'82 Duramax Swap Pictures

Nastybuzzard

Feb 19, 2015
The cluster will be a bear to integrate. Just start cutting & fiber glassing. There is no right way, or easy way for that matter. It may be easier to swap the entire dash. I have seen these done before & they look pretty good.

As far as the heater box, don't do it. Tons of work. You have to rework about every dimension of it to make it fit. Spent weeks on it & regretted it after I started the project.
I was just too stubborn to give up.

Either deal with the factory heater box or try to get an aftermarket under dash setup such as vintage air. It will be much easier.

These two things combined with the wiring was 3x the effort of just doing a Duramax engine swap.

The LS should be easy. Go buy a standalone harness & hook about 10 wires to the existing truck. Leave the rest stock & you will be enjoying it in no time. May not be what you want to hear, but it is the best advice I can give.

Haha definitely not going the easy route. :) I already have it running and "driving" using the donor wiring harness, instrument cluster, steering column and fuel pump. Mine is not a rushed build.

I agree with the heater box, and I do want to keep the 87 style dash in but I do want almost exactly what you have for the instrument cluster surround.

If you look at the end of my thread I posted I am pretty close, but have taken a break to build me a shop and then I plan to tackle it head on until completion.

Also amazing job you are doing! I love your build. I found the picture of your instrument cluster and steering column on google and that is what inspired me for the most part. I always hoped to find who ever had made it and hoped that they would make one I could buy.

Also! I am loving your firebird! I have a 79' TransAm I will doing a LS swap in as well!!

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
Well with enough time, fiberglass & body filler you can build anything.
Just keep forming until you get the shape you like.

I'm contemplating some changes to my design, when I get back to it.

My next venture may be getting the rest of the driveline together.
Hearing it run again is a big motivator.

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
Unfortunately no... I got involved in a bunch of stuff & it has been ignored.

I started building a garage a year ago so I would have enough space to work again.
Things got out of control & I've been consumed with getting the building done.

It will be in a nice place this fall to begin progress once again.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well, at least you're still around. :)

Projects sometimes get pushed back.....I know what you mean. You'll eventually get back around to it.