'82 Duramax Swap Pictures

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
I'm slowly getting the engine finished up.

Here is a quick picture.
newengine.jpg

I'l have more up on the site in a few days.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
I disassembled everything, beadblasted most parts, & painted everything in pieces before bolting it back together.

The link below in my signature shows a lot of the pieces.

I originally was just going to put the engine in completely assembled, but after using over $30 of aluminum cleaner, it still looked dirty. I knew I would not be satisfied until I took it apart & painted everything.

Now about 100 hours later, it is finally getting close to being done.

Little things like painting bolts takes forever.... then chipping them while tightening them & touching them up after it is together.

My Dad & I used to build show cars, so I sort of enjoy doing this.

Obviously, it will never see any mud boggs, or truck pulls, but it will see the drag strip.

Lonnie

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Lonnie
honestly I think it would be easy for your truck to get into a magazine its a work of art

So....when can you clean up my engine and paint it all nice like yours?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Thanks guys,
I put about 20 more pictures in the engine section at the link below.

I'm starting to wonder if I can get any diesel magazines interested in an article.... Anyone have any connections?

Lonnie

THE writer for Diesel Power Mag. is a member of CompetitionDiesel.com. You could contact him through that site if you are a member. If not, let me know and I'll, at the very least, send him a link to your page and a brief note expressing your interest in getting in the mag. :hug:

C-ya

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
Mitch,
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I've been on that site, but never joined.
I'll look into it & see what happens.

Obviously, I have a lot of work to do before I can show any finished pictures... plus spending another huge stack of cash (more stressful than the actual work) before it is done.

At least the dirty part is almost over. Building 2 axles will be the last used parts I have to deal with.

I'll just be glad to hear it run again.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
I finally got the cab set in place after all this time.

With a 1" body lift the trans clears the floor by maybe 1.5" at the closest point. I knew I was cutting it close.

The dipstick was causing some grief at the firewall, so I'll try to get a Lokar flexible one. This allowed me to move the engine back an additional inch.

Here is an update until I get the new pictures (30 more) posted on my website.

enginein.jpg

Lonnie

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I finally got the cab set in place after all this time.

With a 1" body lift the trans clears the floor by maybe 1.5" at the closest point. I knew I was cutting it close.

The dipstick was causing some grief at the firewall, so I'll try to get a Lokar flexible one. This allowed me to move the engine back an additional inch.

Here is an update until I get the new pictures (30 more) posted on my website.

enginein.jpg

Lonnie

:hail2:Looks Awesome

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
I do not see one for the Allison trans, but it seems to have the same lower seal as the Th400. Worst case I can use one of those & re-mark the Full/Add lines to match the stock stick.

Managed to get it on the frame without a single scratch in spite of the 50mph winds we had today. Covered the frame with blankets just in case.

4 of us carried it about 100ft from 1 garage to the other while the 10 degree winds tried to freeze us.

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
lonnie the project looks awsome so far. looking forward to seeing it completed since I have a 79 chevy I was toying with the idea of doing the same thing. only difference is mine is a short bed half ton but I have HD axles for the truck since its lifted. if I find a donor truck I can get motor trans and T case from i'm definately more inclined to follow through with the project now. congrats on the work you have completed so far. looks top notch

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
Simon,
Cool..... I definitely need one. Do you want me to provide them dimensions? I'll need one very soon.

Tinman,
Thanks for the compliments. The swap is turning out to be a large amount of work, but I believe it will be a very good swap once done. The hardest part is determining how much of the swap you want to go through with.

Using the stock transfercase (with an adapter) would make it much easier since the normal style Chevy truck front axles will still work instead of using a Ford front axle. You will probably need a 3" body lift to clear the transfercase linkage.

Keep in mind the stock 8.5" 10 bolt or a d44 front will not live under hard usage, nor will a 10 of 12 bolt 1/2 ton rear. I broke all of them with a 427 big block, so the Duramax will definitely shorten their life.

The frame will need some crossmember mods as the one under the engine will not work without modification.

I am using the '05 dash & column which adds to the troubles. The older stock dash would work with custom gauges, but that is not too bad as I've seen a few of these before.

Lonnie

Last edited: