'82 Duramax Swap Pictures

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
I may have discussed my Duramax swap into my '82 Chevy Tk. with a few of you here & also asked a lot of questions (special thanks to Mike L. & Pat for all the tech advice).

Here is a link to some photos that I have taken so far. Please check back often as the motor is going back together & I'll have more photos up soon when the motor & cab finally come together.

http://www.lonniesperformance.com/82chevyduramax.htm

Lonnie

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Lonnie... have my parts Ive sold you been for this truck? I hope so and that means I have been a part of this build! :) Amazing! I hope to do a swap sometime myself with the help of other pioneers like you guys!

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
Thanks for the feedback.....

Looks like everyone is being good for New Years.

Sikdmax.... Yes, the parts I bought from you are also going on this truck.

Now if I can remember where all the parts go. Painted the engine today & there are parts everywhere. I'm almost done with the dirty part. Still have to paint the starter, alt & AC compressor.

Whats with the factory engine sealer.... $16 for a little 4" caulking tube. Needed this for the intake manifold & oil pan etc., since I decided to remove & bead blast all the engine pieces.

Thanks,
Lonnie

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
I'd have to have a big box for all the left over parts and bolts that I couldn't find the original use for. :D Nice project Lonnie.

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
Had a minor disaster today. While moving my engine across the garage today on the crane (to set it in the frame), a wheel locked up on something & the crane stopped. The engine swung & tipped everything over, dumping the motor on the floor. Once it started to tip, there was nothing I could do to stop it. It fell as gracefully as something 900# could fall, even if it was only a little over a foot. I'm so glad I spent so much time cleaning & painting the pan yesterday..... now the aluminum part is cracked. I had the lower tin part off, so it survived, but the pickup wasn't as fortunate.

Used so many 4 letter words, I had to make up new ones....

So.... are the flywheel bolts 14mm Allen heads? It has to come off to get to the rear 2 pan bolts. It would have been too easy to space them out 1/2" to clear the ring gear I guess.

If anyone has an upper pan & pickup for a reasonable price, send me a PM.

Lonnie

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Had a minor disaster today. While moving my engine across the garage today on the crane (to set it in the frame), a wheel locked up on something & the crane stopped. The engine swung & tipped everything over, dumping the motor on the floor. Once it started to tip, there was nothing I could do to stop it. It fell as gracefully as something 900# could fall, even if it was only a little over a foot. I'm so glad I spent so much time cleaning & painting the pan yesterday..... now the aluminum part is cracked. I had the lower tin part off, so it survived, but the pickup wasn't as fortunate.

Used so many 4 letter words, I had to make up new ones....

So.... are the flywheel bolts 14mm Allen heads? It has to come off to get to the rear 2 pan bolts. It would have been too easy to space them out 1/2" to clear the ring gear I guess.

If anyone has an upper pan & pickup for a reasonable price, send me a PM.

Lonnie

That sucks :( Pat has 3 engines and only one good pan they break easy.

Pat thinks they are 10mm but they could be 14mm.

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
I was originally going to remove the pan after the engine was installed so I did not have to worry about scratching it. But, the rear pan bolts are behind the flywheel, so that was not going to work. So, I spent a lot of time grinding, masking & painting the pan on the engine yesterday for this reason. That sure paid off.....

Things were going too good, something had to happen.

I wanted to get the engine in before it got injured. I could not set it on the pan after it was painted, nor could I let it hang on the crane for a few days. So much for good intentions.

I did put up a few more engine pictures of the painted parts before all the accessories went on.

Lonnie

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I was originally going to remove the pan after the engine was installed so I did not have to worry about scratching it. But, the rear pan bolts are behind the flywheel, so that was not going to work. So, I spent a lot of time grinding, masking & painting the pan on the engine yesterday for this reason. That sure paid off.....

Things were going too good, something had to happen.

I wanted to get the engine in before it got injured. I could not set it on the pan after it was painted, nor could I let it hang on the crane for a few days. So much for good intentions.

I did put up a few more engine pictures of the painted parts before all the accessories went on.

Lonnie

Call me in the morning. You will need a ring gear lock tool and I will loan you mine with the socket if you need. Sorry for the problem.

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
Just a followup post on a few items.

Mike L. has went above & beyond in his efforts to help me out. If you need any trans help, get in touch with him, he has provided a level of support that you just do not find these days.

BlueMax, thanks for the link, I ended up buying that ebay part for a good price.

FYI... GM parts direct has the wrong oil pan listed, theirs is for a medium duty truck & a lot cheaper than the correct one that is not shown on their site.

Merchant Automotive has a few pans in stock if anyone else needs one. Nice friendly people to deal with. If my ebay deal fell through, I was buying one from them.

Hope I did not violate any rules for mentioning these businesses.

Thanks,
Lonnie

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Just a followup post on a few items.

Mike L. has went above & beyond in his efforts to help me out. If you need any trans help, get in touch with him, he has provided a level of support that you just do not find these days.

BlueMax, thanks for the link, I ended up buying that ebay part for a good price.

FYI... GM parts direct has the wrong oil pan listed, theirs is for a medium duty truck & a lot cheaper than the correct one that is not shown on their site.

Merchant Automotive has a few pans in stock if anyone else needs one. Nice friendly people to deal with. If my ebay deal fell through, I was buying one from them.

Hope I did not violate any rules for mentioning these businesses.

Thanks,
Lonnie

Good to hear you have the parts coming:cool2:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Wow i missed this one Lonnie,I was waiting for some more pics
It look so clean and nice,I would be scared to drive it!

I cant wait to see the finished product as im sure you cant either,I did notice that you have a LLY up pipe going back on HMM and the drivers manifold HMM. are you planning on putting the entire EGR system back on also?

what kind of paint did you use on the motor? It looks so nice!

Best of luck with the rest of your project!

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
Thanks guys,

I'm deleting the entire EGR system. Planning on cutting the "T" off of the exhaust tube & putting in an EGT bung.

The engine/trans is painted with "cast coat aluminum". It is about the same color as fresh bead blasted aluminum, but with less maintenance & a little shine. I did not want to leave it bare aluminum because it always discolors. Bare metal requires too much to keep it looking new.

The valve covers, intake manifold & inlet pipes will be painted to match the truck. The red is a custom 2 stage mix that is similar to candy red, but without the 20 coats required to paint it.

I'll post more pictures in a week or so.

Last edited: