie rods, bushings and maybe even add an upgraded front swaybar...but I'd ask the forum about that one (if a swaybar would help take up some of the wheel related weight issues)

Good luck figuring it out, it can only be one of a few simple things, but an unfortuante nuisance none the less...

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
Sorry to portray such a dismal opinion of that shops integrity... that's a shame man..but they clearly didn't touch those eccentric cam bolts...that being said, that could mean its tire out of balance, or worst case, the wheels are too heavy and you need to upgrade the tie rods, bushings and maybe even add an upgraded front swaybar...but I'd ask the forum about that one (if a swaybar would help take up some of the wheel related weight issues)

Good luck figuring it out, it can only be one of a few simple things, but an unfortuante nuisance none the less...

No I appreciate the honesty, it comes down to them not doing there job correctly and leaving me with a mistake that will cost hundreds. I have no problem doung the swaybar bushings tierods etc if that will help strengthen my front end, i would love to completely "build" my front end,". Already have tierod sleeves, new idler, pitman arms, center link brace. Good thing Black Friday and cyborg monday is here :thumb:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
No I appreciate the honesty, it comes down to them not doing there job correctly and leaving me with a mistake that will cost hundreds. I have no problem doung the swaybar bushings tierods etc if that will help strengthen my front end, i would love to completely "build" my front end,". Already have tierod sleeves, new idler, pitman arms, center link brace. Good thing Black Friday and cyborg monday is here :thumb:

Any time...
If you've already got sleeves, that's substantially stronger than stock already and you really technically wouldn't "need" better tie rods...however, if the ends are shot they'll need to be replaced...I really do believe a sway bar would help, they're not terribly expensive and the truck will corner a ton better, but I don't want to lead you astray with my idea and suggest you ask how effective it really would be...

It really sounds like a bad balance or the alignment needs to be altered for the additional contact patch and width...first thing I'd do is get the toe set out, especially with those wide tires...there's no way I could handle toe in with wide tires...and when you have that alignment double checked, kill 2 in one and have them rebalance both fronts...if the altered alignment and rebalanced tires don't help, try the sway upgrade. If allnthat doesnt work, man, I don't know what else to say...

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
Sounds good to me man, i had the tierod ends with just AC delco but i could always look into something else. Ill make sure i check out all that stuff you said, any brands in mind? Also all said and dont how do u think i would be if i ran those at the track? Too big of a tire and rim?